Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
January 14th, 2012 at 8:59:54 PM permalink
As I recall, just more threats from one of
the apostles if you fail to follow orders.
What else is new.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 14th, 2012 at 9:00:01 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Goodness gracious, how many times do I have to quote Matthew 25:31-46? It is a good passage worthy of another read by you.

That works both ways FrGamble. How many times do we have to quote Deuteronomy 28:15-64 where the God of Love will "send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him". It is a good passage worthy of another read by you.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
January 15th, 2012 at 3:59:40 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

That works both ways FrGamble. How many times do we have to quote Deuteronomy 28:15-64 where the God of Love will "send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him". It is a good passage worthy of another read by you.

You don't understand, s2... What it means is that God loves you... Why can't you see that?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
January 15th, 2012 at 5:30:23 AM permalink
This comes more from "Paradise Lost" than anywhere else, but the basic Satanic 'beef' is resentment over having to follow orders from God. It does sort of resonate anew when we are told to "praise God all the time", no? So I'm not saying I don't understand the feeling, but when you get to "better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven" I think you have to start wondering just who you have been listening to and just who knows what to say to make it resonate for you.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
January 15th, 2012 at 5:48:24 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

This is covered in the celebrate religion thread, since I don't know how to do any other way here is a post from that thread:

Quote: MathExtremist

How does Catholicism view Deuteronomy 28:15-68? Does it only apply to the Israelites? Is it, as you quoted from Dei Verbum, "incomplete and temporary"? Is it null and void?

Yes it is temporary. All you have to do is read Dueteronomy 30:1-20 to see that. The mercy of God will always be there to help and forgive even the gravest transgressions. Moses also shows them that the choice is theirs; God sets before them life and prosperity or death and doom - you decide (Dt. 30:15). Moses also reminds them that the laws of the Lord are already written in their hearts; you have only to carry it out (Dt. 30:14).

It is also incomplete and temporary in that Jesus establishes the new and eternal covenant through His passion, death, and resurrection and frees us from the punishment due to our sin and disobedience of the Law. This freedom from being under the impossible burden of the law and its just consequences is exactly why Jesus came to save ALL of humanity. This freedom from the law is also the central message of the former pharisee St. Paul.

NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
January 15th, 2012 at 7:03:47 AM permalink

God created you to live forever in the joys of Heaven. The love and praise thing should kind of come natural in the face of that radical idea. It would be sick and demented or at least very rude not to give thanks to a guy who gave you such an awesome gift.

Again, it would only be "rude" to someone who needed thanks for what he did naturally. Presumably, God has no need to give, it's just His nature to do so, possibly as a result of overabundant creative power. He might be thought of as "rudely altruistic" Himself, not really asking me whether I'd like for Him to introduce the germ of something new in my life - He just can't help Himself! And Heaven was made for people like that - who have the same impulse to create, rearrange (Hebrew bara') things, even forcibly, for the sake of Experience, Knowledge, and Wisdom with enthusiasm for the broadest and most surprising possibilities for what can exist. The Universe is auspicious, and very inexplicable shit happens all the time (this is a gambling discussion forum). The test of our preparedness for Heaven: How well do we enjoy being surprised, even shocked at what's possible? How optimistically do we embrace the Unknown and the Unknowable?
victorimmature
victorimmature
  • Threads: 0
January 15th, 2012 at 3:07:28 PM permalink
I always wonder who let you into heaven before St. Peter became available.
Given that approx. 100 billion humans have lived on the planet so far, it must be a pretty onerous job.
萬歲言論自由。
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 15th, 2012 at 4:02:14 PM permalink
Quote: victorimmature

I always wonder who let you into heaven before St. Peter became available.

It was Santa, of course. Saint Nick. He got bored
and got the job he has now. Fits right in with the fairy
tale..
victorimmature
victorimmature
  • Threads: 0
January 15th, 2012 at 4:32:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It was Santa, of course. Saint Nick. He got bored
and got the job he has now. Fits right in with the fairy
tale..

I'd have rather taken my chances with Santa.
His generosity is legendary.
萬歲言論自由。
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 15th, 2012 at 4:38:05 PM permalink
Wait till St Peter is replaced by St Patrick. Drinking
will finally be rewarded.

• Jump to: