Poll

5 votes (35.71%)
4 votes (28.57%)
3 votes (21.42%)
2 votes (14.28%)

14 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11126
October 12th, 2011 at 6:26:51 PM permalink
I'm wondering what the real deal is on the economy. I know people in what you would call "leading" industries and they are fairly busy if not very busy. Heck, one is so busy they are actually worried their customers (steel manufacturers) are filling their supply chain and a fall will come. In the last week I received 2 unsolicited calls from recruiters and I have not sent a resume out in 6 months, not even cursory looking. A friend said he got three recruiter calls, though he was on the market the past few months.

But there are still reports that total employment has barely budged, with only just over 1,000 new jobs per state last month after taking out the Verizon strike.

So, what is the opinion of the economy where you are? On the ground, not in the news only.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
October 12th, 2011 at 6:33:32 PM permalink
You have it right there in the first sentence... The leading American industries are doing well by all accounts. It's the stuff on the edges which can overseas that isn't going so well....

Up here, things are rocking along in the IT world... I also keep getting recruiters want me for jobs I'm well qualified for, but have no interest in pursuing as my current role exceeds expectations.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6945
October 12th, 2011 at 6:36:21 PM permalink
Here in Minneapolis, people are upbeat, and most local businesses are rebounding very well. 3m, Target, and Cargill are ramping up hiring, and are recruiting like crazy at my school. But Best buy is facing a hell of a structural shift, and Ford is following through on a long-planned plant closure. The BB and Ford issues would have occurred in any economy, and the net is still trending to recovery locally.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11126
October 12th, 2011 at 7:01:03 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Here in Minneapolis, people are upbeat, and most local businesses are rebounding very well. 3m, Target, and Cargill are ramping up hiring, and are recruiting like crazy at my school. But Best buy is facing a hell of a structural shift, and Ford is following through on a long-planned plant closure. The BB and Ford issues would have occurred in any economy, and the net is still trending to recovery locally.



Best Buy has become the showroom for amazon.com. I prefer BB as in most cases it is easier than waiting. But I cannot stand the nonsense with the extended warranty sales. One salesman actually was rude saying "I know you don't want to buy extra stuff, but" after I told him "NO" to any additional warranties. (My mother was thinking about it.) Then when we got home we noticed he put a service plan on anyhow! I understand these things are super-profit for BB and they are where the salesperson turns from a minimum-wage lump to earning real cash, but enough already. Stuff does not break like it used to.

I have heard several places that the unemployment rate for college grads is 4.5%?
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
Joined: Mar 8, 2011
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 5328
October 12th, 2011 at 7:06:47 PM permalink
Unemployment exceeds 10% in Grand junction, Colorado. Many have left town for jobs elsewhere. Rents are up and medical care is pitiful!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6945
October 12th, 2011 at 7:18:03 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Best Buy has become the showroom for amazon.com. I prefer BB as in most cases it is easier than waiting. But I cannot stand the nonsense with the extended warranty sales. One salesman actually was rude saying "I know you don't want to buy extra stuff, but" after I told him "NO" to any additional warranties. (My mother was thinking about it.) Then when we got home we noticed he put a service plan on anyhow! I understand these things are super-profit for BB and they are where the salesperson turns from a minimum-wage lump to earning real cash, but enough already. Stuff does not break like it used to.

I have heard several places that the unemployment rate for college grads is 4.5%?



BB pays about $10/hr base, but the warranty sales are the only commissioned sales for most employees.

I'm with you on not waiting, plus I get to support a (giant) local company by buying in-store.

As a rule of thumb, the unemployment rate for college grads is half the total unemployment rate. So 4.5% should be pretty close.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 421
  • Posts: 23412
October 12th, 2011 at 7:23:17 PM permalink
My brother drives a semi for one of the three
largest companies in the country. He tells me
they're desperate for over the road drivers and
can't find them. There are 10's of thousands
of truck driving jobs, and nobody is stepping
up. These are 45k to 60k jobs and nobody
wants them. They don't want to be away from
their families and their benefits haven't run out
yet. On the lower end, where the uneducated
stupid people dwell, there are no jobs. A local
gas station needed a worker for 2nd shift and
put an ad in the paper. It came out Sunday and
by Tue afternoon he had to cut off the applications
at 50. He said 3 years ago nobody would have
applied. Of the 50 who applied, maybe 10 of
them were hireable, he said. The rest either
had zero experience, a horrible credit rating,
or were ding dongs. And yes, all potential
employers look at your credit now, even gas
stations.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1098
October 12th, 2011 at 7:44:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My brother drives a semi for one of the three
largest companies in the country. He tells me
they're desperate for over the road drivers and
can't find them. There are 10's of thousands
of truck driving jobs, and nobody is stepping
up. These are 45k to 60k jobs and nobody
wants them.


I knew a guy who went to truck driver school. I thought those guys get paid about 30 cents per mile, and they have to buy their own rigs and pay for their own gas. With rising gas prices and $200,000 for a truck, is it sooooo surprising?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 421
  • Posts: 23412
October 12th, 2011 at 7:47:23 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

With rising gas prices and $200,000 for a truck, is it sooooo surprising?



The gas crisis in 2008 put thousands of independents
out of business and the big firms got the business. Now
they need drivers. In North Dakota they are screaming
for drivers with hazmat drivers licenses. Its big money
hauling the oil from the wells to the refineries.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Face
Administrator
Face
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4399
October 12th, 2011 at 8:12:28 PM permalink
Buffalo area here. I'm in the casino biz, and we're still open. I'm definately not to the point of hitting the want-ads because of worry, but attendance is sure down. We used to get 15-20 buses from neighboring states, now we get 2-3, if any at all.

My cousin's in the pool-biz. He's from working 14hrs a day, 6 days a week, 8 months a year down to actually being home sometimes. I think they even expanded into light landscaping just to give themselves more options for work.

Got a buddy in IT. Seems stable and always has a project to do. I don't think he's worried a bit.

Most of my family are State employees. Big shuffling going on there, a lot of reconfiguring due to State budget problems. Cutting OT, cutting FT positions, a reorginization of houses, they're all either worried or pissed right off.

I see a lot more vacant buildings too. I wouldn't say it's ghost-town-ish, but in the past a business would move and another would fill it in. Now it seems a place goes out of business and the building sits for at least a year plus. Not doomsday, but a sign of the times.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

  • Jump to: