familybingo
familybingo
  • Threads: 1
September 9th, 2021 at 11:15:07 AM permalink
Hi, I'm trying to set up a game of bingo for 21 players that will result in just one winner. Sounds simple right? Well, I want the play time to be 40 minutes to one hour. I'd also like to have some excitement in it (this is for a friendly family competition - competing for a very tiny but very coveted cup so I want the chance to generate some friendly competitive banter haha). I only know the very basics of Bingo but I'm pretty sure someone would get a single row in much less than 40 minutes. So I started thinking maybe the first person to win 3 rounds, but I have no idea how long that would take. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should set this up?? Please help, I'm open to all ideas.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
September 9th, 2021 at 11:36:50 AM permalink
Quote: familybingo

Hi, I'm trying to set up a game of bingo for 21 players that will result in just one winner. Sounds simple right? Well, I want the play time to be 40 minutes to one hour. I'd also like to have some excitement in it (this is for a friendly family competition - competing for a very tiny but very coveted cup so I want the chance to generate some friendly competitive banter haha). I only know the very basics of Bingo but I'm pretty sure someone would get a single row in much less than 40 minutes. So I started thinking maybe the first person to win 3 rounds, but I have no idea how long that would take. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should set this up?? Please help, I'm open to all ideas.

• link to original post

1.) Balls are drawn one every 50 seconds. Until #5

2.) Each player gets five cards.

3.) The game is coverall.

4.) When any player is only one away from a Bingo, they must verbally declare, "One Away!" This is true even if someone else has declared it or THAT player has declared it on a different card already.

5.) After, "One Away," is declared, balls are drawn one every 60 seconds.

6.) If multiple players get a confirmed Bingo, then the game will come down to their remaining four cards. Balls will be drawn every five seconds until one player or the other has a second Bingo, then a third if both got two, etc...There will be no more, "One Away," rule for this part.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    familybingo
    familybingo
    Thanks for this post from:
    Mission146
    September 9th, 2021 at 1:27:58 PM permalink
    Thanks Mission 146, you think that will be about 40-60 minutes to get a winner? I'm really glad I asked because I would have guessed it would take much longer for a coverall. Having said that, we might end up faster, my family will be impatient for the next number so I'm not sure I'll be able to wait 50 or 60 seconds before calling another lol.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    September 9th, 2021 at 1:33:42 PM permalink
    A good game of bingo needs a good MC. If people are impatient, it's because the MC isn't entertaining the crowd.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    September 9th, 2021 at 1:36:02 PM permalink

Thanks Mission 146, you think that will be about 40-60 minutes to get a winner? I'm really glad I asked because I would have guessed it would take much longer for a coverall. Having said that, we might end up faster, my family will be impatient for the next number so I'm not sure I'll be able to wait 50 or 60 seconds before calling another lol.

• link to original post

You could ask trivia questions between the calls for small prizes.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    familybingo
    familybingo
    September 9th, 2021 at 1:38:26 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

A good game of bingo needs a good MC. If people are impatient, it's because the MC isn't entertaining the crowd.

• link to original post

Haha, well entertainment isn't my strong suit, so family impatience it is lol.
    familybingo
    familybingo
    Mission146
    September 9th, 2021 at 1:39:39 PM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

• link to original post

You could ask trivia questions between the calls for small prizes.
  • link to original post

Oh I could do that, thanks.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    familybingo
    September 9th, 2021 at 1:47:51 PM permalink

• link to original post

I think that would be about the expectation. If everyone had identical cards, or one identical number that would cause all cards to simultaneously win AND it was the last called number (this will not happen) then 75 numbers would be drawn. At 50 seconds each number, this would take 3,750 seconds, which is 62.5 minutes, so we know we're almost certainly not going the full hour.

There are 2400 seconds in forty minutes, so if we divide that by 50 seconds (for each ball drawn), then that would reflect a winner in exactly 48 draws. The probability of a Bingo in that many cards, or fewer, based on 100 cards out (and you're only going to have 105):

https://wizardofodds.com/games/bingo/probabilities/2/

Would be well under 1%.

Therefore, it is highly probable that the game will take between 40 minutes and one hour to conclude.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 50
    familybingo
    September 9th, 2021 at 2:44:48 PM permalink
    As I remember Bingo, there were at least 4 numbers called per minute. And coverall games maybe lasted about 10 minutes.

You can also make patterns on the bingo card that take less time than a coverall but more than just a row. Like "three horizontal rows" etc.
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    familybingo
    September 9th, 2021 at 2:56:06 PM permalink
    If the caller is having fun and entertaining, fifty seconds goes by in a flash. If a drone is just calling out numbers, 50 seconds can be an eternity.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.

• Jump to: