9 votes (24.32%)
15 votes (40.54%)

37 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 5th, 2014 at 2:44:28 PM permalink
BBB (Beachbumbabs) challenged me to take the Jeopardy online test in another thread, so I just signed up. The test is this Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. I'm taking it at 5:00 PM on Wednesday. The signup process was very simple and took only a few minutes.

I'm 90% sure I'm not Jeopardy worthy, but it will be fun to take the test. I'm especially sure I won't do well against the curve, because I expect a high percentage of my competition to cheat, most likely with having lots of friends in the room as lifelines. You get only 15 seconds per questions, which isn't enough time to search, at least for me.

I certainly welcome other members to sign up and post their scores here, at the risk of me having the lowest one. The question for the poll is will you take the test?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 5th, 2014 at 2:49:18 PM permalink
I signed up for the same time as you. I am as dumb as a box of rocks. This should be entertaining.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 5th, 2014 at 2:49:47 PM permalink
They don't tell you your score. If you score high enough, you get an e-mail a few months later with an invitation to take an in-person test. The in-person test also weeds out the people who cheat on the online test.

Edit -- Just checked my records. Took the online test both times in January. Received emails in April and May with an invitation to the in-person test. So you don't even know if you did well enough for the first several months after the online test.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:04:26 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The test is this Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. I'm taking it at 5:00 PM on Wednesday.

FYI: Once you are registered, you may take ANY of the three online tests.

The tests this year are

Jan 7 -- 7 pm EST, 4 pm PST

Jan 8 -- 8 pm EST, 5 pm PST

Jan 9 -- 10 pm EST, 7 pm PST

It doesn't matter when you take it, because they put all the scores together and then take a certain number from the top.

You can only log in to a test once, so you should only log in and take a test a certain day if you are sure you can finish it.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 5th, 2014 at 3:07:51 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I signed up for the same time as you. I am as dumb as a box of rocks. This should be entertaining.

I'm too stupid to figure out how to sign up. That makes me dumber than a box of rocks.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:14:20 PM permalink
Another tip for test-takers.

there is no reason to ever press the "submit" button for a question. the test will capture whatever is in the response box when the 15-second timer is at 0. if you press submit, it takes you to the next question immediately. you should instead not press submit and use that time to check your answer or to rest.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 5th, 2014 at 3:22:56 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

The in-person test also weeds out the people who cheat on the online test.

It wouldn't weed out all of them. Let's say cheating added only three extra points to your total. Those might be the three points you needed to get invited to an audition, and three questions is well within the margin of error for a 50-question test.

They don't tell you your score. If you score high enough, you get an e-mail a few months later with an invitation to take an in-person test. The in-person test also weeds out the people who cheat on the online test.

Thanks. At least now I won't be embarrassed when BBB outscores me by 20 points, because we'll never know for sure.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 5th, 2014 at 3:25:32 PM permalink

FYI: Once you are registered, you may take ANY of the three online tests.

The tests this year are

Jan 7 -- 7 pm EST, 3 pm PST

Jan 8 -- 8 pm EST, 5 pm PST

Jan 9 -- 10 pm EST, 7 pm PST

Something wrong with the Jan 7 times (4 hours difference): please doublecheck if you're doing it on that day. I am also doing it Wed, same time as Wizard.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:30:42 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Something wrong with the Jan 7 times (4 hours difference): please doublecheck if you're doing it on that day. I am also doing it Wed, same time as Wizard.

Thanks, it's 7 pm est, 4 pm pst. fixed.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:34:00 PM permalink

It wouldn't weed out all of them. Let's say cheating added only three extra points to your total. Those might be the three points you needed to get invited to an audition, and three questions is well within the margin of error for a 50-question test.

Yeah, but the point is that anyone who does well enough on the written test, and has a good enough personality, and fits a demographic they want/need for a taping, is who qualifies. The online test is just a way for them to have less people show up for the written test.

Now, of course people will cheat on the online test, but it's pointless. Because if you're cheating so much that you will bomb the written test, you just wasted your time on the online test, and your time and money to travel to the written test, which is typically at 9 am on a workday.

And if you were just adding a few points to your online test by cheating, it was within the margin of error anyway, and you will either pass or fail the written test based on the question selection, not knowledge level.

Granted, if you cheated on the online test, you may be "freerolling" that the written test question selection may be toward your strength. But if you don't have the chops to pass the tests, you're not going to do well on the show, anyway.

And Jeopardy does NOT pay for first-time contestants to attend a taping, either. Travel, food, and hotel are all on you.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 5th, 2014 at 3:51:22 PM permalink

Yeah, but the point is that anyone who does well enough on the written test, and has a good enough personality, and fits a demographic they want/need for a taping, is who qualifies. The online test is just a way for them to have less people show up for the written test.

I still maintain that if you cheat your probability of getting on the show increases by some amount greater than 0%. Let's say that your probability of getting each answer correct is 80%, and they require a score of 40 or more to get an audition. Then it takes a score of 43 to get on the show based on the audition test.

Without cheating you have a 58.4% chance of passing the online test. If we assume cheating gives you an extra three points, then with cheating your odds of passing the online test are 88.9%.

On the actual test your odds of passing, through luck, are 19.0%.

Pr (get on show without cheating) = 58.4% * 19.0% = 11.1%.
Pr (get on show with cheating) = 88.9% * 19.0% = 16.9%.

So, cheating gives you an extra 5.8% chance of getting on the show.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
January 5th, 2014 at 4:02:03 PM permalink
I signed up a couple weeks ago for the Jan. 9 test at 7pm. The info on the Jeopardy site does indeed make it sound like there are tens of thousands of players hoping to qualify for a slot in the in-person test, then get on the show. If I do well on this online test, they have up to 18 months to call me in for the written test. I figure there's only 200 new episodes of Jeopardy per year (not counting weekends or the Teen and teachers tournaments, or Tournament of Champions, etc), so each ep has a returning champ, leaving 2 slots for new players, so 400 new contestants per year? Out of the tens of thousands who are taking these tests online? Not good odds, but you can't win if you don't play.

I watch Jeopardy every night and do pretty well. I wonder if we all get the exact same test.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 5th, 2014 at 4:05:28 PM permalink
It took me a full 2 min to decide which city I wanted to go to for the written test.

About the same time I smacked myself for even thinking it even mattered which location I chose.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 4:07:42 PM permalink

I still maintain that if you cheat your probability of getting on the show increases by some amount greater than 0%. Let's say that your probability of getting each answer correct is 80%, and they require a score of 40 or more to get an audition. Then it takes a score of 43 to get on the show based on the audition test.

Without cheating you have a 58.4% chance of passing the online test. If we assume cheating gives you an extra three points, then with cheating your odds of passing the online test are 88.9%.

On the actual test your odds of passing, through luck, are 19.0%.

Pr (get on show without cheating) = 58.4% * 19.0% = 11.1%.
Pr (get on show with cheating) = 88.9% * 19.0% = 16.9%.

So, cheating gives you an extra 5.8% chance of getting on the show.

Yeah, you convinced me. The written test removes a lot of the potential gained by cheating the online test, but I guess not all of it. If you're going to cheat on the online test though, you'd better be close enough to passing it without cheating.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 4:09:25 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I signed up a couple weeks ago for the Jan. 9 test at 7pm. The info on the Jeopardy site does indeed make it sound like there are tens of thousands of players hoping to qualify for a slot in the in-person test, then get on the show. If I do well on this online test, they have up to 18 months to call me in for the written test. I figure there's only 200 new episodes of Jeopardy per year (not counting weekends or the Teen and teachers tournaments, or Tournament of Champions, etc), so each ep has a returning champ, leaving 2 slots for new players, so 400 new contestants per year? Out of the tens of thousands who are taking these tests online? Not good odds, but you can't win if you don't play.

I watch Jeopardy every night and do pretty well. I wonder if we all get the exact same test.

I have been told by the producers that if you make it into the final contestant pool, you have a "50-50" chance of getting on the show. In my experience, if you are a woman or ethnic minority, that jumps up to 99%. I have qualified twice and haven't made it, so maybe I am in that unlucky 25%.

Every person taking the test gets the same questions for that test day. There are three test days so there are three sets of questions.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 5th, 2014 at 4:17:35 PM permalink

most likely with having lots of friends in the room as lifelines.

That's pretty much what they do. They get
weeded out in the next step, but that doesn't
do you any good if a bunch of cheaters beat
you out and you never get to the 2nd step.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
zippyboy
zippyboy
January 5th, 2014 at 4:28:21 PM permalink
Eagerly awaiting teddys' input on his experiences a few years ago. I remember he told the story, but I'm too lazy to look for it.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
January 5th, 2014 at 5:28:18 PM permalink
I'll take a pass on the test. I can usually answer 80-90% of the single Jeopardy questions, but only 10-20% of the Double Jeopardy questions.
So even if I was to qualify for the show, I'm not winning.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 5th, 2014 at 7:10:35 PM permalink
The message board at The Straight Dope has some threads about past online tests.

Here are some threads with questions and answers (either in spoiler tags or a separate post) from last year:

Questions #1 (and answers)

Questions #2 (answers in spoiler tags)

Questions #3 (answers in spoiler tags)
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 5th, 2014 at 7:58:37 PM permalink
Wiz, get Teddy, Babs, and Pierce online when
you take the test. Who cares how you get to
the next step, just get there. If the 4 of you
don't know the answer to the questions,
nobody does. Do Skype with all of them
at the same time, it'll be fun.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 5th, 2014 at 8:13:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Wiz, get Teddy, Babs, and Pierce online when
you take the test.

Putting ethical issues aside, all three of them are located on the east coast.

Quote:

Who cares how you get to
the next step, just get there.

At least one person agrees with me that cheating would improve my odds.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 5th, 2014 at 8:15:00 PM permalink
I myself will be in the Central time zone that night. And taking the same test at the same time. Hmmmm....
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 5th, 2014 at 8:21:47 PM permalink

I myself will be in the Central time zone that night. And taking the same test at the same time. Hmmmm....

With so many people cheating to get to
the 2nd step, you almost have to join them.
The point is getting into the process, then
you're on your own. If you have morals so
lofty it bothers you, we have a name for that.

Runner up.
zippyboy
zippyboy
January 5th, 2014 at 9:30:34 PM permalink
Wow, Bob, it will be my absolute pleasure to get on TV without any cheating if it comes to that. While I agree with your "anything goes in early stage" philosophy, there's pride in attaining that stage on my own, ya know?
plus.....I don't know anyone or live with anyone smart enough to help me
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 5th, 2014 at 9:43:28 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Wow, Bob, it will be my absolute pleasure to get on TV without any cheating if it comes to that. While I agree with your "anything goes in early stage" philosophy, there's pride in attaining that stage on my own, ya know?

Yup. Those people are usually called 'the losers'.
But they have their pride, so friends will nod
sympathetically when they explain why people
far dumber than them made it to the second
step.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 10:42:40 PM permalink
First of all you don't need to cheat on the online test. I took it straight up and both times it was very easy for me. So to preemptively call people who don't cheat on it losers is absurd.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 5th, 2014 at 11:03:06 PM permalink
In order to pass the online test, do you need to be in the top N contestants (or top N% of contestants), or do you need a score above some fixed X?

If it's the latter, cheating shouldn't help you at all (and the number of other people who cheat doesn't matter).

If it's the former, cheating MAY help, but it also may not, so long as they make the bar for the in-person test significantly higher.
bdc42
bdc42
  • Threads: 3
January 5th, 2014 at 11:28:11 PM permalink
so you've "passed" it twice and didn't receive a call? maybe you didn't pass it? I think using a friend to take would help a lot, but I plan on doing it myself too.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2014 at 12:26:06 AM permalink
Quote: bdc42

so you've "passed" it twice and didn't receive a call? maybe you didn't pass it? .

Lol. Exactly.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 6th, 2014 at 7:23:50 AM permalink

And Jeopardy does NOT pay for first-time contestants to attend a taping, either. Travel, food, and hotel are all on you.

In my experience, this is untrue. The production company takes care of one coach class, round-trip airline ticket, lunch at the studio commissary (if necessary), and breakfast/snacks in the green room. Lodging is the responsibility of the participant, but they give a discount at a nearby full-service hotel.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 6th, 2014 at 7:37:50 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
January 6th, 2014 at 7:49:35 AM permalink
Good luck to the Wizard and everyone else who tries.
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
January 6th, 2014 at 8:36:49 AM permalink

Quote: teddys

In my experience, this is untrue. The production company takes care of one coach class, round-trip airline ticket, lunch at the studio commissary (if necessary), and breakfast/snacks in the green room. Lodging is the responsibility of the participant, but they give a discount at a nearby full-service hotel.

I was a contestant on Wheel of Fortune 5 years ago. Being a Sony show like Jeopardy, I imagine the process is pretty much the same.

Round trip ticket to California? Nope.
Lodging taken care of? Not exactly.
Breakfast and lunch? Sort of.

Every contestant on Wheel is guaranteed $1,000.
On Jeopardy, 2nd place wins $2,000, and 3rd place wins $1,000.

So while you have to take care of your own transport to and from California, they do now give you some cash for being on the show. They do have a hotel that lodges contestants, but that's up to you to pay for. No breakfast.

Lunch is interesting. They tape 5 or 6 shows in a day. If you are still there after taping #3, they provide lunch for contestants (delivery pizza). Friends and family must fend for themselves by visiting a restaurant outside of the studio, no commissary. And if they don't get back on time, they don't get back into the studio. My wife almost didn't make it.

This will be my 3rd time taking the Jeopardy online test, with no response from the first two. At age 37, my recollection is getting slow, and I feel like I'm already past my prime for being on the show. Even in my prime, I don't feel like I'd have done well, but it's worth a go.

And while you're at it, check out the Jeopardy Archive - It catalogs almost every clue and answer, from just about every game from all 30 seasons.
-Dween!
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
January 6th, 2014 at 8:46:35 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

At age 37, my recollection is getting slow, and I feel like I'm already past my prime for being on the show. Even in my prime, I don't feel like I'd have done well, but it's worth a go..

I don't know very much trivia, and my brain takes at least 2 seconds to look up the things I do know, which is far too slow for Jeopardy. Everything is always at the tip of my tongue.
I heart Crystal Math.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
January 6th, 2014 at 10:19:11 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

At age 37, my recollection is getting slow

Still a youngster! :)
Fighting BS one post at a time!
sodawater
sodawater
January 6th, 2014 at 11:12:07 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

When I auditioned in May 2012, the producers told me they do not provide airfare, hotels, or per diem. They did say that 3rd place is guaranteed $1000, however it takes 3+months to receive that money after you appear, so travel and lodging costs definitely have to come out of pocket.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2014 at 11:54:34 AM permalink
Why anybody would want to be on Jeapardy is a mystery.
You embarrass yourself enough in your regular life, not
you want to do it on national TV? Masochism..
sodawater
sodawater
January 6th, 2014 at 12:26:35 PM permalink
Because it is fun and not everyone will be embarrassed? And some people win lots of money?

I am convinced that if I ever got on the show, I would clean up. Most Jeopardy contestants select clues terribly and wager terribly.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2014 at 12:35:39 PM permalink

Because it is fun and not everyone will be embarrassed? .

It's embarrassing taking the test and not
getting selected, let alone going on the
show.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 6th, 2014 at 7:06:51 PM permalink
Saw the show tonite (like most nights) and mention of the on-line contest. Meh, I'm fairly good, but there is that timing issue with the button.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 6th, 2014 at 8:13:23 PM permalink
Why is it embarrassing to take a risk and not succeed? You don't have to tell anyone you took the test, and probably only the top 1% are selected. If you weren't selected, there's nothing to be embarassed about.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 6th, 2014 at 8:39:44 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Why is it embarrassing to take a risk and not succeed? You don't have to tell anyone you took the test, and probably only the top 1% are selected. If you weren't selected, there's nothing to be embarassed about.

You can only be embarassed with your cooperation. Me, sink or swim, I'm gonna try for it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2014 at 8:59:00 PM permalink

You can only be embarassed with your cooperation. Me, sink or swim, I'm gonna try for it.

I'll make a prediction. None of you taking the silly
test will be selected and I'll be embarrassed for
the lot of you.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 6th, 2014 at 9:13:25 PM permalink
Bob, you keep talking that way and I might have to take the test just to prove you wrong.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 6th, 2014 at 9:22:30 PM permalink
I'd be proud just to get on Jeopardy, even if I crashed and burned on the show. Just passing the tests and auditions would be a badge of honor.
sodawater
sodawater
January 6th, 2014 at 9:27:34 PM permalink
wizard, i think you would do pretty well on jeopardy.

most jeopardy players are CLUELESS (pun?) as to proper strategy for selecting clues and HOPELESS as to proper daily double and final jeopardy wagering. At the very least, you would have a huge advantage in those three areas.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2014 at 9:33:55 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Bob, you keep talking that way and I might have to take the test just to prove you wrong.

We could cheat on the test but we don't know
anybody smart enough to give us the answers.
Perdition
Perdition
January 7th, 2014 at 4:47:55 PM permalink
Was the first day of the test today? Anyone get drawn and want to say how they did?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 7th, 2014 at 5:42:36 PM permalink

wizard, i think you would do pretty well on jeopardy.

most jeopardy players are CLUELESS (pun?) as to proper strategy for selecting clues and HOPELESS as to proper daily double and final jeopardy wagering. At the very least, you would have a huge advantage in those three areas.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes, I bang my head against the wall at the feeble wagers on the daily doubles. However, I would need to get some questions right in the first place to have anything to wager with.

My test is tomorrow. I'll try to do a video capture of it to share the questions later.
Perdition
Perdition
January 8th, 2014 at 8:18:37 AM permalink
Good luck on your test today Wizard and anyone else taking it!

On an unrelated note, are you still planning the trip to go see the Northern Lights Mr. Wizard?
  • Jump to: