rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
February 4th, 2013 at 5:35:11 PM permalink
shouldnt these words also include an attempt at a phonetic spelling so we know how to pronounce them?
CLOUDW4LKER
CLOUDW4LKER
  • Threads: 3
February 5th, 2013 at 3:40:38 AM permalink
as I, due to my nationality, was asked to participate:

the word you want to learn is: scheisse

means: shit
is pronounced like: shice-ä whereas the ä is a sound I dont know how else to describe (sounds like a gone wrong cough)

can be used: always
knowledge is power
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 16th, 2013 at 10:04:44 AM permalink
In another thread I suggested to Teddy [Teddys] that happy days will be here again - someday. I am sure of it, they always do come eventually.

It may not have been clear, but I was thinking about employment. At the unemployment peak [employment low] I can remember some people saying it might be 2017 [or something like that] for jobs to come back like they were. Seemed extreme, but ...

Meanwhile I thought of the old song. Why is it that I like it so much in German, or at least this version? I can understand few of the words, yet it seems so uplifting. Actually, there is a good chance it's all changed around for German, judging by Google Translate's take on the song title.

Wochenend und Sonnenschein = Weekend and Sunshine [per Google]

In any case, see if you don't get a kick out of this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afM0dgJv_p8
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 16th, 2013 at 10:09:16 AM permalink
You raised the issue and it was answered.

Don't expect engraved invitations and seating charts... ain't gonna happen.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 16th, 2013 at 10:11:22 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Oh, from my tiny store of German, I'd be careful using the word "gift." Of course maybe I have it all wrong.

Means Poison.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 16th, 2013 at 10:16:44 AM permalink
HOPS is what the Puritans wanted to be in beer.

Bare feet? Beer in some societies is started with saliva.

Best beer? Perfumes, stabilizers, surficants, etc. It ain't beer.
I have no idea about German beers these days, but about Germans and beer I recall my days in an International Students Dormitory. I met a German girl out on the sundeck at about 8:20am and she invited me to her room to have a beer. Made me think of those bumperstickers: Beer... no longer just for breakfast.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 16th, 2013 at 12:50:40 PM permalink
Uh, never suspected Wikipedia would cover this, but sure enough ...

Quote: wikipedia article

The German lyrics are very different in spirit from the English ones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wochenend_und_Sonnenschein

also,

http://www.elyrics.net/read/c/comedian-harmonists-lyrics/wochenend-und-sonnenschein-lyrics.html

Well, hell, for a lift in spirits it still works.

Any Germans that can say how popular this ever was?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 16th, 2013 at 3:37:53 PM permalink
Since I'm moving to West Virginia in the near future I'll quote Mother Maybelle:

"There's a dark and a stormy side of life. There's a bright and a sunny side too ...

...keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side..."
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 16th, 2013 at 4:10:12 PM permalink
More Americans have German rooted surnames than any other ethnic group. This is attributed to the many migrations of Germans to North America in the last 400 years. My own surname, Crimm, is an anglicized version of Grimm. My Grimm ancestors arrived in Orangeburgh, South Carolina in 1735 during the Palatine Migration to the American colonies.

There are multi-thousands of Grimm's in Germany/Switzerland today. One of the questions in my genealogical journey has been: Am I related to the Brother's Grimm who wrote the fairy tales....and I also think were credited with writing the first German dictionary. I've been DNA tested enough to know that not all Grimm lines are genetically related. And there are many professional genealogists who contend that the Brother's Grimm descendent lines have died out.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
  • Jump to: