Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
April 2nd, 2014 at 3:44:31 PM permalink
When travelling through the airport tunnel, why does am radio come in either crystal clear (more clear than normal) or completely white noise?
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 2nd, 2014 at 3:50:50 PM permalink
Reflection.

AM waves bounce off rock and concrete. If they come in at the correct angle to the tunnel mouth, though, they enter the tunnel and bounce around inside it. Otherwsie they don't get in at all. I suppose the shape and size of the mouth has something to do with it, too.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mooseton
Mooseton
April 2nd, 2014 at 4:20:58 PM permalink
Thanks Nareed. That's a good start to the explanation I'm looking for. Riddle me this: Why does it change from day to day? The angle that the waves are being shot out changes day to day? I've noticed the weather does not seem to have an impact.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 2nd, 2014 at 4:42:47 PM permalink
Some tunnels are fitted so that you can receive AM Radio inside them. The Liberty Tunnels a/k/a Liberty Tubes in Pittsburgh once had this feature. Look for what looks like some pipes hanging from the ceiling and running the length of the tunnel.

Here is one article on the practice.

Another from 1941!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 2nd, 2014 at 5:14:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

When travelling through the airport tunnel, why does am radio come in either crystal clear (more clear than normal) or completely white noise?

Normally, you would expect AM to vanish long before FM in a tunnel. I don't know the age of the tunnel you are discussing, but for emergency purposes they may have installed "a leaky transmission line" which is just a single length of wire or flashing running near the ceiling. They would power this with a broad-band amplifier.

My guess is over the years the requirement for reliable AM transmission in the tunnel has lessened since it is not as important as it once was. The amplifier may not be 100% reliable or in operation all the time. Hence the changes from trip to trip.

I don't think reflection is the cause because AM radio signals are very long (between 200 and 600 meters) which is many times larger than the mouth of the tunnel. Do you notice a difference depending on the station being tuned in (i.e. top or bottome of the dial)?
Mooseton
Mooseton
April 2nd, 2014 at 5:54:56 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Do you notice a difference depending on the station being tuned in (i.e. top or bottome of the dial)?

I haven't noticed a difference. Next time I go through I'll try and remember to test the ends of the am stations. I usually stay on 720 or 840 so I wouldn't have noticed anyway. And to clear any confusion I'm asking about the tunnel under the airport tarmac in Las Vegas.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:38:17 PM permalink

I haven't noticed a difference. Next time I go through I'll try and remember to test the ends of the am stations. I usually stay on 720 or 840 so I wouldn't have noticed anyway. And to clear any confusion I'm asking about the tunnel under the airport tarmac in Las Vegas.

When reading this thread, I was imagining that very tunnel in my head!
Mooseton
Mooseton
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:45:29 PM permalink
Quote: RS

When reading this thread, I was imagining that very tunnel in my head!

Well, I would have had posted this at DT if I wasn't. :)
pokerface
pokerface
  • Threads: 12
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:48:36 PM permalink
AM wave transmission can be affected by weather condition
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
Mooseton
Mooseton
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:54:58 PM permalink
Oh I definitely believe that too. One reason I brought this question up is the fact that our weather here is pretty consistent from day to day. Never mind the weak storm in the area this week, of course.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:58:35 PM permalink

The tunnel as previously mentioned has an antenna (pipe) in it. Otherwise the signal vanishes. There are matters of propagation that do factor, but generally, don't count on AM RX in a tunnel. FM with a very short wavelengtth can enter a tunnel as generally the height and width are greater than the FM wavelength (about 3-4 meters). In long tunnels the FM can fade. Along this line of reasoning, the AM wavelength (170-550 meters) does not "resonate in the tunnel, it needs an antenna to carry the signal inside. HTH
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mooseton
Mooseton
April 2nd, 2014 at 8:06:39 PM permalink
But why the change from day to day? Same tunnel, same lane, same time usually, same weather usually. I'm honestly not trolling intentionally; just being curious.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
April 2nd, 2014 at 8:36:11 PM permalink
Must be a propagation issue. And its possible if the tunnel is long, say 1200 feet (300 meters) that in some spot(s) a weak resonance does occur. The electrical wiring for the lights in the tunnel can act as an antenna. A bad ground might cause occasional reception at various places. Lotta intangibles here and generally not-well-understood things happen. I like to think of it as 20 variables that occasionally add up to reception.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
April 2nd, 2014 at 10:58:01 PM permalink

But why the change from day to day? Same tunnel, same lane, same time usually, same weather usually. I'm honestly not trolling intentionally; just being curious.

When you're in a weak reception area, little things can make a difference between usable signal and no signal. Are there cars/trucks next to you or are you mostly unsurrounded, are the overhead lights in the tunnel on or off, what's going on above your head as you travel through the tunnel (and you can't usually know this), etc. The last time I was in Vegas, my cell phone got sporadic reception from my room (facing away from the strip, up about 20 floors) and where I stood in the room actually changed the number of bars. Also, I just upgraded my home WiFi and the orientation of the router determines whether I get signal out on my patio. Radio waves can be finicky.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 2nd, 2014 at 11:02:03 PM permalink
If my memory serves,. doesn't the airport connector tunnel also have tiles inside? Would that not help with the reflection of the radio waves?

I don't have any experience here just what I would imagine would happen?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
  • Jump to: