Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 15th, 2012 at 3:30:48 PM permalink
As promised here's the long-awaited thread on gifts and presents

To begin with I make a distinction between gifts and presents. This is personal, but it may apply to other people.

Gifts first. A gift is a token of affection which is freely given, for no other reason that it pelases you to do so. A gift doesn't come with strings attached and carries no ulterior motives. It can be a payment of sorts for positive contributions to one's life. For example, you may so like a friend for what her firendshipa dn support over years, or months, has ment for you, that you want to give her something extra in return (this assumes you've been a friend and have ofered support when warranted). This applies more so to your spouse or to your boyfirend or girlfriend. It may apply to acquaintances, too, if you hold them in a high enough regard.

Does it make a difference when gifts are given? Yes. A gift is best given when it isn't expected. But some occasions are best marked with a gift given, as noted above, as a token of affection. So you may reserve a special gift for your spouse or significan other (is that phrease still in use?) for Valentine's Day, for example. A gift for a friend may be reserved for her birthday or Christmas. But they don't need to be. ti would eb perfectly all right to give your boyfirend an extravagant gift on any day, and then a regular gift on your anniversary or another appropriate time.

One thing is that you shoulnd't keep score. A token is just that, a sign or symbol of how much you like or love someone.

Presents, now, are very much like gifts, only they are given mroe formally and in exchange for simialr things, or in payment for services rendered, or as tips for services, even. They're given mroe formally, such as wedding presents, or Christmas presents, or for Valentine's Day, Birthdays, Mother's day, Father's day, etc. They're expected and, in some occasions, even demanded. For example, if you sent John and Jill a present for their wedding, you'd expect them to send you a similar present for your wedding. In many offices they set up a "secret Santa" exchange, where you give a present to Peter and get one from Paul.

Personally I steer clear of the whole presents debacle, and mostly I succeed. Meaning I hardly ever give any and hardly ever get any. I'm fine with that, as I'm a very hard person to find a present for. Last time my sister in law tried to get me a present, she gave up in confussion. Of course, she made a mistake: she asked me what I wanted.

I do enjoy getting other people gifts. I get a very pleasant thrill when I find the perfect gift for someone. Of course that is highly presumptous and a subject fir for a thread of its own.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: