9 votes (24.32%)
15 votes (40.54%)

37 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1310
January 5th, 2014 at 2:44:28 PM permalink
BBB (Beachbumbabs) challenged me to take the Jeopardy online test in another thread, so I just signed up. The test is this Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. I'm taking it at 5:00 PM on Wednesday. The signup process was very simple and took only a few minutes.

I'm 90% sure I'm not Jeopardy worthy, but it will be fun to take the test. I'm especially sure I won't do well against the curve, because I expect a high percentage of my competition to cheat, most likely with having lots of friends in the room as lifelines. You get only 15 seconds per questions, which isn't enough time to search, at least for me.

I certainly welcome other members to sign up and post their scores here, at the risk of me having the lowest one. The question for the poll is will you take the test?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 5th, 2014 at 2:49:18 PM permalink
I signed up for the same time as you. I am as dumb as a box of rocks. This should be entertaining.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 63
January 5th, 2014 at 2:49:47 PM permalink
They don't tell you your score. If you score high enough, you get an e-mail a few months later with an invitation to take an in-person test. The in-person test also weeds out the people who cheat on the online test.

Edit -- Just checked my records. Took the online test both times in January. Received emails in April and May with an invitation to the in-person test. So you don't even know if you did well enough for the first several months after the online test.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:04:26 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The test is this Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. I'm taking it at 5:00 PM on Wednesday.

FYI: Once you are registered, you may take ANY of the three online tests.

The tests this year are

Jan 7 -- 7 pm EST, 4 pm PST

Jan 8 -- 8 pm EST, 5 pm PST

Jan 9 -- 10 pm EST, 7 pm PST

It doesn't matter when you take it, because they put all the scores together and then take a certain number from the top.

You can only log in to a test once, so you should only log in and take a test a certain day if you are sure you can finish it.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 5th, 2014 at 3:07:51 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I signed up for the same time as you. I am as dumb as a box of rocks. This should be entertaining.

I'm too stupid to figure out how to sign up. That makes me dumber than a box of rocks.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:14:20 PM permalink
Another tip for test-takers.

there is no reason to ever press the "submit" button for a question. the test will capture whatever is in the response box when the 15-second timer is at 0. if you press submit, it takes you to the next question immediately. you should instead not press submit and use that time to check your answer or to rest.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1310
January 5th, 2014 at 3:22:56 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

The in-person test also weeds out the people who cheat on the online test.

It wouldn't weed out all of them. Let's say cheating added only three extra points to your total. Those might be the three points you needed to get invited to an audition, and three questions is well within the margin of error for a 50-question test.

They don't tell you your score. If you score high enough, you get an e-mail a few months later with an invitation to take an in-person test. The in-person test also weeds out the people who cheat on the online test.

Thanks. At least now I won't be embarrassed when BBB outscores me by 20 points, because we'll never know for sure.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
January 5th, 2014 at 3:25:32 PM permalink

FYI: Once you are registered, you may take ANY of the three online tests.

The tests this year are

Jan 7 -- 7 pm EST, 3 pm PST

Jan 8 -- 8 pm EST, 5 pm PST

Jan 9 -- 10 pm EST, 7 pm PST

Something wrong with the Jan 7 times (4 hours difference): please doublecheck if you're doing it on that day. I am also doing it Wed, same time as Wizard.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:30:42 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Something wrong with the Jan 7 times (4 hours difference): please doublecheck if you're doing it on that day. I am also doing it Wed, same time as Wizard.

Thanks, it's 7 pm est, 4 pm pst. fixed.
sodawater
sodawater
January 5th, 2014 at 3:34:00 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It wouldn't weed out all of them. Let's say cheating added only three extra points to your total. Those might be the three points you needed to get invited to an audition, and three questions is well within the margin of error for a 50-question test.

Yeah, but the point is that anyone who does well enough on the written test, and has a good enough personality, and fits a demographic they want/need for a taping, is who qualifies. The online test is just a way for them to have less people show up for the written test.

Now, of course people will cheat on the online test, but it's pointless. Because if you're cheating so much that you will bomb the written test, you just wasted your time on the online test, and your time and money to travel to the written test, which is typically at 9 am on a workday.

And if you were just adding a few points to your online test by cheating, it was within the margin of error anyway, and you will either pass or fail the written test based on the question selection, not knowledge level.

Granted, if you cheated on the online test, you may be "freerolling" that the written test question selection may be toward your strength. But if you don't have the chops to pass the tests, you're not going to do well on the show, anyway.

And Jeopardy does NOT pay for first-time contestants to attend a taping, either. Travel, food, and hotel are all on you.

• Jump to: