odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 25th, 2012 at 8:40:00 AM permalink
Maybe this is old hat to all of you , but I just learned recently where this mask various protestors are using comes from. It was bugging some of us since there is some actor too who seems to want to imitate this look and we started to really wonder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_mask

again, apologies if everybody else knew this 'cept me. There is a certain popularization that came from the movie "V for Vendetta"

btw in my book Fawkes is the first modern style terrorist.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
March 25th, 2012 at 9:54:38 AM permalink
I am fairly active in libertarian (I used the small "L" because I am not refering to the party) circles and that mask is embraced as a general symbol of anti-government-ness. You are right that Fawkes was a terrorist so I should probably note that I am not involved in any groups which encourage or tolerate violence against anyone. The mask has become a symbol of something larger than its namesake.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
March 25th, 2012 at 12:02:03 PM permalink
I note the comment "modern-day terrorist".
Nay sez I. Fawkes plan was directed at the government directly involving government "victims".
Modern terrorism is directed at the general public to instill a feeling of insecurity, and thus the gov't (national, state, local) must increase military/police presence. Once the military/police are out in the open, the modern plan targets them. The modern terrorist is not Fawkes' style by the initial targetting, and non-political targets, The modern terrorists wishes to instill fear amongst all, not liberate all from tyranny.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: