2 votes (20%)
2 votes (20%)
3 votes (30%)

10 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 19th, 2011 at 9:47:33 AM permalink
Has anyone noticed that President Obama has drastically reduced his international travel? His first year in office he was by far the most internationally traveled president in history, going on 10 separate trips to 21 different trips, to 31 cities (Copenhagen twice) along with a side trip to Africa.

Then in 2010 he went on 3 transoceanic civilian trips, 1 trip to Canada, and 2 times to Afghanistan for a military visit. Although his Asian trip was a very high profile ultra-expensive extravaganza.

Finally in 2011 he went on the obligatory 4 day trip to South America, but it was limited to Chile and Brazil. He stopped at El Salvador on the way home. He made a trip to France for the G8 Summit. He stopped in Ireland to visit a tiny town that his ancestor came from, and a quick trip to Buckingham Palace which seemed to be purely to make up for not being invited to the Royal wedding.

President Obama will be going to Cannes France for the G20 summit in 2 weeks, but I haven't heard that he will take advantage of the trip to visit other places in Europe.

In general he now has traveled less than either President's Clinton or Bush. Both former presidents made two lengthy trips apiece to Africa. You would think that Obama would go to Kenya as president.

Obama made only 2 trips to Mexico 2 trips to Canada. For Canada he made the customary new president first international trip (only an afternoon), and a second trip for the G8/G20 summits.

The number of obligatory summit meetings for head's of state seems to be increasing. From G-8, G-20, NATO, APEC, North American Leaders' Summit . The cost of flying the president overseas, and in particular to someplace other than Europe is astronomical.

We certainly have strong images of our Presidents overseas. Kennedy & Reagan in Berlin, Reagan speaking to Parliament and riding horses around Windsor Park with the Queen. Not surprisingly with the introduction of the modified 747's and international travel becoming more commonplace, the images are less vivid. It seemed as if Clinton (like any cheating husband) wanted to go to a State Dinner after the mess with Monica.

What do you think? Is the day of the famous presidential international visit over? Will Obama avoid the Presidential Grand Tour or will he wait and see if he is elected a second time?

In general a presidential trip is unbelievably expensive, since it requires a huge number of support planes, and sometimes well over a thousand people. Does it enhance the vision of America to the world? Do you think he should go to Greece?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
October 19th, 2011 at 11:20:15 AM permalink
He should go to Canada to see how a national healthcare system should be designed!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
October 19th, 2011 at 12:09:39 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

He should go to Canada to see how a national healthcare system should be designed!

He could save taxpayer money by just reading the Constitution. Ours, that is.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 217
October 20th, 2011 at 2:51:56 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

You mean the fee-for-service one that lets dogs and cats get fast MRI service? He surely doesn't want to see the one that lowers costs by driving people to the USA for care because they do not want to die waiting for simple procedures.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
October 20th, 2011 at 3:02:49 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

What do you think? Is the day of the famous presidential international visit over? Will Obama avoid the Presidential Grand Tour or will he wait and see if he is elected a second time?

Over? No way. Despite all the "we hate America" stuff you hear, most countries go all-out for a POTUS visit. For a small country it will be talked about for generations. It is a weird relationship. As Americans we may wonder why they even care. To them it is as if you saw Frank or Dean in the Sands back in the day and they actually took a minute even to ask you the time.

Quote:

In general a presidential trip is unbelievably expensive, since it requires a huge number of support planes, and sometimes well over a thousand people. Does it enhance the vision of America to the world? Do you think he should go to Greece?

I think it does. Not just so much because the POTUS came, but when all that support acts in a professional manner people see Americans are not as bad as they were led to believe.

I haven't paid attention to any POTUS's international travel, but would someone please tell this guy to stop visiting Pittsburgh? In three years I have had traffic tied up three times and sniper rifles pointed at me twice. Maybe if the PA Legislature splits the electoral votes as proposed he will visit some other swing state.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 20th, 2011 at 4:37:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I haven't paid attention to any POTUS's international travel, but would someone please tell this guy to stop visiting Pittsburgh? In three years I have had traffic tied up three times and sniper rifles pointed at me twice. Maybe if the PA Legislature splits the electoral votes as proposed he will visit some other swing state.

The International Presidential visits have been very brief this year. The visit to ancestral homeland of Obama's ancestor in Ireland mirrors the two highly successful previous visits of presidents to ancestral homes in Ireland.
June, 1963 John F Kennedy
June, 1984. Ronald Reagan
------------------------

19-Mar-2011 - Brasília and Rio de Janeiro: Met with President Dilma Rousseff. Visited the Cidade de Deus favela and the Christ the Redeemer statue.
21 Mar-2011 - Santiago: Met with President Sebastián Piñera of Chile
22 Mar-2011 - San Salvador: Met with President Mauricio Funes of El Salvador. Visited the San Salvador Cathedral.

23-May-2011 - Dublin, Moneygall Had meetings with President Mary McAleese of Ireland. Visited ancestral home in Moneygall, and addressed a large crowd in Dublin.
23-May-2011 - London, State visit, accompanied by the First Lady. Met with Prince William and his wife.
26-May-2011 - Deauville , France for 37th G8 summit
27-May-2011 - Warsaw, Met with President Bronisław Komorowski of Poland. Laid wreath at the Warsaw Ghetto Memorial and visited the memorial to the victims of the Smolensk plane crash.

It doesn't look like President Obama will add much to his visit to France in two weeks for the G20 summit, but he will be in Australia from November 16-17 after hosting the annual Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in his home state of Hawaii and will then travel to Bali for an East Asia, Summit.

====================
Dividing the PA electoral vote is about as likely to happen as the snowball in heck. The PA, OH, IN trio will probably determine the presidential election in 2012, so I think you should be prepared for the lions share of the multi billion dollar advertising campaign.

Also since the Republicans will most likely eliminate the 12th PA congressional district, the fight for the House in Western PA should be bruising as well.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
October 20th, 2011 at 5:01:28 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Dividing the PA electoral vote is about as likely to happen as the snowball in heck. The PA, OH, IN trio will probably determine the presidential election in 2012, so I think you should be prepared for the lions share of the multi billion dollar advertising campaign.

It is purely ploitical but has support by Gov and Legislature. If nothing else if it fails it hopefully derails all these end-run around the electoral college schemes where the states throw their support to the national winner.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 21st, 2011 at 9:14:31 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If nothing else if it fails it hopefully derails all these end-run around the electoral college schemes where the states throw their support to the national winner.

The idea of a national election will never fly, but there is nothing unconstitutional about coalitions. For instance a proposed foundry coalition might consist of the four battleground states with broadly similar makeup. In the 2010 census their cumulative population was 20% higher than CA, but by 2016 it should be about the same.

A winner take all for these four states would give them a clout equal to one of the "Big 4". The only one of the "Big 4" to have been in contention for a while has been Florida.

Foundry Coalition
Indiana
Michigan
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 225
October 21st, 2011 at 9:50:41 AM permalink
If he goes anyplace, a visit to Iraq or better, Afghanistan would be appropriate. I don't know about Libya, maybe a victory lap there?

I suspected his early globe hopping was to give his daughters the "Grand Tour" before they had to start at a new school with kids who were already experienced world travelers.
When I die, I want everyone who ever worked with me on a group project to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
October 21st, 2011 at 11:33:35 AM permalink
Duplicate Post
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez

• Jump to: