Thread Rating:

LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 49
September 27th, 2017 at 8:30:30 PM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

A notification for the last post was sent from server ec2-52-53-134-166.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com, which I have whitelisted, but the connection was immediately dropped due to missing DNS records for the sending domain. Any forum member who's mail service includes some type of spam filtering at the server will probably be affected the same way. That is, the communication is terminated on initial connection and mail is never received: you will not find it in your junk folder in this case.

I still do not receive email announcements of new PMs or new posts to subscribed threads, and haven't since 7-Sep. My mail service does filter spam. If WoV emails for these functions do not provide sufficient information to distinguish them from spam, then that could keep me from receiving those emails. However, everything worked properly before the DDOS attack(s) and network transition. Also, my system configuration has remained unchanged for close to forever.

BCS, is this problem fixed for you? Or, are you still not receiving these emails?

Any others out there who have this problem? Hard to believe I might be the only member with this problem. But, if this problem is unique to me, then I need to talk to my email service provider.

Comments, anyone?
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 17
Thanks for this post from:
LuckyPhow
September 28th, 2017 at 3:04:25 AM permalink
Not fixed, latest aborted connection to my service is dated 2017-09-26 21:17. The problem noted is still missing DNS records that should be supplied by the sending domain for the sending server. A "best practice" for mail servers is to assume sending servers are hijacked if certain DNS records are missing.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 43
September 28th, 2017 at 9:03:47 AM permalink
Just messaged zuga. There's a character storage/encoding issue. Pound symbol, and presumably other non-ascii characters getting messed up, at least in new blog posts. let's see if they fail here too.

pound £
dollar $
euro €
apostrophe ;
ampersand &
e with a wotsit on top é
If you are enjoying the game, you're already winning.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 43
September 28th, 2017 at 9:04:44 AM permalink
yup. non ascii getting presented wrongly. mysql database structure wrong?
If you are enjoying the game, you're already winning.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 28th, 2017 at 9:09:03 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Just messaged zuga. There's a character storage/encoding issue. Pound symbol, and presumably other non-ascii characters getting messed up, at least in new blog posts. let's see if they fail here too.

pound �£
dollar $
euro �
apostrophe ;
ampersand &
e with a wotsit on top �©

I'll try from Android:

Pound £
Dollar $
Euro �
Apostrophe '
Ampersand &
e with a wotsit (and others) on top �����èéêë�
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 48
September 28th, 2017 at 2:27:33 PM permalink
It's still really slow for me. I'm also getting no notifications to subscribed post. I have received notifications of pm's though. Will the speed ever improve or is it a by product of the new server?
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 17
September 28th, 2017 at 5:26:21 PM permalink
I think the site response time issue is resolved in general. I just set my VPN proxy to Singapore and while response is slower it is still good. Your particular case of slowness might be caused by the service you use or the equipment you have.

We are stuck with the failure to get subscription post notifications and character encoding problems until they are fixed.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
September 28th, 2017 at 6:16:34 PM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

I think the site response time issue is resolved in general.

Perhaps.

When I logged on this morning (8am ET, 5am NV), the system responded quickly. Noticeably more sluggish now.
Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 48
September 29th, 2017 at 9:11:10 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Perhaps.

When I logged on this morning (8am ET, 5am NV), the system responded quickly. Noticeably more sluggish now.

Same issue I am having. One time it's good the next time it's slow. I'm on a iPhone 7 with good internet speed. Everything else loads good just this forum. Again sometimes it's better than others but it hasn't loaded fast in weeks.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
October 1st, 2017 at 6:15:15 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

I still do not receive email announcements of new PMs or new posts to subscribed threads, and haven't since 7-Sep.

Whoa! Stop the presses!

At about 3:30 pm (LV time) today (1-Oct) I began receiving announcements of new posts to subscribed threads. I hope all the problems have been found and repaired. Thanx to the Admins -- and any others -- who engineered whatever fixes were required.

Hopefully, everyone else is now getting email alerts of PMs and thread updates.

• Jump to: