2 votes (14.28%)

14 members have voted

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 12th, 2011 at 8:29:24 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Its big money
hauling the oil from the wells to the refineries.

That isn't piped? Do you know if there's a reason that they truck it?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
October 12th, 2011 at 8:37:46 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

That isn't piped? Do you know if there's a reason that they truck it?

Because pipelines are extraordinarily expensive
and take years to lay.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 12th, 2011 at 8:40:25 PM permalink

Because pipelines are extraordinarily expensive
and take years to lay.

Fair point. I guess I just assumed that there were oil pipelines going to the refineries because there are natural gas gathering pipelines going to the processing plants leading into Williston Basin's system in MT and ND.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 12th, 2011 at 8:48:24 PM permalink

Fair point. I guess I just assumed that there were oil pipelines going to the refineries because there are natural gas gathering pipelines going to the processing plants leading into Williston Basin's system in MT and ND.

There aren't that many distilleries in this country.
I think the closest one is in Chicago. They haven't
built a new one since the 70's.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 12th, 2011 at 8:54:07 PM permalink

There aren't that many distilleries in this country.
I think the closest one is in Chicago. They haven't
built a new one since the 70's.

There's one in Mandan, and a handful in Montana. Those are all quite small. There's a very large refinery here in MN just south of Saint Paul. It's owned by Koch, doing business as Flint Hills Resources.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 12th, 2011 at 8:56:09 PM permalink
Minn is closer than Chicago, I'll bet thats where they go.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
October 13th, 2011 at 2:34:40 PM permalink

Well, two other things come into play on hauling oil/gas. Yes, oil will get piped in or by train. But the finished product then needs to go to all those individual gas stations. Second, ehtanol cannot travel via pipeline as it picks up water like a magnet.

I tried truck driving, couldn't handle the driving part. But the people applying, well, some were lumps like you would not believe. An intelligent 10-20% but just as many that I wondered how they remembered to breathe. A shame because it is a good job you need some skill to do. But the OTR part is a killer for some. One guy quit working for me and came back (or tried to) as his wife was POed because he was on the road 1 or two nights a week. he had a route, got it as a new hire. Told her, "honey, this is how it will be, izzit OK for me to take the job?" Sure enough, just 2-3 months later she gave him hell for being away so much. He went back to a job paying less.

We have a shortage of workers for many skilled jobs in the USA. What I wish we could do is pair up the "we will even train the right person" with people with the qualifications. First step is probably geting rid of the 99 weeks of paid vacation we give people not to work now and get it back to the traditional 26.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2011 at 4:58:12 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Sure enough, just 2-3 months later she gave him hell for being away so much. He went back to a job paying less.

My brother says the drivers are always bitching about
how much they're wive complain about them being
away from home. My brothers home about 6-7
days a month, but he's not married. The wives have
no problem spending the money, thats the drivers
biggest complaint. Its all direct deposit now, they never
see any of the good money they make.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 13th, 2011 at 6:12:24 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Well, two other things come into play on hauling oil/gas. Yes, oil will get piped in or by train. But the finished product then needs to go to all those individual gas stations. Second, ehtanol cannot travel via pipeline as it picks up water like a magnet.

Good points. As I understand it, both the ethanol and the proprietary additives (Chevron's Techron, et al) are blended in at the station. I was just surprised to hear that the production area in ND didn't have a set of gathering system pipes for oil like it does for natural gas. I guess the fact that the oil refining facilities are so much farther away probably changes the economics. Plus, oil doesn't just mix into the air if it isn't contained, I suppose.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
October 13th, 2011 at 6:20:07 PM permalink

Good points. As I understand it, both the ethanol and the proprietary additives (Chevron's Techron, et al) are blended in at the station. I was just surprised to hear that the production area in ND didn't have a set of gathering system pipes for oil like it does for natural gas. I guess the fact that the oil refining facilities are so much farther away probably changes the economics. Plus, oil doesn't just mix into the air if it isn't contained, I suppose.

I have heard the additives are mixed at the station, and in fact the same refinery might send a load to ExxonMobil and BP on the same day, same stuff until the additives go in. The ethanol I don't know, but I do remember a station in AZ (and other places for that matter) dropping the price the last few days before winter/summer blend change. Refineries might add ethanol at the refinery because you always hear about how they run short around the switch of blends.

I think that there are several pipelines going to regional terminals. A big one from LA to the northeast and one from CA to AZ to name two, the later once had to close shortly and caused spot shortages in AZ. ND might still be remote enough that rail makes more sense.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing

• Jump to: