Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 23rd, 2011 at 5:40:13 AM permalink
Some US senators have introduced legislation to make the sale of fake maple syrup a felony.

Is this a ploy to invade Mexico? I mean, all the "maple syrup" you find in stores here is actually high fructose corn syrup with maple "flavoring." If it ever came close to a maple tree it was by accident. Now, surely this also affects the farmers in Vermont, not to mention Canada.

How about a similar law about vanilla? Most vanilla flavoring is actually alcohol that may once have been taken within a kilometer of a vanilla plant, plus a chemical called "vanillin."

BTW :P

Seriously, don't they have anything better to do with their time? Like napping, or watching a soccer match?

And, yes, this goes for other time wasters like "authentic" tequila or cognac.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
October 23rd, 2011 at 6:54:54 AM permalink
Apparently some people/companies are trying to pass of the fake stuff as real vermont maple syrup. It surprises me that isn't fraud by itself. The Canadian maple syrup is labeled 100% maple syrup, and I'm pretty sure you would be breaking a consumer or packaging law if it wasn't.

By the way, real maple syrup is so worth the 2-3x premium. Skip the cornstarch and put some liquid gold on your pancakes.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 7:20:30 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

Apparently some people/companies are trying to pass of the fake stuff as real vermont maple syrup. It surprises me that isn't fraud by itself. The Canadian maple syrup is labeled 100% maple syrup, and I'm pretty sure you would be breaking a consumer or packaging law if it wasn't.

Then the new law is redundant, isn't it?

Besides, how about some personal responsibility? I do read food packaging labels to see what's in it. Real maple syrup, for example, won't contain corn syrup or artificial maple flavoring.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:21:26 AM permalink
The other poster is correct, if it is called "maple syrup" is should be just that and subject to current labeling requirements.

Most of what you buy (Mrs Butterworth's, Aunt Jemima, etc) is just has "syrup" on the label. You may call it "maple" and the store may have a sign saying "maple" over the aisle, but the label on the package is what counts.

FWIW I prefer the fake stuff. The real stuff is too thin and too sweet for my tastes.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:49:12 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Some US senators have introduced legislation to make the sale of fake maple syrup illegal a felony.

Is this a ploy to invade Mexico? I mean, all the "maple syrup" you find in stores here is actually high fructose corn syrup with maple "flavoring." If it ever came close to a maple tree it was by accident. Now, surely this also affects the farmers in Vermont, not to mention Canada.

How about a similar law about vanilla? Most vanilla flavoring is actually alcohol that may once have been taken within a kilometer of a vanilla plant, plus a chemical called "vanillin."

BTW :P

Seriously, don't they have anything better to do with their time?

Yes, the nation's important business which they stay clear of lest they offend a campaign contributor. They are inviting all contributions or junket offers or cash from the maple syrup producers.

Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:53:46 AM permalink
Quote: dm

Yes, the nation's important business which they stay clear of lest they offend a campaign contributor. They are inviting all contributions or junket offers or cash from the maple syrup producers.

I guess that kills the Burger Fair Price Act :)
  • Jump to: