mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 13th, 2010 at 11:23:23 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Here is a good trivia question involving PNG, "What do Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica and Papua New Guinea have in common?"
Hint: The question refers to something about government.

Their titular monarch is the Queen of England?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 13th, 2010 at 11:40:45 PM permalink
Not been a Queen (or King) of England since about 1700....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 14th, 2010 at 12:08:20 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Not been a Queen (or King) of England since about 1700....

Great Britain, then, or the Commonwealth...
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
December 14th, 2010 at 8:04:17 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Their titular monarch is the Queen of England?

Is it bad that I sniggered at the Queen being referred to as titular?
[This space is intentionally left blank]
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 14th, 2010 at 10:19:35 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Great Britain, then, or the Commonwealth...

James I was the king of England, Wales,and Scotland in 1603. In 1707 the parliaments of England and Scotland were joined so that Queen Anne became the Queen of Great Britain (a single name was chosen because it was now a unified government, and she was no longer monarch of the individual realms).

Since 1801 the monarch has been king/queen of United Kingdom. In the 20th century when the empire broke up, the monarch is Queen of the UK and the commonwealth realms. The Commonwealth realms are those countries in the commonwealth that still recognize her as head of state. There are 16 of them including the major ones of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and 13 other countries. Papua New Guinea is the only one without a predominately Anglo citizenry.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 14th, 2010 at 10:32:13 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Is it bad that I sniggered at the Queen being referred to as titular?

Yes. To the stocks with ye!....hehe
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 14th, 2010 at 11:21:27 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

James I was the king of England, Wales,and Scotland in 1603. In 1707 the parliaments of England and Scotland were joined so that Queen Anne became the Queen of Great Britain (a single name was chosen because it was now a unified government, and she was no longer monarch of the individual realms).

Since 1801 the monarch has been king/queen of United Kingdom. In the 20th century when the empire broke up, the monarch is Queen of the UK and the commonwealth realms. The Commonwealth realms are those countries in the commonwealth that still recognize her as head of state. There are 16 of them including the major ones of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and 13 other countries. Papua New Guinea is the only one without a predominately Anglo citizenry.

Until 1801, the British Royal Family also claimed "King of France" in their title as well.

But that was what I was alluding to, in that there is no Queen of England (England is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but referring to the whole as "England" and "English" is rather annoying to those of use with Scots and Welsh ancestry... it's a bit like referring to the USA as "California" all the time).

I think Jamaica is also predominately not an Anglo citizenry, and I'm pretty sure the same can be said for Belize and Barbados.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 16th, 2010 at 7:15:18 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Until 1801, the British Royal Family also claimed "King of France" in their title as well.

But that was what I was alluding to, in that there is no Queen of England (England is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but referring to the whole as "England" and "English" is rather annoying to those of use with Scots and Welsh ancestry... it's a bit like referring to the USA as "California" all the time).

I think Jamaica is also predominately not an Anglo citizenry, and I'm pretty sure the same can be said for Belize and Barbados.

Demography of the 16 commonwealth realms

0) UK

Primarily European descent
1) Canada: Canadian (32%), followed by English (21%), French (15.8%), Scottish (15.1%), Irish (13.9%), German (10.2%), Italian (4.6%), Chinese (4.3%), North American Indian (4.0%), Ukrainian (3.9%), and Dutch (Netherlands) (3.3%)

2) Australia: 90% of the population being of European descent

3) New Zealand: 78% identify with European ethnic groups

Caribbean
4) Jamaica: 91.2% African descent, mixed 6.2%, other or unknown 2.6%
5) Antigua and Barbuda: 91% African descent or Mulatto, 4.4% mixed race, 1.7% White, and 2.9% other (primarily East Indian and Asian).
6) Saint Kitts and Nevis: 90.4% African descent , mulatto 5%, Indo-Pakistani 3%, British, Portuguese, Lebanese 1%, Other 0.6%
7) Barbados: 90% African descent of all Barbadians (also known colloquially as Bajan).
8) The Bahamas: 85% Afro-Bahamians.
9) Grenada: 82% African descent, Mulatto 12% Indians 3% and whites 2.9%, trace Arawak/Carib Amerindian
10) Saint Lucia: 80% African descent, Mulattos, Quadroons, zambos, Blasians, Dougla 12%, East Indian 3%, White, 2.0%, and East Asians and Middle eastern3%.
11) Saint Vincent and the Grenadines: 66% African descent, East Indians 6%, Carib Amerindian 2%, Mixed Race 19%, White (including Portuguese) 4%, Other 3%

Central America
12)  Belize: Mestizos comprise about 34% of the population, Kriols 25%, Spanish 15%, Maya 11%, and Garinagu 6%.

Pacific
13) Solomon Islands: Melanesian (94.5%). Polynesian (3%) and Micronesian (1.2%)
14) Tuvalu: primarily of Polynesian ethnicity
15) Papua New Guinea has more languages than any other country, with over 820 indigenous languages, representing twelve percent of the world's total. It is one of the most heterogenous places on earth with literally hundreds of ethnic groups. Major ethnic groupings are:
Melanesians
Papuans
Negritos
Micronesians
Polynesians

• Jump to: