Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 24th, 2011 at 6:13:55 AM permalink
Does anybody ever use the 12 function keys at the top of the keyboard? What are they there for and how does one make use of them?

I'd love to program them to make the ñ letter in Spanish, as well as the vowels with accent marks, but have no idea how. I've seen software that I think does that, but is there a way to make use of them with just Windows Vista?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 24th, 2011 at 6:35:00 AM permalink
I make limited use of them in Windows and Excel.

Alt + F4 closes the window you're in, which can be handy
Alt + F2 opens a "save as" box
Alt + F1 inserts a chart object in Excel
F2 edits a cell in Excel
F1 opens Excel help
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
May 24th, 2011 at 6:51:56 AM permalink
Every program uses function keys differently. The F1 is almost universally known as help, but from there, they will be specific to the program you are currently using, including no program at all (just using Windows).

In fact, combinations of shift, ctrl, alt and the function keys may have a task in programs. Careful, the combo of alt-f4 is always Close Program, so you wouldn't necessarily want to mess with it.

You will have to find a program that can re-define the function keys. I don't have any that I have used, so I can't recommend any.

If you are looking for a quick way to enter accented characters, you could learn their alt-codes. For example, to type the ñ character, hold down either alt key, then on your numeric keypad, type 1 6 4, then release the alt key. Don't release the alt key between numbers. If you are on a laptop and don't have a numeric keypad... it's possible, but tedious.

Here is an image of the extended ascii characters, which lists all of the non-keyboard characters, plus their alt codes. Not sure why, but the ¢ is missing from that table (155).
-Dween!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 24th, 2011 at 7:01:34 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I make limited use of them in Windows and Excel.

Alt + F4 closes the window you're in, which can be handy

I use the alt-F4 as much as I click on the "x" to close down windows. Sometimes it makes more sense to keep my hands on the keyboard than to reach for the mouse.

Another key I use a lot is F5 in a web browser to reload/refresh a page.

Other keaybaord shortcut is to press Alt in an open window, it highligts the menu. In some programs it even brings up the menu even when you can't see it on screen or access it with the mouse.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
May 24th, 2011 at 8:54:30 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

If you are looking for a quick way to enter accented characters, you could learn their alt-codes. For example, to type the ñ character, hold down either alt key, then on your numeric keypad, type 1 6 4, then release the alt key. Don't release the alt key between numbers. If you are on a laptop and don't have a numeric keypad... it's possible, but tedious.

Wah. I learned a bunch of alt-codes but have been exclusively laptop for a few years now and was wondering if there was a quick method. I don't like tedious.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
May 24th, 2011 at 8:59:36 AM permalink
Well, I have the numpad items superimposed over other keys, where you can either turn on Num Lock, or hold down the fn key to type them. However, holding down alt and fn while pressing them causes undesirable results (such as going back one page in the browser). So, I have to turn on Num Lock to make it happen.
-Dween!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 24th, 2011 at 9:01:01 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Wah. I learned a bunch of alt-codes but have been exclusively laptop for a few years now and was wondering if there was a quick method. I don't like tedious.

It is tedious, but I keep a list of the Spanish ones by my monitor.

á = alt 160
é = alt 130
í = alt 161
ñ = alt 164
ó = alt 162
¿ = alt 168
¡ = alt 173

It is pretty easy to reconfigure the keyboard to the standard Spanish one, but it changes most of the punctuation and math symbols.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
May 24th, 2011 at 9:06:49 AM permalink
I don't even have a numlock key. The codes do nothing.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
May 24th, 2011 at 9:07:17 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It is pretty easy to reconfigure the keyboard to the standard Spanish one, but it changes most of the punctuation and math symbols.

I am a Mac user, so I have stayed out of the discussion of function keys -- the story probably doesn't translate very well between PC and Mac.

As for reconfiguring a keyboard, I was wondering this: In these days of bluetooth keyboards, it is possible to have two keyboards active on one machine (PC or Mac) and have one configured for one language and one for another? Would it be easier to swap keyboards or to reconfigure one each time you changed languages in which you were working?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 24th, 2011 at 9:52:32 AM permalink
Another almost-as-tedious option is to copy and paste a list of special characters near whatever you're typing, and then just re-copy the ones you need into your words as you go. I do that with the registered trademark symbol quite a bit.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
May 24th, 2011 at 10:16:16 AM permalink
I could make that program for you, if you tell me what keys and letter you want. Should take less than 5 minutes.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
May 24th, 2011 at 11:22:45 AM permalink
OK I have done it, if you PM me an email address I can send it over.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
May 24th, 2011 at 11:57:20 AM permalink
F5 is "refresh" in Internet Explorer, which I use often. Especially helpful for websites that open new windows without menus.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 24th, 2011 at 12:14:00 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Another almost-as-tedious option is to copy and paste a list of special characters near whatever you're typing, and then just re-copy the ones you need into your words as you go. I do that with the registered trademark symbol quite a bit.

I use F keys a bunch while at work, as one program requires them to access different menu's. In real life, I never touch them.

For special characters I adopt ME's example. The Seneca language employs a number of these, with accents over many different characters. Leaving them out makes a much bigger difference than, say, leaving out the squiggle over a spanish enyay. And with a simple word like 'red' being spelled tkwëhtä:'ë:', remembering and then typing the atl codes is just too much.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 24th, 2011 at 1:19:33 PM permalink

I've done that.

One time I was writing a story that required many repetitions of several words. I made up three letter abreveations for each, about six all told, and then did a global search and replace. The trick is to avoid common letter combinations.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
May 24th, 2011 at 1:37:51 PM permalink
for anyone interested,
Download here
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 24th, 2011 at 2:55:08 PM permalink
Also, Windows computers have a system utility called the Character Map that you can have running next to whatever you're typing. In Windows 7,
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. It's in a similar location for XP.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
May 24th, 2011 at 2:57:36 PM permalink

Also, Windows computers have a system utility called the Character Map that you can have running next to whatever you're typing. In Windows 7,
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. It's in a similar location for XP.

but my little app is much better ;-)
it can store complete strings too such as "Kind Regards, Some Chap Called Bob" and not just single characters.
I would love some feedback
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 24th, 2011 at 3:25:43 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Does anybody ever use the 12 function keys at the top of the keyboard? What are they there for and how does one make use of them?

Lots of people have answered correctly that they are for different commands in different programs. However, no one mentioned the "why." They decend from terminals and DOS-based computers when a "mouse" was a rodent and GUI was, well make up your own acronym. If you learned to use WordPerfect 5.0 or earlier you probably had a "template" above the functuion keys for the commands they would deploy.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
May 24th, 2011 at 5:44:57 PM permalink
In Excel, F12 is the 'Save As' shortcut key, and F9 is the 'Recalculate' shortcut key.

I use the Function keys frequently in gaming, while playing Diablo or Titan's Quest. They come in handy for those games.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 24th, 2011 at 7:28:37 PM permalink
I don't know what most of the keys on the keyboard do, and I've had a computer for 20 years. I know a business guy who's been using one for 15 years and didn't know he could copy and paste. I'm serious.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
kmcd
kmcd
  • Threads: 9
September 5th, 2011 at 11:07:13 AM permalink
Varies by application obviously, but here's what I use some of them for:

F1: Generally Help in any application
F2: Step into a cell in Excel (e.g. arrow keys move the cursor between characters rather than cells, etc)
F3:
F4: Redo (like ctrl+y) or put the permanent reference $'s around a cell reference
F5: Refresh in a web browser, or windows explorer window
F6:
F7: Spell check
F8:
F9: Calculate a manually calculated spreadsheet
F10:
F11: Full screen in a web browser
F12: Save (identical to ctrl+s)
  • Jump to: