dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:08:32 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Nice knife. $400 seems rather steep though. When I was a teenager I purchased an "automatic knife" in Tijuana, but the ejecting mechanism didn't last long. It probably would have only caused laughter in a knife fight anyway.

No one will EVER get a chance to laugh at my knife in no knife fight, you adventurous dude! In a knife fight worry about yourself crying and ignore what the opponent is doing.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:54:04 AM permalink
Quote: vert1276

This is my second gun I bought this week....my wife is PISSED lol.....I also just bought a Smith & Wesson.."GOVERNOR" lol....

Ha! You got the .410? I saw that and my first thought was that it was the most hilarious thing I'd even seen, followed by the second thought "I want one" ;) I think I can kind of understand that whole "once you get one tattoo, you just want more" mentality.

I don't blame you not owning a single action, they're not really versatile.You can't use em for carry and at $1 per shot it's not something I can afford for a day of plinking. I usually just break it out to behold it's majesty, maybe burn through a cylinder just to feel it again, and put it back to bed. Occasionally I'll hold the trigger and fan the hammer old west style, but the iron sight tears up my palm, and let's face it, it's a .44. The first shot usually blows a crater in the ground 15 feet in front of me, the second goes about where I was hoping, and the third goes up into the tree tops.

Quote: Doc

I have long thought about taking up pistol target shooting, but I think I would prefer an auto-loader to a revolver, perhaps in 9 mm or .45 cal. I have limited experience with such firearms, but the idea has lead me to ponder trying to sell the S&W revolver and direct the funds toward a target piece. I have never looked into it enough to really get serious.

Do it, Doc, it's a fantastic hobby. I would suggest a Glock. It's a little funny getting used to the weight if you grew up on big bore revolvers, but everything about them is near perfect. They come in just about any caliber you could want, they're high quality, they're probably #1 in ease of maintenance, and brand new you can pick one up for $600. Squeeze the gun, pull a little lever and it just falls apart for cleaning (there's only three parts you need to maintain). The majority of it is that composite/plastic stuff, so there's no pitting, rusting or corrosion, no wood to warp and crack. About the only thing I wouldn't give high marks on is use for hunting. Literally any other factor you could think of, I'd rate it high.

I'd also suggest the 9mm over the .45. The .45 is a LOT bigger in the grip since it has to fit the larger round, and it just feels funky. Also, the price of ammo is a good deal more for .45. It won't make a big difference if you rip 100 shots a year out of it, but the more you use it, the worse that difference becomes. A 9mm was too small for me (bought it primarily for bear protection) and the .45 too expensive to shoot, so I got a .40 (Model22 RTF). Just a tick more expensive for ammo but the same size gun as the 9mm. And even with the tactical grip, night sights, tax and registration, it only cost me $620. Can't beat that.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:40:41 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

Have been wanting one for years....it was on my "must have list"....came in the mail today....just went an picked it up....and have been drooling on it for a couple of hours....nothing like a 1970's Colt python 357 mag!

Time to grow a moustache and start solving murders!
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:19:54 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I have long thought about taking up pistol target shooting, but I think I would prefer an auto-loader to a revolver, perhaps in 9 mm or .45 cal. I have limited experience with such firearms, but the idea has lead me to ponder trying to sell the S&W revolver and direct the funds toward a target piece. I have never looked into it enough to really get serious.

I echo Face's encouragement Doc. It can be as hardcore a pursuit as you want it to be, with options only limited by your pocketbook. If you are looking into it, a great place to start is your local firing range. They probably have a variety of frame styles, materials and calibers for you to try, before you buy.

I would recommend the Colt 1911 "Gold Cup". It is ready for competition right out of the box, or you can customize it till your wife takes the credit card away... sigh...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:43:36 PM permalink
Nice 357. I'm a gun nut, and have many hand guns.
I had a 357 and sold it for a 44 magnum last year.
It has a long barrel and is a hand cannon that will
break your wrist if you don't handle it right. I don't
shoot it much, too damned expensive.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
November 2nd, 2011 at 2:35:51 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Nice 357. I'm a gun nut, and have many hand guns.
I had a 357 and sold it for a 44 magnum last year.
It has a long barrel and is a hand cannon that will
break your wrist if you don't handle it right. I don't
shoot it much, too damned expensive.

ya really the expense of shooting is the ammo...sure the gun is expensive...but its a one time expense.....spending $10-$20 for a box of just range ball ammo for 50 rounds is the expensive part....that is why a 22lr is just so dam popular....and almost every manufacturer at least make one or 2 different models of them.....becasue they are CHEAP to go throw some lead down range.....$20 for 500 rounds....fun for hours for $20.....I shoot a lot and have my own range on my property...and always have friends over shooting as well.....and go through maybe like 5k rounds a month......This is why I reload....and even cast most of my own bullets....Of course even with me reloading its an expensive hobby...but will me reloading it 3 or 5 cents a round(for hand gun calibers) rather than 30 or 50 cents a round.....if I bought ammo at the gun show/shop
dm
dm
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:40:07 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Oh, vert. /drool. I can feel those odd gears start to turn in the back of my head, the ones responsible for driving the "needless wants" machine. Got a purpose for that, or is it like so many of my "just cuz" purchases? ;)

This is one of the faves out of my arsenal, single action Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag. It doesn't have that old world allure to it, but it's just so big and brash. And the BOOM! it makes tends to make all lifes problems drop away, forgotten. It's too expensive to shoot, way too big for CCW, too heavy to carry for long hours, and since I no longer hunt, really has no purpose in my life anymore. But damn if I can even think about parting ways with it. There's just something about big revolvers...

It's a beast. I had it in my head that the cartridges were much bigger, say the diameter of a dime.
dm
dm
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:43:11 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

None of that is my thing, but those are absolutely beautiful machines, both the guns and the knives. I can understand the attraction.

Both great photos by the way, Vert I especially like that one, with the weathered box. (Photography is my kind of shooting.)

Yes, the box is cool and I'm guessing the gun is new condition.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 2nd, 2011 at 7:28:09 PM permalink
Quote: dm

It's a beast. I had it in my head that the cartridges were much bigger, say the diameter of a dime.

LOL! I couldn't imagine. That'd be up to shotgun slug territory. Talk about breaking wrists, it'd make the .44 feel like an airsoft pellet gun.

The Piefer Zeliska is the largest cartridge hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .600 caliber, or in other words, just a tad shy of anti-aircraft potential. I haven't ever seen one, but at $17,000 and $40 per round, I can see why.

The S&W Taurus is the baddest non-rare hand gun I know of. It's chambered in .500 and nowhere near multi-thousands of dollars, which makes me want it. But .500 isn't something offered at the local Walmart, nor would I want to see how much a box of 50 would go for, so it's still the trusty Glock .40 for me. ' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_500/MVC-768F.jpg]

The .44mag isn't badass so much because of the size of the bullet, but all that's behind it. If you stare top-down at the two rounds, .40 and a .44, you could probably see one being just a tick wider than the other. Stand em side-by-side though, and the .44 almost twice as tall. All that extra length is extra boom powder. Gotta love mags =)

I wanted a Colt .45 1911 so bad, but I got my license right before my trip to Vegas. In NY, you have 30 days from receiving your license to get a gun otherwise it gets voided, so I HAD to get one. I had to choose to either blow my whole wad on the 1911, or get a Glock and have some gambling money. Hand guns > hand pays.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 328
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:29:24 PM permalink
The .600 Nitro Express looks like fun.

nitroexpress
"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: