• Threads: 364
July 1st, 2012 at 2:27:41 AM permalink
Yay or nay?
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 1st, 2012 at 3:15:03 AM permalink
The old don't fear death, they welcome it.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
July 1st, 2012 at 3:36:14 AM permalink
When you are far from death you fear it. When you are close to death you do not, you accept it.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
July 1st, 2012 at 3:53:11 AM permalink
Quote: rainman

When you are far from death you fear it. When you are close to death you do not, you accept it.

No. I fear failure. If I drop dead tomorrow, I've already lived a full life at 51.
Death I accept. If life were indeed fair, really fair, I should already have been dead by now.
Death is so utterly normal and actually routine that no one even escapes it, it is THAT normal to undergo. Like breathing, eating and sleeping, it is a mandatory process we must do and undergo, whether we like it or not. So if it is not liked, at least it is an utterly normal process of life. That's the first thing.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2012 at 4:11:55 AM permalink
Obviously I do. If I didn't, I would be doing something fun right now, like plinking down Iraqis, rather than posting in a forum that isn't even about plinking down Iraqis.

Every fear people have is a fear of death. Heights, drowning, confinement, pain, even rejection by tribemates, it's all fear of circumstances that can lead to death. Not fearing the abstract of death only indicates not processing death as an abstract.

Is the real question "do you like to pretend you don't fear death"? In that case, the answer is "sometimes".

BTW my experience has been that the older someone is, the more pronounced their fear of death tends to be. It reaches comical sometimes. Then again the American cultural tradition to keep people that have met their natural end on animated corpse support for as long as possible is anything but comical.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 1st, 2012 at 5:01:30 AM permalink
If death wakes me up in middle of the night in the form of a roaring grizzly bear, I'm going to have a moment.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
July 1st, 2012 at 5:34:48 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Obviously I do. If I didn't, I would be doing something fun right now, like plinking down Iraqis, rather than posting in a forum that isn't even about plinking down Iraqis.

It is not the same thing to not want to do something (or for something to be done to you), and to be afraid of it. I am not afraid of moving to Montana, but I don't want to move there. Likewise, I don't want to die, and will try to avoid it if I can, but I am not afraid of it.

Quote:

Every fear people have is a fear of death. Heights, drowning, confinement, pain, even rejection by tribemates, it's all fear of circumstances that can lead to death.

How about fear of mice, frogs, spiders and the number 13?

Quote:

Not fearing the abstract of death only indicates not processing death as an abstract.

Not an abstract. I think it is just not scary to die, that's all. It could be painful (I don't like pain, and I would be afraid of that piece), or too unexpected (would be embarrassing if death gets to you with your pants down sitting on a toilet, so that might be a little bit scary).

But dying in itself, as "ceasing to exist" isn't scary, and I don't see it can be, unless you subconsciously expect that there is something out there, on the other side, and fear that it might turn out to be not a pleasant place.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 1st, 2012 at 5:40:20 AM permalink
Its a moot question. Its easy not to be afraid of something
thats not staring you in the face. I'm afraid of heights, yet
sitting here in my office, not being on the edge of the Grand
Canyon, I'm not afraid at all.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
P90
P90
July 1st, 2012 at 6:00:37 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Likewise, I don't want to die, and will try to avoid it if I can, but I am not afraid of it.

Are you afraid of falling off a cliff? (when standing on the edge of one)
Drowning? (when you are getting water with your breath)
Being cut or stabbed? (when staring down a knife)
Being shot? (when under fire)

When you can cross every reasonably expectable way off the list, you can have a serious claim to really not being afraid of death.

I actually wanted to add spiders, snakes and mice to my post at first, but decided not to overdo it.
Confinement creates danger of suffocation, spiders and snakes can carry fatal poison, rats are vectors for, at least, bubonic plague.

As for number 13, you could also add gays to the list. Some people might have a phobic fear of it, due to cultural indoctrination, but for the most part it's only conscious superstition without actual fear (as in characteristic amygdala activity).

Not an abstract.
But dying in itself, as "ceasing to exist" isn't scary...

But "ceasing to exist" is pure abstract.

Are people afraid of abstracts? For the most part they aren't. So the question in this context simply comes down to whether you associate this abstract with actually dying and with NDS that you have experienced if any, or if you can only think of it philosophically.
MauiSunset
MauiSunset
  • Threads: 4
July 1st, 2012 at 6:27:40 AM permalink
Organized religions promise an unlimited life after death - they don't supply the fine details on how this works however; just follow what they say and contribute generously and you are guaranteed immortality. I wonder if Wal-Mart has a less expensive version?

If you simply have to die to get unlimited life and virgins then those folks have little fear about death - it's just a speed bump on the highway to immortality and sitting with the gods.

These folks then strap on bombs and fly jets into buildings so they can hurry along to their just reward.

So how do folks believe their 120,000,000,000 neurons get transferred to heaven or hell when they die and where are they stored - in the Matrix? I have a bunch of 2 terabyte USB hard drives that I backup my computers on a regular basis - can I backup my brain too?

Is there an App for that?

I am 100% positive that when my time comes the light switch will be turned from awake to sleep to off and paying off the National Debt will be someone else's problem..........
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
July 1st, 2012 at 6:32:36 AM permalink
I dont, why fear something I have no control over.

Ken
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 1st, 2012 at 7:47:18 AM permalink
Quote:

The first three are phobias based on disease... mouse droppings dried up as a dust can kill
frog slime can make you very sick and get ugly skin infections, spider-bites can make you very sick or even kill.

Some women fear cats, and they should... cat feces can and have been known to cause harm to pregnant women, and by blood, the fetus.

Three-on-a match-comes from WW1, where smoking in the trenches gave away positional info to the enemy. Arrr, it could be treasonous to smoke that vile plant.

Thirteen? unlucky... but there are 13 ranks in a standard deck of playing cards. Consider that for a moment playing 21, PGP, or Texas.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
July 1st, 2012 at 7:57:59 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Yay or nay?

Yes, every day.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 1st, 2012 at 7:58:34 AM permalink
I figure it's due:

"I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
July 1st, 2012 at 9:16:45 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Every fear people have is a fear of death. Heights, drowning, confinement, pain, even rejection by tribemates, it's all fear of circumstances that can lead to death. Not fearing the abstract of death only indicates not processing death as an abstract.

Is the real question "do you like to pretend you don't fear death"? In that case, the answer is "sometimes".

BTW my experience has been that the older someone is, the more pronounced their fear of death tends to be. It reaches comical sometimes. Then again the American cultural tradition to keep people that have met their natural end on animated corpse support for as long as possible is anything but comical.

I have to disagree P90. When I play a sport I fight as hard as I can to keep from losing because I am a competitive person but I dont 'fear' losing. In the same way I would fight to stay alive in most situations but not from any fear of death. I am 65 and comfortable with the life I have led and the life experiences that I have collected along the way. I also expect to live a couple of more decades but that is not my decision and I can accept and face it whenever my death might come along.

Your comment about older people fearing death certainly does not align with my observations. It is likely true that a 40 year old fears death more than a 20 year old since the 20 year still thinks he is immortal and the 40 year old is starting to realize he isn't but at some point in your life most people accept their mortality with no problems.

I have experienced first hand the death of both of my parents and my mother-in-law who had all been institutionlized for many years. I spent several days up to a week with each of them at their end of life. This is a suprisingly peacefull experience that certainly allows you to face your own mortality and accept the natural cycle of life and death.

So NO P90 I truely don't fear life.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 1st, 2012 at 9:18:40 AM permalink
No, when it comes it comes, nobody has avoided death yet.

I more fear living under a repressive government that so many are welcoming in the name of "free (insert anything.)"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
July 1st, 2012 at 10:39:21 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I more fear living under a repressive government that so many are welcoming in the name of "free (insert anything.)"

Here Here.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 1st, 2012 at 10:44:51 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Even Jesus died. Then his followers started a rumor
about him coming back or something. Still
just an urban legend, never been proven.
jmurillo74
jmurillo74
  • Threads: 5
July 1st, 2012 at 12:11:57 PM permalink
Show me a person who says they are not afraid to die, and I will show you a liar. Nobody can answer this until thier time of dying.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 1st, 2012 at 12:15:39 PM permalink
Quote: jmurillo74

Show me a person who says the are not afraid to die, and I will show you a liar. Nobody can answer this until thier time of dying.

The question can only be asked if you're staring death in the
face. I'm afraid of snakes, but not right now because there
are hardly any snakes in my office at the moment.
rxwine
rxwine
July 1st, 2012 at 12:22:44 PM permalink
Once in a while I've woken up in hotel room in total darkness, aware only that I don't recognize the bed I'm in, and have no idea where I am. (not even aware I'm in a hotel room as I can't see a thing). It's bizarre and disconcerting.

But maybe that's more like full-blown Alzheimer’s than death.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 1st, 2012 at 1:39:46 PM permalink
None of us are getting out of here alive !
MauiSunset
MauiSunset
July 1st, 2012 at 1:42:51 PM permalink
As of this post there are twice as many folks not scared of dying than those of us scared out of our whits.

This is scary........
eagledice
eagledice
  • Threads: 0
July 1st, 2012 at 1:59:11 PM permalink
I do not fear death.

I fear coming home at 2:00 in the morning and not having a good excuse........

EagleDice
P90
P90
July 1st, 2012 at 2:11:07 PM permalink
Quote: MauiSunset

As of this post there are twice as many folks not scared of dying than those of us scared out of our whits.
This is scary........

This bodes well for this forum if we ever go to war with a micronation of system bettors led by President Logan. Our side may have fewer people, but 12 out of 16 not fearing death is better than militaries, what with all those 35-pound armor suits - we can take these pansies in a bayonet charge while they're cowering in their trenches.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 1st, 2012 at 2:15:49 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

None of us are getting out of here alive !

that quote made me laugh, good one.

I don't think I fear death because I believe in the Resurrection, but I am a little scared of dying if that makes any sense.
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 2:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

I don't think I fear death because I believe in the Resurrection, but I am a little scared of dying if that makes any sense.

I will say it does make sense, and I'll spare you the commentary.

Oh, BTW, I plan to live forever. So far so good :P
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 1st, 2012 at 2:25:32 PM permalink

that quote made me laugh, good one.

I knew life wasn't fair when the Catholic Church stop saying the mass in Latin. And me, a 2 year student of Latin at Mt. St. Joseph's in Catonsville. NO FAIR
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 1st, 2012 at 3:10:55 PM permalink

Total sense. An unsuspecting strike to the head, not bad. Breaking a leg in the wilderness and wasting away for a week, very bad. I feel the same way.

I fear death in the sense that when faced with it, I fight it tooth and nail. Certainly, I'd suspect that nearly every living creature is the same way. But I'm not so scared I won't do things I want. I'd hate to fall 150' onto rocks, but the view from the edge of the gorge was great. I'd hate to suffocate, but I wanted to hold that 160lb python. I've nearly drowned twice and it was terrifying, but whitewater canoeing is so much fun.

I've always said I'd never tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death. Experiences like those listed above add value to my life. Fear would take that away.

One life. Live it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rxwine
rxwine
July 1st, 2012 at 3:18:37 PM permalink
The joke goes: grandpa didn't fear death; it was all his passengers screaming at the top of their lungs
MauiSunset
MauiSunset
July 1st, 2012 at 3:28:48 PM permalink
I've often speculated that if a super intelligent race of beings wanted this water planet for a theme park that all they would have to do is pretend to be god and pass out the plastic bags with instructions on how to place them over your head and pull the zip line closed - heaven was just 3 minutes away.

Now I'm beginning to think this might actually happen and I'm going to be a sole survivor and be enslaved as the janitor at the new water park...........
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 1st, 2012 at 5:03:09 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I will say it does make sense, and I'll spare you the commentary.

So do I, that is awesome, yet another thing we can both agree on :P
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 1st, 2012 at 5:44:01 PM permalink
No one wants to live forever, but everyone wants one more day.

(Except Nareed, of course!)
A falling knife has no handle.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 1st, 2012 at 6:08:53 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I do not want to live one more day than my wife.
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 6:21:38 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I do want to. I plan to, even. But I don't expect it.

Still, I haven't died even once today, so I must be doing something right :P
Face
Administrator
Face
July 1st, 2012 at 6:24:52 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

At the risk of derailment, would anyone really want to live forever? Living forever sounds terrible =/
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 1st, 2012 at 6:30:44 PM permalink
I don't fear death. I fear going through the process. If I could go into a surgery for something like fixing an umbilical hernia, thinking that I'll come out the other side of the surgery just fine but during the procedure the Anesthesiologist manages to murder me .. I'm okay with that. If I get cancer, that's a completely different issue.
Quote: Face

At the risk of derailment, would anyone really want to live forever? Living forever sounds terrible =/

I'd find something new to do each day. Sort of like Groundhog Day without the predictability.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
July 1st, 2012 at 6:38:07 PM permalink

I would. I think, this question deserves another poll though.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Face
Administrator
Face
July 1st, 2012 at 6:42:11 PM permalink

I would. I think, this question deserves another poll though.

I thought so, too, but wasn't sure. Coming right up...
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 6:46:57 PM permalink

At the risk of derailment, would anyone really want to live forever?

I do.

Of course, I could change my mind after a few trillion years...

Quote:

Living forever sounds terrible =/

It's better than the alternative. But then, well.... :P
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 3rd, 2012 at 10:56:19 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If death wakes me up in middle of the night in the form of a roaring grizzly bear, I'm going to have a moment.

I see you've met my ex-wife...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: