Thread Rating:

Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 89
June 11th, 2014 at 11:40:20 AM permalink
I am still WAY out of shape for this, but it will be fun.
aahigh.com
Ahigh
Ahigh
July 5th, 2014 at 12:27:48 PM permalink
This is coming up. I am still out of shape and I have not been doing any exercise to prepare. I am so used to going solo on my trips downtown and walking. I am starting to worry that I'm not up to doing this.
aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1423
July 5th, 2014 at 1:02:22 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I am starting to worry that I'm not up to doing this.

Would I be breaking forum rules if I made chicken noises?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 5th, 2014 at 2:45:11 PM permalink

This is coming up. I am still out of shape and I have not been doing any exercise to prepare. I am so used to going solo on my trips downtown and walking. I am starting to worry that I'm not up to doing this.

He's hustling you!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ahigh
Ahigh
July 5th, 2014 at 5:25:43 PM permalink
I have one-wheel balancing skills. I'm just old and I run out of breath easily is all.

<image deleted>

That shot is more than ten years old already. LOL. I haven't even touched a motorcycle in over a year.

We'll figure out something that's not totally embarrassing (I hope).
aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 6th, 2014 at 2:42:18 PM permalink

Okay, how about I give you a handicap and we observe these separate routes:

Red = Ahigh
Blue = Wizard
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 110
July 6th, 2014 at 3:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Okay, how about I give you a handicap and we observe these separate routes:

How do you handle the traffic lights?

How about this circuit. It is 0.75 miles. I'm open to some kind of punishment for each time the feet hit the ground. How about either eating one McNugget or doing one squat thrust (what many call a burpee).

Sorry, but I'm in pedantic mode today, but to be honest, I thought they were the same thing (thanks to a junior high school gym PE teacher) until a few years ago. A squat thrust is just the "legs out, legs back" part of a burpee (put another way, a burpee starts in a standing position and goes "squat down, legs out, legs back, stand up").
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 6th, 2014 at 4:07:08 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

How do you handle the traffic lights?

I think we'll have to negotiate the details tomorrow at McDonalds. I'd prefer to keep it simple and if you get/fall off then you just have to get back on again. You lose time having to mount the unicycle doing so. I'd also prefer to see a rule that only self-mounts are allowed.

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm in pedantic mode today, but to be honest, I thought they were the same thing (thanks to a junior high school gym PE teacher) until a few years ago. A squat thrust is just the "legs out, legs back" part of a burpee (put another way, a burpee starts in a standing position and goes "squat down, legs out, legs back, stand up").

I think you're right. When I worked at a summer camp in 1989 a squat thrust was like a burpee, but you didn't have to jump, just stand up.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 110
July 6th, 2014 at 4:32:00 PM permalink

I think you're right. When I worked at a summer camp in 1989 a squat thrust was like a burpee, but you didn't have to jump, just stand up.

You don't have to stand up at all for a squat-thrust, AFAIK - your hands are always on the ground. (Remember the old Superstars TV series? Whenever they had "worldwide" competitions, one of the events was a pull-ups and squat-thrusts, and this is how the squat-thrusts were done on that show.) I don't remember any "jumping" for a burpee, either.

The way I learned them:
There are three positions - (1) standing up, (2) "squat", with hands touching the ground, and (3) the "up position" for push-ups (hands on the ground, arms extended, legs extended behind you).
A squat-thrust starts with #2 and goes 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3,...
A burpee starts with #1 and goes 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2,...

As for falling, there are rules for unicycle racing, although in most cases, unicycle races appear to be done on running tracks. Apparently, if falling off is allowed (normally, it's an automatic DQ), you have to get back on at the point where the fallen unicycle stands, without running to it; if you fell across the finish line, you have to go back behind the line, remount, and cross on the unicycle.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 6th, 2014 at 4:46:58 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

A squat thrust is just the "legs out, legs back" part of a burpee (put another way, a burpee starts in a standing position and goes "squat down, legs out, legs back, stand up").

Any of you who have met me know that it is obvious that I do not participate in such calisthenics. At least I haven't in decades. However, I do remember the terminology that they used in Army basic training back in 1969. There/then a squat thrust was a 4-count exercise with each rep starting and ending in the standing position, exactly as ThatDonGuy described a burpee (which I had never heard of before). A related exercise was the 8-count pushup, which was the same as a squat thrust, except that while in the legs-out position you added two pushups, down-up-down-up.

• Jump to: