2 votes (5.4%)
9 votes (24.32%)
15 votes (40.54%)

37 members have voted

teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 39
December 29th, 2020 at 7:35:13 AM permalink
One of the pleasures I get from final Jeopardy is a special challenge of trying to guess the answer based on only knowing the category just as it goes to commercial. I've succeeded three times over the years in guessing the answer without knowing the question.

Most recently the category was "German Americans." I managed to guess the answer based on the category alone. Let's see who gets it first.
Last edited by: teliot on Dec 29, 2020
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 21
December 29th, 2020 at 8:23:16 AM permalink
Quote: teliot

One of the pleasures I get from final Jeopardy is a special challenge of trying to guess the answer based on only knowing the category just as it goes to commercial. I've succeeded three times over the years in guessing the answer without knowing the question.

Most recently the category was "German Americans." I managed to guess the answer based on the category alone. Let's see who gets it first.

Arnold?
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 7
December 29th, 2020 at 8:23:45 AM permalink

...Most recently the category was "German Americans." I managed to guess the answer based on the category alone. Let's see who gets it first.

Who was Roebling?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 110
December 29th, 2020 at 8:26:47 AM permalink

Trump. (DJT)
teliot
teliot
December 29th, 2020 at 8:29:58 AM permalink
Three good guesses -- bzzzt to them all.

My wife guessed "Einstein," which was also the wrong answer given by one of the contestants. We give ourselves partial credit if we get the same wrong answer as a contestant. Again, this is before knowing the question.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
December 29th, 2020 at 8:34:35 AM permalink

If you are referring to the Final a few weeks ago, I would not have guessed it by the category alone, but I did get it with the clue.

Albert Einstein, but I figured he would be too obvious for a Final answer.

One of my Final Jeopardy pleasures is getting the answer right when the three contestants missed it. I can probably count the times that has happened on one hand.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
teliot
teliot
December 29th, 2020 at 8:58:55 AM permalink
Joeman, you got the same wrong answer as my wife.

One of the informal rules for blind guesses on Final Jeopardy is the "too famous"/"too obvious" rule. For that reason, Einstein and Trump could not possibly be the correct answers.

Yes, this was the category just a couple of weeks back.

RIP
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 45
December 29th, 2020 at 9:10:35 AM permalink

I also enjoy guessing the answer Of final Jeopardy.
I have only succeeded twice.
Einstein was my guess but knew it was probably wrong due to the too obvious clause.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 110
December 29th, 2020 at 9:17:10 AM permalink
George Clooney. And or Brad Pitt.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
Thanks for this post from:
miplet
December 29th, 2020 at 9:28:22 AM permalink

Three good guesses -- bzzzt to them all.

My wife guessed "Einstein," which was also the wrong answer given by one of the contestants. We give ourselves partial credit if we get the same wrong answer as a contestant. Again, this is before knowing the question.

I so rarely get the final question correct that I consider my answer good enough if one of the contestants guesses it.
Living longer does not always infer +EV

• Jump to: