1 vote (4.34%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
April 17th, 2016 at 5:12:25 PM permalink
I would like to congratulate sunrise089 as the winner of the 2016 WoV Spring Fling Trivia Challenge! With a score of I think 7.5, he was far and away the winner. I think second place had 4 or 4.5.

Here were the questions:

1. According to the song Ride Captain Ride, how many men sailed up from the San Francisco Bay?
  2. The second line* of the Battle Hymm of the Republic was the inspiration for the title of what American novel?
    The Grapes of Wrath (lyrics)
  3. What was the name of the character Johnny Carson played who could devine the answer to questions written on cards in a sealed envelope?
    Carnac the Magnificent
  4. In the 1963 Academy Awards, which actress, and for which movie, gave the shortest acceptance speech at just two words, "thank you."
    Patty Duke for the Miracle Worker (half point for getting one or the other right).
  5. According to a Bruce Springsteen song, how many years in prison might one get for shooting a night clerk?
  6. On which Hawaiian island is the leper colony?
    Molokai
  7. What does ISIS stand for?
    Islamic state of Iraq and Syria
  8. On Mr. Roger's Land of Make Believe, who lived in the Museum Go-Round?
    Lady Elaine Fairchilde (half point give for first or last name only).
  9. Name five television shows to star Lucille Ball with "Lucy" in the title
    I Love Lucy, The Luci-Desi Comedy Hour, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, Life with Lucy (Half a point for four correct answers). Note: Had quite a few groans with this question.
  10. What was the name of Thomas Jefferson's slave by whom he had six children?
    Sally Hemmings
  11. Which president was the first to be proven to grant clemency to a Thanksgiving turkey?
    Kennedy
  12. Where would you find the wreckage of the Sloop John B.?
    Nassau (somebody spelled it Nasa).
  13. What is the name of the gorilla who knows about 1,000 words in sign language?
    Coco
  14. In 1966 in New York City, what was the name of the so-called "Party of the Century," and who threw it?
    Black and White Ball -- Truman Capote (Note: I got some boos for this one being allegedly too hard).
  15. To within ten minutes, how many minutes long was the movie Gone with the Wind?

* Note: The wording used in the actual challenge was "second verse" instead of "second line." There was some controversy over where the second verse starts, so I think, in retrospect, "line" is the better way to ask the question.

The question for the poll is how many would you have got right. Be honest.

The punishment for anyone who missed number 9 is to watch this video:

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mrsuit31
mrsuit31
  • Threads: 82
April 17th, 2016 at 5:23:21 PM permalink
I failed miserably, much like the time I had participated in person at the Venetian. I feel obligated to request some questions that us younger folk may be able to answer in the even I am in attendance again sometime soon. Mind you I was born in 1985 ;)

I still cant believe that hostess didn't know how many points you get for a field goal. SMH. Axel was happy about that one.....
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 17th, 2016 at 5:23:41 PM permalink
I only knew #3
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
April 17th, 2016 at 5:37:22 PM permalink
I would have only gotten three right. Tough questions, but thanks for posting them!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 17th, 2016 at 5:45:23 PM permalink
Who the heck is this sunrise person?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 17th, 2016 at 5:51:14 PM permalink
For what it is worth, I screened about 20 questions off of TeddyS a couple weeks ago. He got all these right or at least came close. Anything he totally didn't know I either eliminated or reworded to make easier.
Last edited by: Wizard on Apr 17, 2016
mrsuit31
mrsuit31
  • Threads: 82
April 17th, 2016 at 6:02:48 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

For what it is worth, I screened about 20 questions off of TeddyS a couple weeks ago. He got all these right or at least came close. Anything I he totally didn't know I either eliminated or reworded to make easier.

Is that supposed to make me feel better or worse about my one correct question??
GWAE
GWAE
April 17th, 2016 at 6:07:16 PM permalink
I got a zero. Actually after reading the answers the only one in should have known was coco and maybe lady elaine. Growing up near Mr Rodgers I should have known it. Mr McFeely still lives near here.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 17th, 2016 at 6:16:39 PM permalink
Three right...the one about the length of GWTW, The Battle Hymn, Carson, and a couple of the Lucy's... Not very good!!

Congrats to the winner!!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 17th, 2016 at 7:35:37 PM permalink
I think it was Doc who was off by one on question one. Ouch!
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 17th, 2016 at 8:30:19 PM permalink

Nope, not I. It was someone sitting to your right. I didn't have an answer at all for that one. And I got the "how many years" answer (#5) correct completely by a wild guess.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 17th, 2016 at 9:04:52 PM permalink
2,3,6,7,10,12,13,14. Half point for black and white ball, I thought Katherine graham threw ir, not truman, there's a famous picture of them at it .

Thanks for posting the quiz. Congrats to sunshine!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 18th, 2016 at 7:31:19 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I thought Katherine graham threw ir, not truman, there's a famous picture of them at it .

This one? The party was in Katherine's honor but Truman threw it.

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 18th, 2016 at 8:01:42 AM permalink
Wizard, thanks for posting the trivia questions.

I have noticed a definite bias in your trivia questions. For years now it seems like a disproportionate amount are in the "Entertainment" category (movies, music, and TV shows). I don't watch movies, i don't listen to music, and I only watch one TV show a week. I also don't recall any sports questions in the past.

In the future I would like to see more diverse categories. If for any reason you want to placate me, include as many sports questions as you do entertainment questions.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 18th, 2016 at 8:08:43 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I have noticed a definite bias in your trivia questions. For years now it seems like a disproportionate amount are in the "Entertainment" category (movies, music, and TV shows).

That's a fair complaint. I'll try to make the questions more diverse next time. BTW, anybody is welcome to host the trivia challenge in the future. Volunteers?
GWAE
GWAE
April 18th, 2016 at 8:12:47 AM permalink
How do people like teddy, bbb, wizard, and everyone else thay does good on this and trivia get their knowledge? I have a really good memory and generally only need told something once and will remember it later but there are so many questions on jeopardy and this trivia thay I have never even heard of. Do jeopardy contestant like people have something in common like doing crossword puzzles or reading non fiction books, or something like that that gives them the extra knowledge.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 18th, 2016 at 8:21:14 AM permalink
I don't understand the questions, much less know the answers. I prolly had like maybe 2 right, but I may have cheated ;-)
It wouldn't help with more sports questions, I'd do worse.
Especially:
Horse racing, football, basketball, baseball, hockey, tennis, skiing, aquatics ( is that the word ).
Worse than all the above, golf.
Mountaineering might get me to 3 or more out of 15, if all 15 were mountaineering. Prolly not.....
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 18th, 2016 at 8:23:22 AM permalink
I'm pretty fair at trivia (usually won at Trivial Pursuit, back in the day), due not to intelligence but to wide reading.

I've always read the paper daily, also a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction.

I think what helped the most was my reading World Book encyclopedia regularly (and intently) for many years as a lad.
"What, me worry?"
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 18th, 2016 at 8:57:07 AM permalink
I got 3, 6, 7, 9 (yes, 9 - it helps to be a Known TV Addict), 10, and 13. I would have gotten 2 as well, except that I confused The Battle Hymn of the Republic with America, the Beautiful. (And yes, "grapes of wrath" is in the second line of the first verse; the words appear nowhere else in the song.)

IIRC, of the five answers to #9, you can make a case for three of them being the "odd one out" without having anything to do with the cast or the fact that they have different titles or aired in particular years. Which ones?

The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour is the only hour-long one
The Lucy Show is the only one with both black-and-white and color episodes
Life with Lucy is the only one not to air on CBS

On a related subject, if I may, here's one:
Which of these sitcoms is the odd one out:
The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Gilligan's Island
The Lucy Show
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle, USMC
F Troop
My Three Sons
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched

Green Acres is the only one not to have at least one season in black and white and at least one season in color

Doc
Doc
April 18th, 2016 at 9:15:08 AM permalink
With regard to #2 and the footnote, the lyrics are available at this site. It is clear that the intended phrase is in the second line of the first verse.

I knew that I had heard the second verse before, but I had no idea of those lyrics. I do/did know the first verse and am confident I would have gotten that one right if the question had been worded as on the list in this thread. Of course, getting that one would have increased my 4.5 second-place finish to 5.5, still far short of the winning score, so it's only nerdiness that gives it any importance to me.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 18th, 2016 at 9:52:22 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I got 3, 6, 7, 9 (yes, 9 - it helps to be a Known TV Addict), 10, and 13. I would have gotten 2 as well, except that I confused The Battle Hymn of the Republic with America, the Beautiful. (And yes, "grapes of wrath" is in the second line of the first verse; the words appear nowhere else in the song.)

IIRC, of the five answers to #9, you can make a case for three of them being the "odd one out" without having anything to do with the cast or the fact that they have different titles or aired in particular years. Which ones?

The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour is the only hour-long one
The Lucy Show is the only one with both black-and-white and color episodes
Life with Lucy is the only one not to air on CBS

Thanks to Ted Turner's lack of respect for original content, there are "color" versions of "I Love Lucy". They look odd.

The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Gilligan's Island
The Lucy Show
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle, USMC
F Troop
My Three Sons
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched

Green Acres is the only one not to have at least one season in black and white and at least one season in color

My guess was "Gomer Pyle, USMC" as it was the only one of the list that was a spin-off.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 18th, 2016 at 10:07:50 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Gilligan's Island
The Lucy Show
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle, USMC
F Troop
My Three Sons
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched

I am totally worthless at this crap, but my guess for the newest list was the same as Doc's. I watched black and white, I watched color, 3D does weird things to my head. Progress is progress, I wish I could just keep up.......
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Apr 26, 2016
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 18th, 2016 at 10:11:28 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Gilligan's Island
The Lucy Show
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle, USMC
F Troop
My Three Sons
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched

I am totally worthless at this crap, but my guess for the newest list was the same as Doc's. I watched black and white, I watched color, 3D does weird things to my head. Progress is progress, I wish I could just keep up.......

Now how in God's name did my response wind up over there instead of where it' supposed to be over here? Apparently I broke the damn thing. Going to hide under the fridge now before the grapes of wrath track me down.....
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Apr 26, 2016
Doc
Doc
April 18th, 2016 at 10:12:39 AM permalink

I am totally worthless at this crap, but my guess for the newest list was the same as Doc's.

Does that mean you didn't make a guess? I didn't.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 18th, 2016 at 10:20:53 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Does that mean you didn't make a guess? I didn't.

I guessed. Does my response look as odd ( on the wrong part of the screen ) to you as it does to me? I'm responding from under the fridge, I'm gonna hit 'post', then I may run for the hills....

<edit> That looks better. I wasn't sure my old truck would get me all the way to the hills....

<2nd edit> seriously now, did my last couple posts appear under the Avatar on the left side of the screen, instead of in the normal flow of posts, quotes, and responses on the right side of the screen? That is the way they appeared, and still appear, on my screen. I swear I am mostly sober. I will attempt now to take a screen shot of my previous screens. Maybe I can sell them on E-Bay ;-)

<3rd edit> screen shot saved. I am not as crazy as I feared. Still, I broke the damn thing.
RR+1
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on Apr 18, 2016
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 19th, 2016 at 12:36:10 PM permalink
That was brutal. I'm usually good for a handful, but this one smoked me. I might (MIGHT) have guessed Kennedy for the turkey, but even that was a long shot. That aside, the only one I got was Coco the Monkey, and that was solely because of my knowledge of Kruger Industrial Smoothing.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 19th, 2016 at 1:07:35 PM permalink
Quote: Face

That was brutal. I'm usually good for a handful, but this one smoked me. I might (MIGHT) have guessed Kennedy for the turkey, but even that was a long shot. That aside, the only one I got was Coco the Monkey, and that was solely because of my knowledge of Kruger Industrial Smoothing.

Gosh darn it Face! I asked a serious question for a change, and I know you were looking at the thread. Did you see anything weird, or you didn't see anything weird, or are you just ignoring the question? Gosh dag nabbit! You see, the Internet with it's friends in the the clouds, along with the NSA, are conspiring against me. I thought at least YOU would understand. I'm on my own it seems. I'm still here, but I'm preparing for instantaneous evacuation/relocation to elsewhere. It's taking a bit longer than I expected (sigh).
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 19th, 2016 at 1:15:30 PM permalink

edited

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 19th, 2016 at 1:16:02 PM permalink
Neither, I was waiting. I had no idea what you were talking about so didn't have anything to say, figured I'd just keep my eyes open.

Literally right now, trying to reply to you, it's done something weird to me, too. All the ads are on the left and overlapped over the avatar and onto the text portion.

Just a funky bit of code. Used to see it a lot with tables, but those were mostly user error. Occasionally someone will come in and break something just by doing something that hasn't been done before. Perhaps a bug in all of the spoilers and quotes of spoilers? Who knows. But I suspect it'll clear up once we go to a new page. If it doesn't or if it becomes common I'll go shake JB out of bed =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 19th, 2016 at 1:31:12 PM permalink

I guessed. Does my response look as odd ( on the wrong part of the screen ) to you as it does to me? I'm responding from under the fridge, I'm gonna hit 'post', then I may run for the hills....

You had one too many close-quote ([/q]) blocks. What the board software thought was the last one was inside a spolier block. That's what caused the problem.

Speaking of problems, why is it that this particular thread is putting up a floating "Recommended Online Casinos" box along the left side of the page?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 19th, 2016 at 1:32:35 PM permalink

Neither, I was waiting. I had no idea what you were talking about so didn't have anything to say, figured I'd just keep my eyes open.

Literally right now, trying to reply to you, it's done something weird to me, too. All the ads are on the left and overlapped over the avatar and onto the text portion.

Just a funky bit of code. Used to see it a lot with tables, but those were mostly user error. Occasionally someone will come in and break something just by doing something that hasn't been done before. Perhaps a bug in all of the spoilers and quotes of spoilers? Who knows. But I suspect it'll clear up once we go to a new page. If it doesn't or if it becomes common I'll go shake JB out of bed =)

I am also seeing the ads on the left side of the page. This in Firefox.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 19th, 2016 at 1:53:05 PM permalink

I am also seeing the ads on the left side of the page. This in Firefox.

Apparently I broke the damn thing, once again it's all my fault.. I lashed out at Face, my bad, I'm still up for the upcoming coup. My screens from a page or two up in this thread still are indecipherable, I must not have the proper decoder ring.

I read, sometimes I post, if the end is coming right now, well, it was fun! Cheers, 2F.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 19th, 2016 at 2:13:16 PM permalink
I started off so well, got 1, 2, & 3 (sort of, knew Carnac, but left off "the Magnificent"), then I only got ISIS and Coco (I believe the correct spelling is Koko). I guess that's 4.5. These were toughies.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 26th, 2016 at 7:44:12 AM permalink

Apparently I broke the damn thing, once again it's all my fault.. I lashed out at Face, my bad, I'm still up for the upcoming coup. My screens from a page or two up in this thread still are indecipherable, I must not have the proper decoder ring.

I read, sometimes I post, if the end is coming right now, well, it was fun! Cheers, 2F.

I fixed it for the most part. It was a misplaced close quote inside brackets. For future reference...so you can come out from under the fridge. :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 26th, 2016 at 10:27:17 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

(I believe the correct spelling is Koko).

Looks like you're right (source).

tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 26th, 2016 at 11:02:57 AM permalink

Same here, I'm usually about 50% on these, got the monkey, but I would have also spelled it Koko. And Lady Elaine for 0.5 points. I knew 3 of 5 Lucy shows. :(

My educated guess for "Gone with the Wind" was off by 13 minutes. :(
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
April 26th, 2016 at 3:42:19 PM permalink
I meant to post in this thread earlier. Still catching up...

Nope. That was me. I said 72. But since I am disqualified for being a prior winner, it didn't hurt much. (Yeah, right)

On the other hand, I got Carnac The Magnificent, in full, as well as Koko, spelled right. But that's where it ended. I only got 3 Lucy's and a fairly blank page for the rest.

But what I DID get was a Wizard autograph on the answer sheet used when I won the trivia challenge at the 2014 G2E dinner. Yeah, I still carry that answer sheet with me! :D
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
  • Jump to: