Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 26th, 2014 at 2:27:46 PM permalink
A former Baltimore Colt told me that one year there was an offensive lineman on the Browns who unknowingly tipped off by his foot placement if it was to be a running play. Jim Brown still ran for over 1,000 yards in just 12 games that year.

But I admire him most for his work with gangs in inner cities. I remember when Magic Johnson was going to bring movies theaters into black neighborhoods. And Montel William was going to work for black communities after his TV show. Now I see those two guys doing TV commercials for Rent-A-Centers and Pay Day loans.

Richard Pryor used to do a hilarious bit about Jim Brown. Will try and find it.

GOT IT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6e1sP7v_hk
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
February 26th, 2014 at 2:50:45 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Richard Pryor used to do a hilarious bit about Jim Brown. Will try and find it.

GOT IT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6e1sP7v_hk

Richard Pryor was indisputably the greatest comedian of all time. Anyone who believes otherwise is wrong.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
February 26th, 2014 at 2:56:30 PM permalink
Quote: gpac1377

Richard Pryor was indisputably the greatest comedian of all time. Anyone who believes otherwise is wrong.

Gpac, that's ridiculous. George Carlin was the greatest of all time. It's true, he didn't accomplish as much as Pryor, but that's only because he was out sick with the flu for three weeks in 1977.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 26th, 2014 at 2:58:52 PM permalink
one of the mods should split this thread. The original topic was a good one IMO. Not that this hockey one isn't but its not the OT.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 26th, 2014 at 3:09:13 PM permalink

Gpac, that's ridiculous. George Carlin was the greatest of all time. It's true, he didn't accomplish as much as Pryor, but that's only because he was out sick with the flu for three weeks in 1977.

Carlin bombed on TV, Rickles bombed on tv, dumb tv viewers.
Richard Pryor, had he died when he set himself on fire, would be remembered as great comedian.
But too many people remember the shell of a man he was after that.
Richard walked off stage at the Comedy Club, half way thru this act, mumbling he was not funny anymore.

Loved the into line on his website, when he was at death's door from MS

" I am not dead yet, motherf*ucker "
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
February 26th, 2014 at 3:39:11 PM permalink

Carlin bombed on TV, Rickles bombed on tv, dumb tv viewers.
Richard Pryor, had he died when he set himself on fire, would be remembered as great comedian.
But too many people remember the shell of a man he was after that.
Richard walked off stage at the Comedy Club, half way thru this act, mumbling he was not funny anymore.

Loved the into line on his website, when he was at death's door from MS

" I am not dead yet, motherf*ucker "

Richard Pryor wins because The Toy was awesome.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 26th, 2014 at 4:06:30 PM permalink

Well played, sir.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 26th, 2014 at 4:15:01 PM permalink
Long live Russel Peters!!! He is the best!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 26th, 2014 at 4:28:07 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

one of the mods should split this thread. The original topic was a good one IMO. Not that this hockey one isn't but its not the OT.

Agreed. I made the mess, I'll fix it when I get home (don't wanna try to split on a clunky phone and erase the whole thread)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 26th, 2014 at 4:34:37 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

And this from another observer :

The only top-ten all-time rusher who even approaches Brown’s totals, Barry Sanders, posted a career average of 99.8 yards per game and 5.0 yards per carry. However, Barry Sanders’ father, William, was frequently quoted as saying that Jim Brown was “the best I’ve ever seen.”[26]

Its late in the sidetrack, but I would like to opine that Jim Brown was the best rusher I ever saw. Barry Sanders could just escape like a magician, and Walter Payton stands between them. Sanders retired not wanting to break Sweetness' record, an homage to greatness, I will say this about these three and one O.J. Simpson, the D knows they're getting the ball, nearly every play, and always when it counts.

Sanders retired not wanting to have to learn a brand new system from the Lions, and a brand new set up for the 42nd in his career. Or what felt like it. He busted a gut for a team that seemed to never really appreciate what they had in him. I hope this doesn't happen with Megatron as well, but that seems unlikely... there's something different about how he's treated.

I'd go for Sanders over Brown, but I'm a biased Lions fan (This is not a insult, Face. Not even a self-insult :p). Brown is second, Payton third. But it's much closer than the debate about Gretsky.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: