Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
December 20th, 2013 at 8:41:27 AM permalink
I recently installed an app on my iPad (also available on Android) called Tic Tactics. It's a Tic Tac Toe game with a multi-level twist.

There are 9 simultaneous games occuring. In whichever square you make your move, that's the gameboard your opponent takes their next move. In the game below, the O PLAYER is about to make a move in the CENTER GAME in the LOWER LEFT square. That means the X PLAYER will make their next move in the LOWER LEFT gameboard (outline is highlighted in pink)

Here is the tutorial video that explains the basic rules.

The winner is the player who claims 3 games in a row. If an individual game ends in a tie, it becomes a WILD board that either player can use.

Note 1: If you are sent to a gameboard that has already been claimed by a player, your move only dictates which board they will play next. You may not get a different 3-in-a-row to steal a gameboard.

Note 2: If you are sent to a gameboard that is full, you get a free move anywhere.

What strategies would you employ to win? I've been playing for about a week now, and have discovered a few methods that have helped me along, but they aren't foolproof.
-Dween!
Stoney
Stoney
  • Threads: 2
December 20th, 2013 at 9:19:18 AM permalink
a cheap way to start... phase 1) pick the center square of the center board. your opponent then selects any of the outer squares. you select the center square of that board, sending him back to the middle. repeat this process until you have the center square on every board. you sacrifice a win on the middle board to have an advantage on every other board.

phase 2) play any spot that does not send them back to a board where they have 2 existing, even if they can't make a line. this should give you a 2:1 advantage on every board since most of their moves were spent in the center board. then, wherever they go, you can make a line, and their next move should send you to a new board.... I think. I'm having trouble thinking that abstractly about every possible move/board layout.

BUT, if you played a smart player this won't work because they would do to you what you did to them, and keep sending you back to play the same board... but since this is a new spin on a game they might not consider that play.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
December 20th, 2013 at 9:41:28 AM permalink
The only winning move is not to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
December 20th, 2013 at 10:58:53 AM permalink
Stoney, while your strategy phase 1 has merit, it is not directly accessible at game start... although a variant of that is useful as the game progresses.

At the beginning of Tic Tactics, each player secretly chooses 9 squares to occupy.
- No one may choose dead center.
- Maximum 2 squares per gameboard.
- Each of the 9 positions may only be represented once.
- If both players choose the same square, no one claims it.

First player has restrictions as well on the very first regular move.
- May not choose dead center.
- May not claim a gameboard with 3 in a row.
-Dween!
ann07cor
ann07cor
  • Threads: 0
February 22nd, 2018 at 4:49:08 PM permalink
definitely)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
February 22nd, 2018 at 5:33:12 PM permalink
I wonder if this post bumper will get nuked or just suspended a while.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: