No votes (0%)
9 votes (75%)
3 votes (25%)

12 members have voted

Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
October 8th, 2011 at 7:33:47 AM permalink
How about paper size(s). Is the US the only country that uses 8.5x11(letter), 8.5x14(legal) and 11x17, where as others use A4(kind of a cross between letter and legal size) and A3, which is close to 11x17? There may be other sizes, but those I mentioned I'm most familiar with.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 8th, 2011 at 8:00:54 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

WILL THE USA EVER GO METRIC ???

Back in the '70s, I taught a physics class during which I posed the question, "What year, if ever, will all legal weights and measures in the United States be based on the Metric or International system of units?"

I can't remember exactly the answer I gave back then, but I think the year was in the 1800s. Somebody else can research the answer I have forgotten. No, we don't always express weights and measures in metric system terms, but the legal units have been specifically based on that system for a very long time; e.g., 1 inch is defined as 0.0254 meters.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1374
October 8th, 2011 at 8:15:51 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

The USA is the only major country that has retained a non-metric system (the other two countries are Liberia and Burma).

I'm pretty sure when I went to Australia distances were indicated in miles. Don't they also use miles in Britain as well?

For what it is worth (exactly zero), I would support a cold turkey change to the metric system in the US.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 8th, 2011 at 9:04:51 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

For what it is worth (exactly zero), I would support a cold turkey change to the metric system in the US.

What!!!! I don't want to get only ten eggs to the carton -- I might go hungry.

And a cowboy would feel absolutely ridiculous buying a 37.854 liter hat.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1374
October 8th, 2011 at 9:38:21 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

The private sector should be allowed to do what they want. However, the government should completely switch to the metric system. I think the rest of us will follow along, albeit kicking and screaming the entire way. Actually, I would enjoy watching the agony.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 8th, 2011 at 10:29:23 AM permalink
Quote: Alan

How about paper size(s). Is the US the only country that uses 8.5x11(letter), 8.5x14(legal) and 11x17, where as others use A4(kind of a cross between letter and legal size) and A3, which is close to 11x17?

We use paper and legal for 99.999% of all business printing. Only we call if carta y oficio. Paper is sold under those names, with the measurements given in inches. The sizes are also given in centimeters, but I've no idea what it comes out to.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 8th, 2011 at 10:31:34 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

A dozen is not a British unit of measure. Is there any country where eggs are sold ten to a carton? In Mexico egg cartons are 12, 18 and 24 pieces.

Quote:

Well, he could buy a less ridiculous hat to begin with :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 8th, 2011 at 10:36:47 AM permalink
Sigh. Agreed that the US should go metric.

And earlier on:

in America,
a cup is 8 ounces. A pint is 16 ounces. A quart is 2 pints. A gallon is 4 quarts or 128 ounces. There are 3.7854 wet liters in a gallon.

In Canada (and Great Britain), they use the imperial system
a cup is 8 ounces. A pint is 20 IMPERIAL fluid ounces. A Quart is 2 pints. A gallon is 4 quarts. A gallon of water contains 4.546.09 liters

This enables the Canadian auto manufacturers claim 20% more mpg on their cars than on the american counterparts, because a gallon in Canada contains 20% more energy.

Special.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 8th, 2011 at 10:52:06 AM permalink
Well, which Canadian car manufacturers ate those? It's all American and Japanese companies...

Canada uses american sized paper. The UK still uses miles for road distances and speeds, and pounds, feet and inches are still used for body measurements... I still think in stones and pounds for weight. Lumber is still sold as two by four, even when marked as 49 x 98mm.... My mum still cooks in pounds and ounces (measuring by volume is unusual, so the US cup system is rather odd to British housewives) but following a recipe in grams and litres isn't a problem.

So the UK is still sort of imperial, sort if metric....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 8th, 2011 at 1:16:28 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Car engines have been quoted in liters for 30+ years now. Or is it "litres." Anyone on the board know why this is?

Import/export and motorsports is my assumption. If you're going to sell your product to the world, and the world sees size in a different way than you (litres vs cubic inches), it'd behoove you to cater to them. And motorsport is very specific. A "350", depending on the make, is actually anywhere between 348 cu/in to 355 cu/in. That can make a hp difference of up to double digits, which is a big deal. On the other hand, a 5L is a 5L is a 5L.

That reminds me of another reason I wish we'd switch. It's just more acurate, more precise. Why else would tolerences be measured in fractions of meters? Our stuff seems to be made of a jumble of english and metric pieces, depending on where they were made. If all you have is english tools, you strip the hell out of the metric bolts. Ah, but if you have a metric set, you're good to go for both of them. Metric wins.

Just switch it. We're America. We'll bitch and cry and threaten to tear down the world....and in 5 months we'll have forgotten all about it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: