Thread Rating:

DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 405
January 11th, 2020 at 8:45:28 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

<snip>Now in the "Novelty Song" category, from the mid-80's:

Well, what happened next is hard to tell,
Some thought it was heaven others thought it was hell,
But the fact that something was among us was plain to see.


Dog Hand



Well, BBB was on the right track. This quote is from the Ray Stevens classic "Mississippi Squirrel Revival":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU


Now in the category "One Hit Wonders" comes this entry from 1969:

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
Gotta have a friend in Jesus


Dog Hand
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
January 11th, 2020 at 11:31:04 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: DogHand

<snip>Now in the "Novelty Song" category, from the mid-80's:

Well, what happened next is hard to tell,
Some thought it was heaven others thought it was hell,
But the fact that something was among us was plain to see.


Dog Hand



Well, BBB was on the right track. This quote is from the Ray Stevens classic "Mississippi Squirrel Revival":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU


Now in the category "One Hit Wonders" comes this entry from 1969:

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
Gotta have a friend in Jesus


Dog Hand



”Spirit in the Sky”, Norman Greenbaum. Greenbaum was in the Jim Kweskin Jug Band, as Bruno Wolf. The Jim Kweskin Jug Band was where Maria Muldaur got her start.
NO KILL I
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 405
January 12th, 2020 at 5:00:32 AM permalink
Mosca,

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, a radio DJ prefaced his playing of this tune with the comment, "Here's a medley of Norman Greenbaum's greatest hit."



Continuing the "One Hit Wonder" category, we have this entry from 1972:

There's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down


Dog Hand
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
January 12th, 2020 at 6:59:01 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Mosca,

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, a radio DJ prefaced his playing of this tune with the comment, "Here's a medley of Norman Greenbaum's greatest hit."



Continuing the "One Hit Wonder" category, we have this entry from 1972:

There's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down


Dog Hand



That song has a catchy tune, but it is really disturbing. So she works in a bar, and is pining forever for some guy she sees once in a while? And he tells her she’s the girl for him, but he’d rather go away to sea for months rather than commit? Put that one in the dictionary, under “dysfunctional”. Oh: The Looking Glass. “Brandy”.
NO KILL I
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
January 12th, 2020 at 7:36:51 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Mosca,

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, a radio DJ prefaced his playing of this tune with the comment, "Here's a medley of Norman Greenbaum's greatest hit."



Continuing the "One Hit Wonder" category, we have this entry from 1972:

There's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down


Dog Hand




Pretty sure this has Greenbaum aka Bruno Wolfe playing kazoo.

NO KILL I
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 405
January 12th, 2020 at 3:04:23 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Quote: DogHand

Mosca,

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, a radio DJ prefaced his playing of this tune with the comment, "Here's a medley of Norman Greenbaum's greatest hit."



Continuing the "One Hit Wonder" category, we have this entry from 1972:

There's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down


Dog Hand



That song has a catchy tune, but it is really disturbing. So she works in a bar, and is pining forever for some guy she sees once in a while? And he tells her she’s the girl for him, but he’d rather go away to sea for months rather than commit? Put that one in the dictionary, under “dysfunctional”. Oh: The Looking Glass. “Brandy”.



Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I guess "One Hit Wonder" is your wheelhouse category, Mosca.

Dog Hand
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14230
January 12th, 2020 at 3:13:10 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: Mosca

Quote: DogHand

Mosca,

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, a radio DJ prefaced his playing of this tune with the comment, "Here's a medley of Norman Greenbaum's greatest hit."



Continuing the "One Hit Wonder" category, we have this entry from 1972:

There's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down


Dog Hand



That song has a catchy tune, but it is really disturbing. So she works in a bar, and is pining forever for some guy she sees once in a while? And he tells her she’s the girl for him, but he’d rather go away to sea for months rather than commit? Put that one in the dictionary, under “dysfunctional”. Oh: The Looking Glass. “Brandy”.



Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I guess "One Hit Wonder" is your wheelhouse category, Mosca.

Dog Hand



I would guess, though Mosca is much better at this than I am, that we're of similar ages, and late 60s thru end of 70s is our music, with some overlap from our parents. That was also a time when jukeboxes were a nickel, then a dime or 3/25, and we kept them fed wherever we were.

I come up second on most of these that Mosca gets in that time frame. Don't know a large percentage or the rest. I see one, go "ooh! One I can answer!" Then scroll down, and Mosca has it already. Lol.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
January 12th, 2020 at 4:09:47 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: DogHand

Quote: Mosca

Quote: DogHand

Mosca,

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, a radio DJ prefaced his playing of this tune with the comment, "Here's a medley of Norman Greenbaum's greatest hit."



Continuing the "One Hit Wonder" category, we have this entry from 1972:

There's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down


Dog Hand





That song has a catchy tune, but it is really disturbing. So she works in a bar, and is pining forever for some guy she sees once in a while? And he tells her she’s the girl for him, but he’d rather go away to sea for months rather than commit? Put that one in the dictionary, under “dysfunctional”. Oh: The Looking Glass. “Brandy”.



Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I guess "One Hit Wonder" is your wheelhouse category, Mosca.

Dog Hand



I would guess, though Mosca is much better at this than I am, that we're of similar ages, and late 60s thru end of 70s is our music, with some overlap from our parents. That was also a time when jukeboxes were a nickel, then a dime or 3/25, and we kept them fed wherever we were.

I come up second on most of these that Mosca gets in that time frame. Don't know a large percentage or the rest. I see one, go "ooh! One I can answer!" Then scroll down, and Mosca has it already. Lol.



Yes Babs, same age, same top 40 lists. Back then, as teenagers we were glued to the radio. I can write, “But she’s tied to the dock and she can’t get free,” and you can hear the hook for “Come on Down to My Boat Baby” by Every Mother’s Son! Or, “di di dididi di di dididi” is “Western Union” by The Five Americans! I could run off two dozen without thinking about it. “Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye”? The Casinos. “Hot Smoke and Sasafrass”... by Bubble Puppy.

I get them because I have insomnia, get up at 3AM and answer.
NO KILL I
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
January 12th, 2020 at 4:30:52 PM permalink
Everyone thinks their musical era is the best, and I’m not going to disagree with that. But from the early 60s through the mid 70s or so, AM and FM radio was a phenomenon: DJ Jim Ladd described it as “the tribal drum”. Radio was influential before that, and has been since, but that was a time of extreme flux in musical styles, along with the zenith of the A&R system of promoting the music, the “star makers”. That congruence produced a lot of really, really catchy and memorable tunes for those of us who lived it.


Just an interesting side note: most of the hits were performed by small sets of studio musicians. There was The Wrecking Crew in L.A, Muscle Shoals in Alabama for Atlantic Records, and others in NYC, Detroit, etc. The Wrecking Crew played on almost everything in the ‘60s and ‘70s. Carol Kaye is possibly the most recorded musician in history.

NO KILL I
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 1776
January 12th, 2020 at 4:54:24 PM permalink

----------------------

Quote: Gialmere

Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide


I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.

  • Jump to: