Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 4th, 2011 at 2:29:12 PM permalink
Quote: dm

...why bother with the handgun restrictions if you can have 7 double naught buckshot at the ready.

Because not everyone lives in the gun paradise that is the South ;) Try that in NY and you'll create a mad panic and have 20 police jumping on your head and filling your eyes with pepper within a few minutes. Even during hunting season you can only walk down the road with it unloaded and the action open, same goes for the car. You can't load it until you cross the ditch. Have it loaded in the car and go to jail. Even having the action closed but unloaded will get you pulled out of the car.

I used to think the same way. Of all my hand cannons and assault rifles, my 20gauge Remington 870 pump action shotgun is still one of my favorites. Come the alien invasion, zombie apocalypse or Canadian occupation, I'd forsake the AR-15, M-10 Battle Rifle, the 10mm and any other gun I have for my cheapo, trusty, Remington 870. But once you get into pistols, there's no going back. In NY you don't have a choice, you can't walk around with a loaded shotgun performing errands and such. But even if you could, if you carry a shotgun, that's what your doing. You can't fish, can't climb, can't canoe, you can only carry. And those things get bloody heavy after 6-8 hours in the field. My Glock I can just holster up, go fishing, go canoeing, go ATVing, hit up Walmart, go out to dinner, get some groceries, whatever. I can go anywhere and do anything while carrying as long as the building isn't Federal. That trumps the awesomeness of the boom stick.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 4th, 2011 at 3:18:38 PM permalink
I never did the concealed weapon license deal, but I gathered that without having it I was still legal with that shotgun riding beside
me. Plus I know I can fend off several guys with that shotgun. I can't say I have much confidence in my pistol accuracy. I have a few
small pistols and I have shot them enough to know I can't shoot worth crap. I would not feel confident in defending myself against even a very few attackers with a pistol. I would rather have those 7 or 8 shots that almost can't miss, even against a bear.
Face
Administrator
Face
November 4th, 2011 at 3:44:19 PM permalink

I never did the concealed weapon license deal, but I gathered that without having it I was still legal with that shotgun riding beside
me.

Maybe...IN TEXAS lol. That would not fly in Soviet Russia NY. NY gun laws are brutal, like one step down from taking a gun across borders or on a plane. You can't carry loaded shotguns/rifles in a car or on a road. You can't have them in your house. All must be unloaded with actions open. In order to have a pistol, unloaded or not, you must have a lockable safe (not a "gun cabinet") that is a permanent fixture of your house, as in bolted to the floor or wall. If Brock Lesnar came to my house and said "evening, Face, I'm here to steal everything you own" but did not threaten my person and I shoot him, I go to jail. If someone breaks into my house and steals my pistol and commits a crime with it, I go to jail. If any of my shotguns or pistols hold more than 10 rounds, I get fined and lose equipment. Full auto? Fuhgetaboudit.

I would not feel confident in defending myself against even a very few attackers with a pistol. I would rather have those 7 or 8 shots that almost can't miss, even against a bear.

Just do what vert did and get the Governor. Shoots .45 ACP or a .410gauge shotgun round with 4 big pellets =D

Face
Administrator
Face
November 6th, 2011 at 3:48:33 PM permalink
Bah, I should've asked this when this post was still hot, but I'll give er a rip now and leave it to hope...

Is anyone familiar with where to get gun parts? I recently obtained my grandpappy's dispatcher pistol. It's a .22 short rifle, break action, 7 shot revolver he got for $1.25 in the '40's. The grip is an extension of the metal frame, and has a peice of plastic bolted on each side to give the grip it's shape and some meat to hold onto. The problem is, one of those plastic pieces was broken many years ago, leaving a sizable hole and making it awkward to hold. I'd have to check for more specific model info, but I don't remember it being anything familiar so I doubt it's a case of just contacting the company.

Does anyone have any idea of where I might start looking, outside of the typical E-bay/Craigslist option?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 6th, 2011 at 4:21:11 PM permalink
What about them orange plastic flare pistols they sell to yachtsmen?
(And the kit that is kept beneath the display case that lets those plastic flare guns fire shotgun cartridges?).

Laws? Its always better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
November 6th, 2011 at 5:30:14 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Bah, I should've asked this when this post was still hot, but I'll give er a rip now and leave it to hope...

Is anyone familiar with where to get gun parts? I recently obtained my grandpappy's dispatcher pistol. It's a .22 short rifle, break action, 7 shot revolver he got for $1.25 in the '40's. The grip is an extension of the metal frame, and has a peice of plastic bolted on each side to give the grip it's shape and some meat to hold onto. The problem is, one of those plastic pieces was broken many years ago, leaving a sizable hole and making it awkward to hold. I'd have to check for more specific model info, but I don't remember it being anything familiar so I doubt it's a case of just contacting the company.

Does anyone have any idea of where I might start looking, outside of the typical E-bay/Craigslist option?

Gunbroker.com
or
gunsamerica.com

If you know the maker and model, it can be found on one of those two sites......they have THOUSANDS of parts on there....every gun shop in the US lists on there.....

On a side note I bought another gun today!!......Was at the gun show....and when I saw I could not believe it....I have wanted one of these since I was 10 years old, and saw one in a magazine.....this has been a 24 year quest!!!!.....It is a Whitney Wolverine!....the company was only around from 1956 to 1958 and they only made about 13k of these pistols...and only 500 in nickel(the coolest looking one).....They are right out of the 50's were everything had to look futuristic.....and look like it was off the set of a cheezy space travel movie set!....When I saw it I almost fell over.....and start jumping up and down clapping like a little girl!(not my proudest moment)....The dealer knew that I was in love and would pay his price with no haggling :( oh well, I just had to have it.....I have never paid $1900 for a 22lr pistol before LMAO....but truthfully I would have paid twice that much, and not felt bad for a second....On man Im in love....and have been polishing it for about 45min now LOL

Face
Administrator
Face
November 6th, 2011 at 5:52:29 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

Gunbroker.com
or
gunsamerica.com

If you know the maker and model, it can be found on one of those two sites......they have THOUSANDS of parts on there....every gun shop in the US lists on there.....

Awesome, thanks so much. I didn't have a clue as to whether I'd ever see it whole again. Like I said, the make wasn't familiar to me (which is something, given my gun love) and I feared I'd never be able to fix it. Now I have hope!

Quote: vert1276

On a side note I bought another gun today!!.....]

Dad? Is...is that you? ;) J/K of course, but you remind me of him. Everytime I see him he's got something new to fiddle around with, though nothing as strange as that Whitney. Gratz on your purchase!

• Jump to: