31 votes (58.49%)
2 votes (3.77%)

53 members have voted

teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 30th, 2013 at 5:54:23 AM permalink
How is opium different from heroin?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 30th, 2013 at 6:29:18 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

How is opium different from heroin?

The short answer is sort of like the difference between Labatt Blue and Everclear.

The long answer is, well, longer. Opium is made from the opium poppy, and contains a lot of goodies like morphine and codeine. One needs only opium poppies and little else to produce opium. You basically just score the bud, let it leak its juice, and collect it. Boom. Opium. Street peddlars have means to purify and reduce it which reduces it in size and smell for trafficking purposes, but that's all there is to it.

Heroin is manufactured. All the stuff that's not morphine in opium is parted off chemically, leaving only the stuff that makes you feel really good. Like I said, same as beer vs pure grain alcohol.

Unlike zippy, I was never a fan. I always thought it ruined weed when mixed, and I only smoked it pure when it was all I could find. I've been on white collar opioids for going on 10 years now, and I get no feeling whatsoever from them. No buzz, no happy. When my tolerance builds up to the point it no longer addresses my pain issues, I go on a "clean week" where I won't take any for 7-28 days and I get no withdrawl symptoms whatsoever.

On the occassions I took designer drugs with a high heroin base, I found it very unpleasurable. Complete zombie mode, took all of your effort and all of your will to just sit up and keep your eyes open. It shuts your whole body down, and your brain goes very quiet. Not my cup of tea. I'd even say I hated it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 30th, 2013 at 7:20:10 AM permalink
The body does not process heroin, it turns it into morphine and processes it.

Many users of heroin become addicts and "kicking" the habit comes from the severe muscular jerks that are involved which can even break bones.

However, heroin is not necessarily going to induce a euphoric non-functioning state. Some Southern California noted professors have used heroin for decades and never been "strung out" on it. I've described Anita O'Day's reaction "Better than a martini, better than sex,..lets do another hit" when Charlie Parker gave her her very first heroin. Others can go out and get their gardening done with no problems operating power mowers.
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
December 30th, 2013 at 9:29:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I've never seen this live. A question is "are they Asians?" Wearing masks seems to be an Asian thing more than Western, and yes, it is more that they do not want to spread germs vs not get sick.

No, it's not common, and yes, they're usually Asian, but not always.

My doctor actually mentioned it as a possible suggestion, but he was kind of just thinking out loud. He has a thick accent and I usually can't understand what he says. Mostly I just nod a lot, but if he looks unhappy I switch to shaking my head.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
December 30th, 2013 at 12:30:55 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The body does not process heroin, it turns it into morphine and processes it.

They say the scene in Pulp Fiction where Travolta
shoots up and is driving the car, is almost solely
responsible for renewed in interest in heroin in
the mid 90's.

Most people don't know that heroin is a trade
name thought up by the Bayer Aspirin company
in the 1880's. They sold heroin as a cold remedy
until 1910, over the counter. They also said it
was a cure for morphine addiction, not knowing
that heroin is converted to morphine by the body.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
December 30th, 2013 at 3:31:17 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They say the scene in Pulp Fiction where Travolta
shoots up and is driving the car, is almost solely
responsible for renewed in interest in heroin in
the mid 90's.

I can believe that based on how Americans behave. I also know that I have had discussions with friends about people potentially using and all of what we knew came from that movie or wikipedia. Yes, I am a square and hang with squares. The only thing I have picked up that is remotely "street useful" is that heroin in the east and west USA are different with the white powder in the east coming via older European Mafia connections and "Black Tar" heroin in the west coming from Asia or Mexico.

I find the history of heroin in the USA interesting. Pre-1960s it was a drug for the elite. By the late 1960s it was a drug for poor blacks and coke took over the suburban white trade. Then by the late 1990s it kind of flipped again partly because of the movie. From what I hear "H" is taking over the higher class suburbs lately with poorer whites using meth.

Either way the problem is getting worse and worse.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
December 30th, 2013 at 3:38:25 PM permalink

Either way the problem is getting worse and worse.

It was far worse in the late 1800's, when many of
the immigrants from Europe were hooked on drugs
when they got here. You could get anything you
wanted over the counter until 1913, when they
finally outlawed it. Narcotic based drugs make poorer,
less educated people happier with their lot in life.
And give bored rich people something to do. Most
of us in the middle demographic think it's ridiculous.

I just read that movies have a far greater impact on
changing society than advertising or even TV shows.
Pulp Fiction did a lot of damage.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 30th, 2013 at 3:55:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Narcotic based drugs make poorer,
less educated people happier with their lot in life.
And give bored rich people something to do. Most
of us in the middle demographic think it's ridiculous.

Nailed it again. The poor use it as an escape. The rich...use it as an escape. The working class is too busy trying not to be poor to have time for it XD

The only thing I have picked up that is remotely "street useful" is that heroin in the east and west USA are different with the white powder in the east coming via older European Mafia connections and "Black Tar" heroin in the west coming from Asia or Mexico.

It's a measure of quality. Pharmaceutical grade stuff is white, that's your "pure" stuff. It's the salt (and I know I'm gonna mess this up) diacetylmorphine hydrochloride (or close to that, whatever). The darker stuff like your black tar is kinda of a sloppy, quick way towards the same end, and has more morphine in it.

In sticking with my same analogy, it's like Everclear vs White Lightning made in Granddad's back 40 ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 30th, 2013 at 4:24:56 PM permalink
Heroin use, particularly by females, was on the upswing long before Travolta's movie.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
December 30th, 2013 at 4:28:04 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Heroin use, particularly by females, was on the upswing long before Travolta's movie.

I will say that every junkie I heard of was female now that I think about it. Possibly because alcohol is fattening?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: