EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
December 2nd, 2010 at 6:34:32 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Every time I saw the character Gilligan, I could only think of Maynard G. Krebs.

I have to say, Gilligan was the most forgettable character on that show. When I remember it, I never ever think of him. Its always the girls or Thurston Howell and Lovey or the Skipper. Never Gilligan.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 2nd, 2010 at 8:28:37 PM permalink
Speaking of "Gilligan's Island," I can't resist bringing this up:

"...Besides I've only seen one episode of that insipid show."
"Which one was it? I know then all!"
"It was the one where that innocuous dunderhead Gilligan ruined it for everybody."
"I don't think I've seen that one."

I'm not saying what show that exchange came from...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1338
December 2nd, 2010 at 10:33:46 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

You would think by now someone would have found the actor and used him in a commercial campaign. Until the early 1990s I found less than half the people you talked to rememberd "Chuck" but now most everyone does. But no one knows the actor. So why not get him in some ads for say AMEX Card and how you get treated well even if no one knows who you are.

That's a good idea. According to Wikipedia, two actors played Chuck. The Chuck question bothers me almost as much as who "Mr. Sanders" is, as I wrote about in my first blog entry.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 6th, 2010 at 7:38:53 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Pakistan or Indonesia.

Sorry for the tardy confirmation on my question on the fourth most populous country. Indonesia is the right answer. Since Bob submitted two answers he gets only half a point, but that is enough to win. So Bob, you get the honor of asking the next question.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
December 6th, 2010 at 1:00:09 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Sorry for the tardy confirmation on my question on the fourth most populous country. Indonesia is the right answer. Since Bob submitted two answers he gets only half a point, but that is enough to win. So Bob, you get the honor of asking the next question.

Nope, Sunrise089 got it right before me, he wins.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 6th, 2010 at 1:17:08 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Nope, Sunrise089 got it right before me, he wins.

You're right. He (?) spelled it incorrectly, but as the king of typos myself, I'll let that slide.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 6th, 2010 at 6:52:43 PM permalink
I think that the surprising thing about the Indonesia answer to the fourth most populous country is how difficult few people think of that country since it has historically had so little interaction with the United States. There is only minimal immigration from the country, it has never been involved in a war that we were part of, and is virtual blank in the minds of most Americans.

China has been the largest country, or empire for virtually all of human history. India has been the 2nd largest since it was formed in 1949. The USA has been the third largest since 1949.

Indonesia represents the upcoming third world when it displaced Japan and Russia by 1975. It is expected to hold the 4th place up until past the year 2050 . Sometime in the latter half of the 21st century it will be surpassed by Pakistan, Ethiopia, and Nigeria. Speculation a century into the future is almost meaningless so no body really knows.

Today the USA is larger than Indonesia by 68 million people. IN forty years USA will be larger than Indonesia by 126 million. Our policies of immigration will keep this country growing faster than the rest of the world. That is an official predication from the census bureau, and not my own opinion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 6th, 2010 at 8:01:54 PM permalink
I've asked that trivia question in person several times, and Indonesia is usually not mentioned until about the 7th guess, if ever. To be honest, when I was asked the question I think I mentioned Brazil, Mexico, and Russia before Indonesia even crossed my mind. When it did, I was quite sure that was the right answer. Yeah, Indonesia doesn't come up much, but the frequency is increasing. I would doubt most American could identify it on a map.

Another county you rarely hear about -- Papua New Guinea. What is going on over there? I can't think of a single time I've heard the name of the country mentioned anywhere.
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
December 6th, 2010 at 9:35:19 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The USA has been the third largest since 1949.

Not true. The US has been third largest only since the breakup of the Soviet Union.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 7th, 2010 at 1:36:38 AM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

Not true. The US has been third largest only since the breakup of the Soviet Union.

I forgot that qualification. The Soviet Union was more of an empire than a country. But you are correct that the SU was larger than USA. The USA has been bigger than Russia since 1940's.

• Jump to: