Thread Rating:

Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
November 24th, 2011 at 10:35:41 AM permalink
Father, I recognize you are a good man. Internet discussions/arguments are like mental fractals; we start falling down into these holes of minor issues, focusing on smaller and smaller points that as we look closer and closer appear to be exactly the same as the larger picture that, when we started out, seemed so simple and so clear.

We are not different. Our beliefs might make it seem so, but we are not different. At its best, the power of both yours and your detractors' words highlight how much we are the same, not how much we are different. Passion is the best of humanity.

All the best to you, Father Gamble. May you light up peoples' lives, and I mean that sincerely. One doesn't have to believe to be enriched by another's spirit.
NO KILL I
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
November 24th, 2011 at 10:36:52 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Evenbob's just pissed off that he has to go to his sister's again for Thanksgiving. The food apparently is not cooked properly. ;)
If God existed, his sister would just cook the perfect dinner. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, from Arthur Carlson and the folks at W - K - R - P. Video here.

Bringing it back... "As God is my witness...."
NO KILL I
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 24th, 2011 at 11:14:28 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Happy Thanksgiving, from Arthur Carlson and the folks at W - K - R - P. Video here.

OMG!! It's worth looking at just to see the hair on those people!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
November 24th, 2011 at 11:29:57 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

So again Happy Thanksgiving to all who believe in a God, gods, or a higher power. A happy normal day of nothingness to my friends who believe there is nothing.

And a happy day to you and your crutch, Padre. Don't
let anybody kick it away from you, you'd fall down and
one of us godless heathens would have to prop you up
till you found it again.

(and you people think I exaggerate when I say the
Inquisition would still be going on if they could get
away with it)
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 27th, 2011 at 11:22:56 AM permalink
I do not see that believing in a higher power would be any different than nothing, to you. My personal opinion is that the bible is a very long, strange, controversial, contradicting, impossible to understand but you can infer anything that suits your purpose from, waste of trees. That's not to say that I dislike all fiction-love Lee Child.
ikilledjerrylogan
ikilledjerrylogan
  • Threads: 2
November 27th, 2011 at 2:57:48 PM permalink
Bob, a relationship with God isn't a crutch; it's a stretcher. We're nothing (you) without it.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
December 7th, 2011 at 9:27:50 PM permalink
These weeks of Advent are so busy and often difficult. Today it struck me that this season is not about trying to make everything perfect, but allowing God to love us in the midst of our weakness and the problems of life. He came into the midst of a young family with a surprise pregnancy who were traveling away from home at the order of a foreign ruler and when there was no room in the inn and they laid down in a manger - then He came! I imagine Joseph probably thought in that moment before Mary gave birth, "Man, it can't get much worse than this." Then after the birth he said, "Man, it can't get much better than this."

Anyway just wanted to celebrate a little hope and peace that snuck into my busy life trying to make everything "perfect" for Christmas.
FrGamble
FrGamble
December 8th, 2011 at 3:47:19 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The whole religion is based on projecting and reading
between the lines. Why is Mary holy in the Catholic
Church, for instance? I've read the Bible, there's nothing
in there about praying to Mary, or using her name or
about crossing yourself. I've read a little about how Mary
got raised up so high, and its so convoluted and so
confusing, I gave up trying to understand it.

It really comes down to the fourth commandment, "Honor your father and mother" which of course Jesus does and asks us to do. Then on the cross in John's Gospel (Jn19:26-27) He gives us Mary as the mother of the beloved disciple and all beloved disciples. So we honor our mother Mary who Christ reminds us is our mother as well, which makes us truly brothers with Jesus Christ and co-heirs with Him to the Kingdom of Heaven.

By the way that projecting and reading between the lines is called "Sacred Tradition" in the Catholic Church and it is an important part of God's Revelation. From the early days of the Church we have always had a special love for our Blessed Mother Mary.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
December 8th, 2011 at 4:19:52 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

So we honor our mother Mary

'Honor' her? You've deified her to the point
of ridiculousness. Why do Catholics pray to
Mary when Sacred Scripture states that there
is one mediator between God and man--Christ Jesus?

Mary was not a supernatural being as Jesus
supposedly was. Its awfully Pagan to have Mary
so high up, its almost like they did it to draw
in the pagans, having Mary as the goddess
figure. Are they really that devious? (duh)
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
FrGamble
FrGamble
December 8th, 2011 at 8:23:01 PM permalink
Mary is a human being and the most perfect disciple. All prayers are to Jesus Christ and the only way we would say I am praying to Mary is the same way I would ask you to pray for me to God on my behalf. Like the saints she is close to God in Heaven, but hers is a very privilaged place as the Mother of God. Catholics do believe that Jesus Christ is the one and only mediator between God and man, but it never hurts to have the mother of the King put in a good word for you. We speak of honor and devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, but we speak of adoration and worship which belong to God alone.

• Jump to: