No votes (0%)
3 votes (33.33%)

9 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
January 19th, 2016 at 2:07:12 PM permalink
Rather than keep making new threads for each unicycle video, I'm going to post my adventures here.

As background, I started to unicycle after my juggling partner got me interested when I lived in Baltimore, starting about 1995. When I moved to Las Vegas I feel out of it for years. However, I got back into it about two years ago as a fun way to stay in shape. I fully admit my level is quite low. I ride to live as long as I can and for the joy of the hobby.

Here is my latest video, taken a few days ago. It was taken at Rat Beach, which is at the southern most part of Redondo Beach. My ultimate goal is to ride Fargo Street, which is the steepest street is Los Angeles.

The question for the poll is what do you think of unicycles?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
January 19th, 2016 at 2:35:17 PM permalink
I ride my bike a lot but unicycling seems like a pretty fun hobby also.

BTW, can you juggle while riding? When I was a teen I juggled quite a bit. Since I could ride my bike no-hands I decided to try to do both. It didn't require any practice. It turns out juggling and no-hands riding are independent skills. I'm curious if the same is true for unicycling, or if it is like learning a new, third skill.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 19th, 2016 at 2:37:56 PM permalink
Polls that don't have a bigot option are
a waste of time.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 19th, 2016 at 2:56:13 PM permalink
Quote: jml24

BTW, can you juggle while riding? When I was a teen I juggled quite a bit. Since I could ride my bike no-hands I decided to try to do both. It didn't require any practice. It turns out juggling and no-hands riding are independent skills. I'm curious if the same is true for unicycling, or if it is like learning a new, third skill.

Yes, I can! I'm good at both but doing them at the same time is tough, at least for me. Unicycling is a lot harder than riding a bike without hands. The speed of the bicycle and the handlebar as a balancing tool make it a lot easier. Nevertheless, unicycling isn't that hard. I think with about 40 hours of practice you could be puttering around on it.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 19th, 2016 at 3:06:58 PM permalink
Nice job!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 20th, 2016 at 1:34:39 PM permalink
The part I always enjoy is the double takes of the strolling on-lookers. Some are not sure if they they should stop and watch. You can see the guy in this video watches Mike pass by, then a few steps later, after thinking about what he just saw, stops to look back and see if Mike made it.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 21st, 2016 at 1:21:15 PM permalink
I've written about this before, but I have been having a great deal of frustration with myself over self-mounting my 36" wheel unicycle. I learned how last year and even made a video about how to do so:

However, I don't know what happened, but one day I somehow didn't have the confidence to do it, and I've been struggling to get back to my original place ever since. I have done it literally hundreds of times. I know how to do it. The problem is that I don't know that I know how. When it is just me and the unicycle it doesn't matter how many times I've done it before, self doubt sets in and I fail. This is the kind of thing you absolutely must have confidence to do. If you make a half-hearted effort you will fail.

There was a line in the movie Creed that seems to get to the core of my problem. I'm paraphrasing here but Rocky was saying to young Creed, "Your biggest opponent in the ring and in life is that guy in the mirror." That is 100% the problem with me. I know I can do it but when it is just me and the unicycle all my self-loathing comes to the surface and tells me that I suck, am talent-less, and can't do it.

It would probably take 20 years of therapy to get past the core problem. However, by that time I'll be too old to physically do it. My strategy is to just keep trying. Note that I'm not asking for advice. If anybody could help me then that person should write a self-help book and it would sell millions of copies.

I guess the reason for this post is to vent my frustration. I just spent an hour trying today and not one single successful attempt. Thank you for listening.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 21st, 2016 at 1:46:00 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I've written about this before, but I have been having a great deal of frustration with myself over self-mounting my 36" wheel unicycle. I learned how last year and even made a video about how to do so:

However, I don't know what happened, but one day I somehow didn't have the confidence to do it, and I've been struggling to get back to my original place ever since. I have done it literally hundreds of times. I know how to do it. The problem is that I don't know that I know how. When it is just me and the unicycle it doesn't matter how many times I've done it before, self doubt sets in and I fail. This is the kind of thing you absolutely must have confidence to do. If you make a half-hearted effort you will fail.

There was a line in the movie Creed that seems to get to the core of my problem. I'm paraphrasing here but Rocky was saying to young Creed, "Your biggest opponent in the ring and in life is that guy in the mirror." That is 100% the problem with me. I know I can do it but when it is just me and the unicycle all my self-loathing comes to the surface and tells me that I suck, am talent-less, and can't do it.

It would probably take 20 years of therapy to get past the core problem. However, by that time I'll be too old to physically do it. My strategy is to just keep trying. Note that I'm not asking for advice. If anybody could help me then that person should write a self-help book and it would sell millions of copies.

I guess the reason for this post is to vent my frustration. I just spent an hour trying today and not one single successful attempt. Thank you for listening.

I really liked that "can on a string" trick that cross-country rider was using. Trying it would not just give you a literal step up, it would change the routine that's failing you. btw, I think you called it a "stick" when you talked about it before, but it appeared clear on the video (to me, anyway) that it was clothesline or a thin rope. Certainly easier to carry with you than an awkward stick.

Creed is probably a good quote for you, but also remember Yoda: "Do, or do not: there is no try."
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 21st, 2016 at 4:29:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I really liked that "can on a string" trick that cross-country rider was using. Trying it would not just give you a literal step up, it would change the routine that's failing you. btw, I think you called it a "stick" when you talked about it before, but it appeared clear on the video (to me, anyway) that it was clothesline or a thin rope. Certainly easier to carry with you than an awkward stick.

Creed is probably a good quote for you, but also remember Yoda: "Do, or do not: there is no try."

I really disliked that trick. Lugging around a can is something I don't want to do. Plus, much like Charlie Brown and the football, I really want to master it the proper way. I must say that I did try collapsing hiking poles. I could see that working with a lot of practice but I really want to do it the proper way.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 21st, 2016 at 4:44:21 PM permalink
Perhaps the surface conditions were working against you? Would you be more successful on a slight downhill slope? It might help to get a little rolling momentum.

Also, take heart in knowing that even the advanced riders I have seen on YouTube are not 100% successful on their 36's. Don't give up!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 22nd, 2016 at 9:55:41 PM permalink
36" wheel? I hope that thing has a brake. 1 revolution is almost ten feet. How fast can you go on that thing? Also, what happens when you get to a hill? I think you would almost have to jump up on it and just go. Good luck.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 24th, 2016 at 10:41:56 AM permalink
I'm going to close this thread as I forgot I already have another thread titled Unicycle Corner.
  • Jump to: