Thread Rating:

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
Joined: Mar 8, 2011
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 5328
February 9th, 2012 at 4:21:00 PM permalink
" where the highest honor a cleric can receive is bestowed. "

I will overlook that small error and I am sure the Pope will as well.

Seriously, this Hampden boy and 11 grade Mount Saint Joseph High School dropout says CONGRATULATIONS.
FrGamble
FrGamble
Joined: Jun 5, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 790
February 9th, 2012 at 4:43:01 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

But out of curiosity, and ignorance due to my Jewish upbringing, is the "highest honor" you mention, that of your invitation to go, or that of the elevation from Archbishop to Cardinal? Or something else?

Is Cardinal the top of the food chain?



The highest honor is when you are named to the College of Cardinals, but an invitation to go isnít so shabby either. Yep, being a Cardinal is about as high as you can go. However, just to confuse everyone you can also be named a Cardinal-deacon or a Cardinal-priest.

Quote: AZDuffman

What is the capacity of a Cardinal anyways? Are they more scholars than admimistrators? Or is it a legit promotion above Bishop. I ask because way back in Catholic School I said or asked something about Cardinals and the priest really blew it off and said, "A Cardinal is nothing but a Bishop with a fancy title."

I've never heard of one outside Rome and the only thing I see is that they are a sort-of Board of Directors under the Pope. Can you clear it up?

While I am at it, is there a standard for "Archbishop" and "Archdiocese?" All I ever heard was it meant the Diocese was big, though Pittsburgh would have had to qualified at some point if that alone was the standard.



They are a mixture of administrative types of people and very scholarly types. The capacity of a Cardinal is to be special advisors to the Pope, often take on international responsibilities connected to one of the offices or ministries of the Vatican, they receive a titular Church somewhere in Rome, and they of course get to elect the Pope. So it is definitely a legit promotion. However, they remain bishops, just like the Pope remains the bishop of Rome, so there is some truth in the statement that they are Bishops with a fancy title and a lot more responsibility to the worldwide Catholic Church.

An Archdiocese doesnít necessarily have to be big, geographically or population wise. It is a distinction that there are other dioceses under an Archdiocese which has very limited oversight.

Quote: buzzpaff

" where the highest honor a cleric can receive is bestowed. "

I will overlook that small error and I am sure the Pope will as well.



Opps, I hope he overlooks it too Ė good catch!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12682
February 9th, 2012 at 5:37:26 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

They are a mixture of administrative types of people and very scholarly types. The capacity of a Cardinal is to be special advisors to the Pope, often take on international responsibilities connected to one of the offices or ministries of the Vatican, they receive a titular Church somewhere in Rome, and they of course get to elect the Pope. So it is definitely a legit promotion. However, they remain bishops, just like the Pope remains the bishop of Rome, so there is some truth in the statement that they are Bishops with a fancy title and a lot more responsibility to the worldwide Catholic Church.

An Archdiocese doesnít necessarily have to be big, geographically or population wise. It is a distinction that there are other dioceses under an Archdiocese which has very limited oversight.



Thanks for that, you mostly confirmed what I thought. Godfather III jokes aside, interesting how even the Church needs good administators at the top. FWIW, I don't think that is what this priest meant about "fancy title bishop" but he thought hanging around the College of Cardinals might not be the most productive thing they could do. Or secularly, "Don't associate me with them, I work for a living.........."

Archdiocese I didn't know that deal. I thought I heard Pittsburgh was now an Archdiocese, would make sense with all the smaller cities around it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
February 9th, 2012 at 6:03:20 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

I happen to know very well the two American Archbishops that are being elevated to Cardinal; Edwin O'Brien and Timothy Dolan. I am so happy for them and the Church universal!

May they be touched by His noodly appendage
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
February 11th, 2012 at 4:46:55 PM permalink
Is there a casino in the Vatican, for the clergy only? Is
the house edge the same as in a regular casino?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1404
  • Posts: 23739
February 11th, 2012 at 8:03:06 PM permalink
Padre, I don't know if you know, but I'm an avid license plate collector. One of the toughest international plates to get, probably THE toughest, is the Vatican.

Any chance you can pull some strings?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
Joined: Mar 8, 2011
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 5328
February 11th, 2012 at 8:24:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Padre, I don't know if you know, but I'm an avid license plate collector. One of the toughest international plates to get, probably THE toughest, is the Vatican.

Any chance you can pull some strings?



If you get the WIz plate "SCV 1" I will go to confession.
FrGamble
FrGamble
Joined: Jun 5, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 790
February 11th, 2012 at 8:54:09 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Padre, I don't know if you know, but I'm an avid license plate collector. One of the toughest international plates to get, probably THE toughest, is the Vatican.

Any chance you can pull some strings?



My old seminary is on extraterriatorial Vatican property, I will see if I can find you one.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
February 11th, 2012 at 8:55:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Any chance you can pull some strings?



Just take a screwdriver in your luggage, and, well, you know...
Its for a good cause.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
Joined: Sep 30, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 417
February 11th, 2012 at 11:27:35 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I'm sure this is a great honor for you. Congrats.

Is Cardinal the top of the food chain?



the Bishop of Rome , or Pope, is considered the Vicar Christi, or "Monarch (ruling on behalf) of Christ". In the absence of an elected Pope, the camerlengo, ("chamberlain"), the official administrator of all material wealth and property belonging to the Vatican, acts sede vacante as Pope.

Quote: DJTeddyBear

Perhaps my ignorance comes from the lack of clear understanding of the term "cleric."



Any confirmed priest or higher-rank clergyman

  • Jump to: