vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
November 1st, 2011 at 7:46:47 PM permalink
Have been wanting one for years....it was on my "must have list"....came in the mail today....just went an picked it up....and have been drooling on it for a couple of hours....nothing like a 1970's Colt python 357 mag!

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 1st, 2011 at 8:17:21 PM permalink
Nice gun.

Now that you've scratched that itch, how about some automatic knives?

I just got this one ... bladehq

There are several sites you can buy them online, no questions asked, and they're shipped to your home even if your state forbids automatic knives.

"The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys."
"What, me worry?"
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
November 1st, 2011 at 8:23:40 PM permalink
Very nice, a big revolver is much more intimidating that 90% of the guns out there and drop dead reliable too!
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 1st, 2011 at 8:34:58 PM permalink
Oh, vert. /drool. I can feel those odd gears start to turn in the back of my head, the ones responsible for driving the "needless wants" machine. Got a purpose for that, or is it like so many of my "just cuz" purchases? ;)

This is one of the faves out of my arsenal, single action Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag. It doesn't have that old world allure to it, but it's just so big and brash. And the BOOM! it makes tends to make all lifes problems drop away, forgotten. It's too expensive to shoot, way too big for CCW, too heavy to carry for long hours, and since I no longer hunt, really has no purpose in my life anymore. But damn if I can even think about parting ways with it. There's just something about big revolvers...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
vert1276
vert1276
November 1st, 2011 at 9:16:29 PM permalink
It was a"just cause" purchases....I would never carry a "blued" gun...They just get to much holster wear....plus I think a 4 barrel is just maybe an inch to long to carry..IMO....I guess it would make a great "night stand gun"......but it will probably only get 100 rounds a year or so and sit in my gun safe....I will never carry it.....have to many others to fill that need that I didn't spend $2300 on LOL

As for for your Blackhawk....it is a sweet gun....Believe it or not...I own about 45 hand guns....and around 80 guns of all types....and I am a HUGE revolver fan...and own at least 20....but I do not even own 1 single action revolver......I dont know why...I have just never been into "cowboy guns".....and what funny is when at the range(my back 40)....I fire most of my revolvers single action.....although this Colt I just got has the nicest double action tiger pull I have ever felt!...But if I was to buy a single action, it would be for sure a ruger...only becasue they are the only single actions out there that look "modern"

This is my second gun I bought this week....my wife is PISSED lol.....I also just bought a Smith & Wesson.."GOVERNOR" lol....a total novelty gun I will almost never use or fire....But come one, what guy doesn't want a revolver that fires shotgun shells LOL. that's just too cool to not own one LOL
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
November 1st, 2011 at 9:24:06 PM permalink
Nice knife. $400 seems rather steep though. When I was a teenager I purchased an "automatic knife" in Tijuana, but the ejecting mechanism didn't last long. It probably would have only caused laughter in a knife fight anyway.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
November 1st, 2011 at 9:45:46 PM permalink
It is interesting to hear of members' interests and hobbies outside of gaming. I really have little to contribute to this thread, since I have only owned two firearms in my life. I currently have one of them, obtained through inheritance: a Smith and Wesson Model 18 "Combat Masterpiece". This is a .22 cal. revolver in the same frame size and appearance and similar weight as several other models (10, 12, 13, 15, 19) in .38 and .357 calibers. My guess is that the .22 model was introduced as a practice weapon, giving the same feel at a much lower operating expense for practice sessions than the larger-bore revolvers.

Long ago, I had quite a bit of experience at small-bore riflery -- target shooting only, and with rifles owned by the team sponsors. I have no interest in hunting or in firearms for self defense. I have long thought about taking up pistol target shooting, but I think I would prefer an auto-loader to a revolver, perhaps in 9 mm or .45 cal. I have limited experience with such firearms, but the idea has lead me to ponder trying to sell the S&W revolver and direct the funds toward a target piece. I have never looked into it enough to really get serious.

Quote: Wizard

It probably would have only caused laughter in a knife fight anyway.

Only briefly.
MrV
MrV
November 1st, 2011 at 11:33:40 PM permalink

Nice knife. $400 seems rather steep though. When I was a teenager I purchased an "automatic knife" in Tijuana, but the ejecting mechanism didn't last long. It probably would have only caused laughter in a knife fight anyway.

That Microtech is far and away my best automatic knife.

I have about ten others, all purchased from a sister site that focuses on "affordable" switchblades.

see ... bladeplay

The knife shown is my favorite from those guys: affordable, well made, and quick, tight action.

Again, they ship "no questions asked."
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 2nd, 2011 at 6:46:51 AM permalink
None of that is my thing, but those are absolutely beautiful machines, both the guns and the knives. I can understand the attraction.

Both great photos by the way, Vert I especially like that one, with the weathered box. (Photography is my kind of shooting.)
A falling knife has no handle.
vert1276
vert1276
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:00:20 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Nice gun.

Now that you've scratched that itch, how about some automatic knives?

I just got this one ... bladehq

There are several sites you can buy them online, no questions asked, and they're shipped to your home even if your state forbids automatic knives.

"The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys."

Microtechs are sweet for sure.....if you ever mess around on youtube...."cutlerylover" does a lot of microtech knife reviews....I can easily spend 2 or 3 thousand on a nice hand gun or rife or shotgun I "just have to have"....but cant bring myself to spend 400 on a knife lol.....the other thing that scares me is the laws on these knifes....they are so shady.....of course every state has different laws when it comes to "automatic knives"....But would hate to get some dickhead cop/judge to screw me over because I was carrying one....get a felony on my record and would be unable to own guns if that happened!....Hell...I know in California you can be convicted of a felony concealed weapon charge with a butter knife in your pocket....you even hear "urban legend" stories of dickhead judges in Cali convicting people on felony charges for carrying a concealed "stabling weapon"...and the weapon was a ball point pen!.....
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:08:32 AM permalink

No one will EVER get a chance to laugh at my knife in no knife fight, you adventurous dude! In a knife fight worry about yourself crying and ignore what the opponent is doing.
Face
Administrator
Face
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:54:04 AM permalink
Quote: vert1276

This is my second gun I bought this week....my wife is PISSED lol.....I also just bought a Smith & Wesson.."GOVERNOR" lol....

Ha! You got the .410? I saw that and my first thought was that it was the most hilarious thing I'd even seen, followed by the second thought "I want one" ;) I think I can kind of understand that whole "once you get one tattoo, you just want more" mentality.

I don't blame you not owning a single action, they're not really versatile.You can't use em for carry and at $1 per shot it's not something I can afford for a day of plinking. I usually just break it out to behold it's majesty, maybe burn through a cylinder just to feel it again, and put it back to bed. Occasionally I'll hold the trigger and fan the hammer old west style, but the iron sight tears up my palm, and let's face it, it's a .44. The first shot usually blows a crater in the ground 15 feet in front of me, the second goes about where I was hoping, and the third goes up into the tree tops.

Quote: Doc

I have long thought about taking up pistol target shooting, but I think I would prefer an auto-loader to a revolver, perhaps in 9 mm or .45 cal. I have limited experience with such firearms, but the idea has lead me to ponder trying to sell the S&W revolver and direct the funds toward a target piece. I have never looked into it enough to really get serious.

Do it, Doc, it's a fantastic hobby. I would suggest a Glock. It's a little funny getting used to the weight if you grew up on big bore revolvers, but everything about them is near perfect. They come in just about any caliber you could want, they're high quality, they're probably #1 in ease of maintenance, and brand new you can pick one up for $600. Squeeze the gun, pull a little lever and it just falls apart for cleaning (there's only three parts you need to maintain). The majority of it is that composite/plastic stuff, so there's no pitting, rusting or corrosion, no wood to warp and crack. About the only thing I wouldn't give high marks on is use for hunting. Literally any other factor you could think of, I'd rate it high.

I'd also suggest the 9mm over the .45. The .45 is a LOT bigger in the grip since it has to fit the larger round, and it just feels funky. Also, the price of ammo is a good deal more for .45. It won't make a big difference if you rip 100 shots a year out of it, but the more you use it, the worse that difference becomes. A 9mm was too small for me (bought it primarily for bear protection) and the .45 too expensive to shoot, so I got a .40 (Model22 RTF). Just a tick more expensive for ammo but the same size gun as the 9mm. And even with the tactical grip, night sights, tax and registration, it only cost me $620. Can't beat that.
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:40:41 PM permalink

Have been wanting one for years....it was on my "must have list"....came in the mail today....just went an picked it up....and have been drooling on it for a couple of hours....nothing like a 1970's Colt python 357 mag!

Time to grow a moustache and start solving murders!
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:19:54 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I have long thought about taking up pistol target shooting, but I think I would prefer an auto-loader to a revolver, perhaps in 9 mm or .45 cal. I have limited experience with such firearms, but the idea has lead me to ponder trying to sell the S&W revolver and direct the funds toward a target piece. I have never looked into it enough to really get serious.

I echo Face's encouragement Doc. It can be as hardcore a pursuit as you want it to be, with options only limited by your pocketbook. If you are looking into it, a great place to start is your local firing range. They probably have a variety of frame styles, materials and calibers for you to try, before you buy.

I would recommend the Colt 1911 "Gold Cup". It is ready for competition right out of the box, or you can customize it till your wife takes the credit card away... sigh...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:43:36 PM permalink
Nice 357. I'm a gun nut, and have many hand guns.
I had a 357 and sold it for a 44 magnum last year.
It has a long barrel and is a hand cannon that will
break your wrist if you don't handle it right. I don't
shoot it much, too damned expensive.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
vert1276
vert1276
November 2nd, 2011 at 2:35:51 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Nice 357. I'm a gun nut, and have many hand guns.
I had a 357 and sold it for a 44 magnum last year.
It has a long barrel and is a hand cannon that will
break your wrist if you don't handle it right. I don't
shoot it much, too damned expensive.

ya really the expense of shooting is the ammo...sure the gun is expensive...but its a one time expense.....spending $10-$20 for a box of just range ball ammo for 50 rounds is the expensive part....that is why a 22lr is just so dam popular....and almost every manufacturer at least make one or 2 different models of them.....becasue they are CHEAP to go throw some lead down range.....$20 for 500 rounds....fun for hours for $20.....I shoot a lot and have my own range on my property...and always have friends over shooting as well.....and go through maybe like 5k rounds a month......This is why I reload....and even cast most of my own bullets....Of course even with me reloading its an expensive hobby...but will me reloading it 3 or 5 cents a round(for hand gun calibers) rather than 30 or 50 cents a round.....if I bought ammo at the gun show/shop
dm
dm
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:40:07 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Oh, vert. /drool. I can feel those odd gears start to turn in the back of my head, the ones responsible for driving the "needless wants" machine. Got a purpose for that, or is it like so many of my "just cuz" purchases? ;)

This is one of the faves out of my arsenal, single action Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag. It doesn't have that old world allure to it, but it's just so big and brash. And the BOOM! it makes tends to make all lifes problems drop away, forgotten. It's too expensive to shoot, way too big for CCW, too heavy to carry for long hours, and since I no longer hunt, really has no purpose in my life anymore. But damn if I can even think about parting ways with it. There's just something about big revolvers...

It's a beast. I had it in my head that the cartridges were much bigger, say the diameter of a dime.
dm
dm
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:43:11 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

None of that is my thing, but those are absolutely beautiful machines, both the guns and the knives. I can understand the attraction.

Both great photos by the way, Vert I especially like that one, with the weathered box. (Photography is my kind of shooting.)

Yes, the box is cool and I'm guessing the gun is new condition.
Face
Administrator
Face
November 2nd, 2011 at 7:28:09 PM permalink
Quote: dm

It's a beast. I had it in my head that the cartridges were much bigger, say the diameter of a dime.

LOL! I couldn't imagine. That'd be up to shotgun slug territory. Talk about breaking wrists, it'd make the .44 feel like an airsoft pellet gun.

The Piefer Zeliska is the largest cartridge hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .600 caliber, or in other words, just a tad shy of anti-aircraft potential. I haven't ever seen one, but at $17,000 and $40 per round, I can see why.

The S&W Taurus is the baddest non-rare hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .500 and nowhere near multi-thousands of dollars, which makes me want it. But .500 isn't something offered at the local Walmart, nor would I want to see how much a box of 50 would go for, so it's still the trusty Glock .40 for me. ' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_500/MVC-768F.jpg]

The .44mag isn't badass so much because of the size of the bullet, but all that's behind it. If you stare top-down at the two rounds, .40 and a .44, you could probably see one being just a tick wider than the other. Stand em side-by-side though, and the .44 almost twice as tall. All that extra length is extra boom powder. Gotta love mags =)

I wanted a Colt .45 1911 so bad, but I got my license right before my trip to Vegas. In NY, you have 30 days from receiving your license to get a gun otherwise it gets voided, so I HAD to get one. I had to choose to either blow my whole wad on the 1911, or get a Glock and have some gambling money. Hand guns > hand pays.
MrV
MrV
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:29:24 PM permalink
The .600 Nitro Express looks like fun.

nitroexpress
"What, me worry?"
Face
Administrator
Face
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:04:29 PM permalink

The .600 Nitro Express looks like fun.

nitroexpress

Off hand guns, if you liked the .600, then you should enjoy the .577 T-Rex

T-Rex

I've never backed down from trying a new gun...... This one I'd pass on. I think anytime you can manage the recoil, the Earth shifts on it's axis as a result.
dm
dm
November 3rd, 2011 at 11:06:57 AM permalink

LOL! I couldn't imagine. That'd be up to shotgun slug territory. Talk about breaking wrists, it'd make the .44 feel like an airsoft pellet gun.

The Piefer Zeliska is the largest cartridge hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .600 caliber, or in other words, just a tad shy of anti-aircraft potential. I haven't ever seen one, but at $17,000 and $40 per round, I can see why.

The S&W Taurus is the baddest non-rare hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .500 and nowhere near multi-thousands of dollars, which makes me want it. But .500 isn't something offered at the local Walmart, nor would I want to see how much a box of 50 would go for, so it's still the trusty Glock .40 for me. ' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_500/MVC-768F.jpg]

The .44mag isn't badass so much because of the size of the bullet, but all that's behind it. If you stare top-down at the two rounds, .40 and a .44, you could probably see one being just a tick wider than the other. Stand em side-by-side though, and the .44 almost twice as tall. All that extra length is extra boom powder. Gotta love mags =)

I wanted a Colt .45 1911 so bad, but I got my license right before my trip to Vegas. In NY, you have 30 days from receiving your license to get a gun otherwise it gets voided, so I HAD to get one. I had to choose to either blow my whole wad on the 1911, or get a Glock and have some gambling money. Hand guns > hand pays.

I was partly kidding and partly not. When shooting one it feels like you surely must be throwing out QUARTERS. I used the word beast, should have used mule.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 3rd, 2011 at 11:56:20 AM permalink
The "new" owners of the company that produces the Desert Eagle brand of .50 cal semi-autos is rolling out a 10-in barreled model next year:

.50 semi-auto rounds seem almost managable. It's about $2 everytime you squeeze of the trigger.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
dm
dm
November 3rd, 2011 at 3:13:15 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The "new" owners of the company that produces the Desert Eagle brand of .50 cal semi-autos is rolling out a 10-in barreled model next year:

.50 semi-auto rounds seem almost managable. It's about $2 everytime you squeeze of the trigger.

I can see a need for that in bear country.
vert1276
vert1276
November 4th, 2011 at 4:33:38 AM permalink
this is the only gun you will ever need for Bear Country......I have never owned one, but a couple of my friends do. I have fired maybe 10 rounds out of one. It s a wrist snapper for sure LOL......If I was a hiker in "bear country" this is the firearm that would be in my holster! the most powerful hand gun made(well, mass produced, and available, There is some crazy "one off" stuff out there like we have seen in this thread)

Just to give you some prospective on how large a S&W 500 magnum round is......This is a 440 grain bullet.....The average 9mm rounds I reload all the time use a 114 grain bullet....

let's just say...its less than comfortable to fire something that large....especially out of a "snub nose" revolver....If you can consider a 4" barrel a "snub nose" but when its on that big of a frame it just looks like one! LOL
MrV
MrV
November 4th, 2011 at 6:41:56 AM permalink
Hikers and pistols and bears, oh my!

Just wondering: if you are hiking in Alaska and kill a bear that is attacking you in self defense, and you have no bear hunting tag/ license: would you be cited / charged with a crime?
"What, me worry?"
vert1276
vert1276
November 4th, 2011 at 6:59:31 AM permalink

Hikers and pistols and bears, oh my!

Just wondering: if you are hiking in Alaska and kill a bear that is attacking you in self defense, and you have no bear hunting tag/ license: would you be cited / charged with a crime?

NO..killing an animal in self deference is never a crime......of course if you do it every week...Fish and game might catch on ;-)
Face
Administrator
Face
November 4th, 2011 at 1:57:48 PM permalink
Love both that .50 and .500, but not in those barrel sizes. A 10" barrel's too unweildy, and that snub nose is just ridiculous for such a big gun. That .500 (plus a few inches of barrel) is on my "to get" list. I seen a pistol that had a 16" barrel, not really sure what the point of that is...

I carry a .40 for bear protection. Granted, in NY I only have to worry about blacks so a .40 is sufficient. If I ever make it to Alaska I'll definately be at least carrying the Ruger .44. But hopefully by then, if I can afford an Alaska trip, I will have already gotten the Taurus .500.

You can kill anything in defense, including protected species like wolves (I believe they were put back on the list after a very short open season). But bet your ass the DEC will investigate it, including several interrogations of you and any of your party. A good friend of mine plunked a bear off season because... well, because he's an idiot. The DEC was all over him. He claimed "self defense" and created a story, which they blew apart. It's no different than the police investigating a shooting, they'll look through every detail including your story, the animals disposition dependant on season, etc and so on. He lost his gun, priviledge to hunt for 3 years, and several thousand dollars in fines.

I had an encounter with a mama and cubs where I could have killed her and been fine. Fortunately for her, I had enough wit to beat feet and get out of Dodge, although my dim witted friend was almost not so lucky. As long as the situation warrants it, and as long as you're legal as far carrying a pistol is concerned, you'll have no issues regardless of hunting license, protected list, etc.
dm
dm
November 4th, 2011 at 1:59:50 PM permalink
My must-have gun was stolen when my car was broken into. It was a just-legal 12 gauge, 3 inch I believe, Winchester pump, 7 or 8
capacity, 18 inch barrel, I believe, with a pistol grip. Man, did it feel good to have that thing at hands reach from drivers seat. I was told that in Texas there are virtually no laws regarding shotguns. I asked a police officer if I could march right into Walmart with a shotgun in my hand and he said perfectly legal. At any rate, why bother with the handgun restrictions if you can have 7 double naught buckshot at the ready. I kept it at my office (sole proprietor, sole occupant) and took traveling.
dm
dm
November 4th, 2011 at 2:03:47 PM permalink

this is the only gun you will ever need for Bear Country......I have never owned one, but a couple of my friends do. I have fired maybe 10 rounds out of one. It s a wrist snapper for sure LOL......If I was a hiker in "bear country" this is the firearm that would be in my holster! the most powerful hand gun made(well, mass produced, and available, There is some crazy "one off" stuff out there like we have seen in this thread)

Just to give you some prospective on how large a S&W 500 magnum round is......This is a 440 grain bullet.....The average 9mm rounds I reload all the time use a 114 grain bullet....

let's just say...its less than comfortable to fire something that large....especially out of a "snub nose" revolver....If you can consider a 4" barrel a "snub nose" but when its on that big of a frame it just looks like one! LOL

Has to be AA but can't verify that from the picture.
Face
Administrator
Face
November 4th, 2011 at 2:29:12 PM permalink

...why bother with the handgun restrictions if you can have 7 double naught buckshot at the ready.

Because not everyone lives in the gun paradise that is the South ;) Try that in NY and you'll create a mad panic and have 20 police jumping on your head and filling your eyes with pepper within a few minutes. Even during hunting season you can only walk down the road with it unloaded and the action open, same goes for the car. You can't load it until you cross the ditch. Have it loaded in the car and go to jail. Even having the action closed but unloaded will get you pulled out of the car.

I used to think the same way. Of all my hand cannons and assault rifles, my 20gauge Remington 870 pump action shotgun is still one of my favorites. Come the alien invasion, zombie apocalypse or Canadian occupation, I'd forsake the AR-15, M-10 Battle Rifle, the 10mm and any other gun I have for my cheapo, trusty, Remington 870. But once you get into pistols, there's no going back. In NY you don't have a choice, you can't walk around with a loaded shotgun performing errands and such. But even if you could, if you carry a shotgun, that's what your doing. You can't fish, can't climb, can't canoe, you can only carry. And those things get bloody heavy after 6-8 hours in the field. My Glock I can just holster up, go fishing, go canoeing, go ATVing, hit up Walmart, go out to dinner, get some groceries, whatever. I can go anywhere and do anything while carrying as long as the building isn't Federal. That trumps the awesomeness of the boom stick.
dm
dm
November 4th, 2011 at 3:18:38 PM permalink
I never did the concealed weapon license deal, but I gathered that without having it I was still legal with that shotgun riding beside
me. Plus I know I can fend off several guys with that shotgun. I can't say I have much confidence in my pistol accuracy. I have a few
small pistols and I have shot them enough to know I can't shoot worth crap. I would not feel confident in defending myself against even a very few attackers with a pistol. I would rather have those 7 or 8 shots that almost can't miss, even against a bear.
Face
Administrator
Face
November 4th, 2011 at 3:44:19 PM permalink

I never did the concealed weapon license deal, but I gathered that without having it I was still legal with that shotgun riding beside
me.

Maybe...IN TEXAS lol. That would not fly in Soviet Russia NY. NY gun laws are brutal, like one step down from taking a gun across borders or on a plane. You can't carry loaded shotguns/rifles in a car or on a road. You can't have them in your house. All must be unloaded with actions open. In order to have a pistol, unloaded or not, you must have a lockable safe (not a "gun cabinet") that is a permanent fixture of your house, as in bolted to the floor or wall. If Brock Lesnar came to my house and said "evening, Face, I'm here to steal everything you own" but did not threaten my person and I shoot him, I go to jail. If someone breaks into my house and steals my pistol and commits a crime with it, I go to jail. If any of my shotguns or pistols hold more than 10 rounds, I get fined and lose equipment. Full auto? Fuhgetaboudit.

I would not feel confident in defending myself against even a very few attackers with a pistol. I would rather have those 7 or 8 shots that almost can't miss, even against a bear.

Just do what vert did and get the Governor. Shoots .45 ACP or a .410gauge shotgun round with 4 big pellets =D

Face
Administrator
Face
November 6th, 2011 at 3:48:33 PM permalink
Bah, I should've asked this when this post was still hot, but I'll give er a rip now and leave it to hope...

Is anyone familiar with where to get gun parts? I recently obtained my grandpappy's dispatcher pistol. It's a .22 short rifle, break action, 7 shot revolver he got for $1.25 in the '40's. The grip is an extension of the metal frame, and has a peice of plastic bolted on each side to give the grip it's shape and some meat to hold onto. The problem is, one of those plastic pieces was broken many years ago, leaving a sizable hole and making it awkward to hold. I'd have to check for more specific model info, but I don't remember it being anything familiar so I doubt it's a case of just contacting the company.

Does anyone have any idea of where I might start looking, outside of the typical E-bay/Craigslist option?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 6th, 2011 at 4:21:11 PM permalink
What about them orange plastic flare pistols they sell to yachtsmen?
(And the kit that is kept beneath the display case that lets those plastic flare guns fire shotgun cartridges?).

Laws? Its always better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!
vert1276
vert1276
November 6th, 2011 at 5:30:14 PM permalink

Bah, I should've asked this when this post was still hot, but I'll give er a rip now and leave it to hope...

Is anyone familiar with where to get gun parts? I recently obtained my grandpappy's dispatcher pistol. It's a .22 short rifle, break action, 7 shot revolver he got for $1.25 in the '40's. The grip is an extension of the metal frame, and has a peice of plastic bolted on each side to give the grip it's shape and some meat to hold onto. The problem is, one of those plastic pieces was broken many years ago, leaving a sizable hole and making it awkward to hold. I'd have to check for more specific model info, but I don't remember it being anything familiar so I doubt it's a case of just contacting the company.

Does anyone have any idea of where I might start looking, outside of the typical E-bay/Craigslist option?

Gunbroker.com
or
gunsamerica.com

If you know the maker and model, it can be found on one of those two sites......they have THOUSANDS of parts on there....every gun shop in the US lists on there.....

On a side note I bought another gun today!!......Was at the gun show....and when I saw I could not believe it....I have wanted one of these since I was 10 years old, and saw one in a magazine.....this has been a 24 year quest!!!!.....It is a Whitney Wolverine!....the company was only around from 1956 to 1958 and they only made about 13k of these pistols...and only 500 in nickel(the coolest looking one).....They are right out of the 50's were everything had to look futuristic.....and look like it was off the set of a cheezy space travel movie set!....When I saw it I almost fell over.....and start jumping up and down clapping like a little girl!(not my proudest moment)....The dealer knew that I was in love and would pay his price with no haggling :( oh well, I just had to have it.....I have never paid $1900 for a 22lr pistol before LMAO....but truthfully I would have paid twice that much, and not felt bad for a second....On man Im in love....and have been polishing it for about 45min now LOL

Face
Administrator
Face
November 6th, 2011 at 5:52:29 PM permalink

Gunbroker.com
or
gunsamerica.com

If you know the maker and model, it can be found on one of those two sites......they have THOUSANDS of parts on there....every gun shop in the US lists on there.....

Awesome, thanks so much. I didn't have a clue as to whether I'd ever see it whole again. Like I said, the make wasn't familiar to me (which is something, given my gun love) and I feared I'd never be able to fix it. Now I have hope!

On a side note I bought another gun today!!.....]

Dad? Is...is that you? ;) J/K of course, but you remind me of him. Everytime I see him he's got something new to fiddle around with, though nothing as strange as that Whitney. Gratz on your purchase!
  • Jump to: