Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 181
March 5th, 2012 at 7:09:19 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

I imagine the pressure to use these artificial means of birth control on the part of society and the men they know and love is fairly strong.

"Imagine" is the right word in our case. I never said a word about it. It was her idea to try the pill, and her decision to follow through and take it. I found out when she indicated I didn't need a condom. She hates condoms. When parts start rubbing, they'd better keep rubbing, without interruption. Her need, I just went along (seeing as how I agree).

You know nothing firsthand about real sex with other people. That's not vitriol, and it's not condescension. It is fact. You know what you've been told, and you repeat it as if it were fact, not understanding that words that have been passed from virgin men to virgin men for hundreds of years might not have any meaning to those of us out here in the real world, no meaning beyond their own lilt. They sound pretty, but do not withstand scrutiny.

Yes, we "need to change our minds and hearts about our sexual morality"; we need to accept that contraception has helped remove the need to prevent pregnancy through the social pressure known as "slut shaming".

"No one is immune to the problems caused when we allow our sexual desires to control us rather than us controlling them"; right. Let's allow women to take control of their sexuality, without fear.
NO KILL I
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 5th, 2012 at 8:04:54 PM permalink
+1 Mosca

While I appreciate the timing of your post, FrGamble, in that contraception is in the news these days, really, it is a non-issue today. I guess I am offended that a catholic priest, whose church is *still* very much under fire for its abuse allegations, speaks out so vehemently against contraception.

Its own membership does not practice what it preaches. Catholic women and men ignore the church and practices contraception, widely.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 5th, 2012 at 8:22:33 PM permalink
Watching Jon Stewart now:

Quote: Jon Stewart

...Two things. One, this isn't about paying for women to have or not have sex. It's about an insurance mandate from the government covering contraceptive medication as part of women's overall health care, and two - it's not your tax money that pays for it! I'm not going to get into your roundabout argument about how somehow money is taken out of your pocket to pay for Georgetown's private insurance plan whose contraception coverage would ultimately bring insurance rates down. I'm not even going to get into that. And I'm not going to get into the catholic church because you don't even pay taxes at all, so <motions to shut your mouth>.

I'm just saying to the people who are upset about their hard earned tax money going to things they don't like. Welcome to the fucking club. Everyone pays for shit they don't want to all the time. You know what, reimburse me for the Iraq war and oil subsidies and guess what, diaphragms are on me.

----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 5th, 2012 at 8:31:17 PM permalink

I admit it seems everyone is using contraception and I am a little taken a back at the vitriol and condescending tone

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Look, I think my position on sex isn't far from yours, albeit for different reasons. I find promiscuity highly objectionable, because I regard sex as a good thing. In any case, people will act the way they chose. If so, best they don't get pregnant or sick in addition to being depraved. And in the context of marriage, contraception permits sex at more times. What's wrong with that?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 6th, 2012 at 3:45:26 AM permalink
Talking about sex with a priest...
Like trying to describe color to a blind man.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 6th, 2012 at 3:59:03 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Talking about sex with a priest...
Like trying to describe color to a blind man.

More like trying to describe color to a person who intentionally wears blinders.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
March 6th, 2012 at 7:17:45 AM permalink

I also think it's crazy to say that because one does not have sex they can't speak about the topic. Can there be a male gynecologist?

Excellent analogy. Like I've always said, "Only babies should be allowed to perform surgery on babies."
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 6th, 2012 at 7:58:04 AM permalink
Quote: reno

Excellent analogy. Like I've always said, "Only babies should be allowed to perform surgery on babies."

Because babies have a lot of experience in surgery?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 6th, 2012 at 8:01:47 AM permalink
You think that's an excellent analogy?
I don't.
A gynecologist is a physician specializing in female anatomy.
It requires no sexual experience whatsoever.
In fact a virgin could just as easily perform in that profession.

Very weak argument.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 6th, 2012 at 8:09:47 AM permalink
Quote: reno

Quote: WongBo

You think that's an excellent analogy?
I don't.
A gynecologist is a physician specializing in female anatomy.
It requires no sexual experience whatsoever.
In fact a virgin could just as easily perform in that profession.

Very weak argument.

Thus demonstrating that outrage dulls the perception of sarcasm.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563

• Jump to: