Thread Rating:

MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 4th, 2012 at 4:26:18 PM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

Is fear a sign of faith?

Isn't fear always a sign of faith? If you don't believe the mugger will touch you, you'll just keep walking down the dark alley.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
January 4th, 2012 at 5:29:20 PM permalink
See, I watch religious tv...
The World Harvest Television station announces:

"The Jewish Jesus... There's Hope for the Hung!"

(Yes, I actually took this picture off of my tv screen.)
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 4th, 2012 at 5:37:16 PM permalink
My question to you is what are you doing up at 7:54 on a Sunday morning?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
January 4th, 2012 at 5:55:25 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

My question to you is what are you doing up at 7:54 on a Sunday morning?

I wanted to watch Hope For The Hung, of course!
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
January 4th, 2012 at 8:42:02 PM permalink
Check out this video God in 60 days
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 325
January 4th, 2012 at 9:43:35 PM permalink
And that's not all ...

nunchuck
"What, me worry?"
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
January 8th, 2012 at 7:48:44 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

That didn't stop you from responding now, did it?

I started it as a "There is no God" thought piece, as it is what I believe ... or should I say, it is what I do NOT believe.

"Red herring?"

What item of significance might I be attempting to divert attention from?

No, like it or not, whether we believe in god or not IS a fundamental question: better we focus our efforts in making this world a better place, instead of blowing it off in hopes of a mulligan in "the hereafter."

How is making the world a better place related to the question of belief in God?
MrV
MrV
January 8th, 2012 at 10:25:16 AM permalink
I believe that it is a better and more productive use of my time to devote a portion of my efforts to doing "good works," i.e. engaging activities which by design benefit others directly, and not myself.

I do this near-daily, in different ways.

My choice.

This lets me satisfy my altruistic desires, yet leaves me sufficient time to devote to myself and my and my family's needs.

Contrast this with the time I'd waste in church, on my knees praying, mouthing platitudes, eating a wafer and all in service of ... what, exactly?

Certainly not peace of mind.

The time I used to waste in church is now spent helping people directly.

Again, my choice ... my conscious choice.

Would I have helped people the way I do now, had I not quit going to Catholic church after an epiphany as a teen?

Not likely: I'd probably have the notion that going to church was enough: it isn't.
"What, me worry?"
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
January 8th, 2012 at 10:43:29 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I believe that it is a better and more productive use of my time to devote a portion of my efforts to doing "good works," i.e. engaging activities which by design benefit others directly, and not myself.

I do this near-daily, in different ways.

My choice.

This lets me satisfy my altruistic desires, yet leaves me sufficient time to devote to myself and my and my family's needs.

Contrast this with the time I'd waste in church, on my knees praying, mouthing platitudes, eating a wafer and all in service of ... what, exactly?

Certainly not peace of mind.

The time I used to waste in church is now spent helping people directly.

Again, my choice ... my conscious choice.

Would I have helped people the way I do now, had I not quit going to Catholic church after an epiphany as a teen?

Not likely: I'd probably have the notion that going to church was enough: it isn't.

I'm glad you believe you should do "good works" and you should follow these mysterious altruistic desires. While Christianity has this practice written into its DNA it is good to see that you are doing good, as you repeated too many times, by your own conscious choice (I guess you are trying to say that I am not choosing to do good consciously because my faith says I should??). Anyway, I think you could do even more good if you went back to Church and joined a community dedicated to serving and caring for those in need, spiritually and materially. Your faith and worship should directly inspire you to go out and help make the world a better place. No Church worth its salt would ever say just going to Church is enough. Faith needs to be practiced and lived. You should have gone to a different Church and not given up altogether.

This is why the Catholic Mass ends with the words, "Ite, Missa est." The meaning being, "Go, you are sent on mission!" You come get refreshed, recharged, encouraged, nourished, and equipped to do good and spread faith, hope, and love to all you meet. Keep up the good work and when you need some help, inspiration, or encouragement come back to Church.
MrV
MrV
January 8th, 2012 at 10:54:41 AM permalink
Funny thing ... I cannot recall even ONE example of the church actually helping people when I was a youth: at least not "helping" in a real world manner.

No, the focus was always on trying to control ME, to influence MY behavior, inducing me to respond in a "church-approved manner:" this was done primarily by implanting notions and feelings of GUILT.

In the end, the Catholic Church attempted to use FEAR to try to control me: fear of going to hell, fear of offending god.

I chose to pass: I opted for No Fear.

These days, I help people using the particular skill set I have, and individualize my focus.

I'm not working a soup kitchen (although I thought of doing that): rather, I help people one on one, using my particular talents to fix their lives / problems, for free.

Works for me.
"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: