Poll

10 votes (34.48%)
19 votes (65.51%)

29 members have voted

mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
July 1st, 2012 at 6:32:36 AM permalink
I dont, why fear something I have no control over.

Ken
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 1st, 2012 at 7:47:18 AM permalink
Quote:

How about fear of mice, frogs, spiders and the number 13?

The first three are phobias based on disease... mouse droppings dried up as a dust can kill
frog slime can make you very sick and get ugly skin infections, spider-bites can make you very sick or even kill.

Some women fear cats, and they should... cat feces can and have been known to cause harm to pregnant women, and by blood, the fetus.

Three-on-a match-comes from WW1, where smoking in the trenches gave away positional info to the enemy. Arrr, it could be treasonous to smoke that vile plant.

Thirteen? unlucky... but there are 13 ranks in a standard deck of playing cards. Consider that for a moment playing 21, PGP, or Texas.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
July 1st, 2012 at 7:57:59 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Yay or nay?

Yes, every day.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 1st, 2012 at 7:58:34 AM permalink
I figure it's due:

"I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
July 1st, 2012 at 9:16:45 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Every fear people have is a fear of death. Heights, drowning, confinement, pain, even rejection by tribemates, it's all fear of circumstances that can lead to death. Not fearing the abstract of death only indicates not processing death as an abstract.

Is the real question "do you like to pretend you don't fear death"? In that case, the answer is "sometimes".

BTW my experience has been that the older someone is, the more pronounced their fear of death tends to be. It reaches comical sometimes. Then again the American cultural tradition to keep people that have met their natural end on animated corpse support for as long as possible is anything but comical.

I have to disagree P90. When I play a sport I fight as hard as I can to keep from losing because I am a competitive person but I dont 'fear' losing. In the same way I would fight to stay alive in most situations but not from any fear of death. I am 65 and comfortable with the life I have led and the life experiences that I have collected along the way. I also expect to live a couple of more decades but that is not my decision and I can accept and face it whenever my death might come along.

Your comment about older people fearing death certainly does not align with my observations. It is likely true that a 40 year old fears death more than a 20 year old since the 20 year still thinks he is immortal and the 40 year old is starting to realize he isn't but at some point in your life most people accept their mortality with no problems.

I have experienced first hand the death of both of my parents and my mother-in-law who had all been institutionlized for many years. I spent several days up to a week with each of them at their end of life. This is a suprisingly peacefull experience that certainly allows you to face your own mortality and accept the natural cycle of life and death.

So NO P90 I truely don't fear life.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
July 1st, 2012 at 9:18:40 AM permalink
No, when it comes it comes, nobody has avoided death yet.

I more fear living under a repressive government that so many are welcoming in the name of "free (insert anything.)"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 53
July 1st, 2012 at 10:39:21 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I more fear living under a repressive government that so many are welcoming in the name of "free (insert anything.)"

Here Here.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
July 1st, 2012 at 10:44:51 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Even Jesus died. Then his followers started a rumor
about him coming back or something. Still
just an urban legend, never been proven.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
jmurillo74
jmurillo74
  • Threads: 5
July 1st, 2012 at 12:11:57 PM permalink
Show me a person who says they are not afraid to die, and I will show you a liar. Nobody can answer this until thier time of dying.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
July 1st, 2012 at 12:15:39 PM permalink
Quote: jmurillo74

Show me a person who says the are not afraid to die, and I will show you a liar. Nobody can answer this until thier time of dying.

The question can only be asked if you're staring death in the
face. I'm afraid of snakes, but not right now because there
are hardly any snakes in my office at the moment.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: