11 votes (45.83%)
3 votes (12.5%)

24 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 12th, 2011 at 5:09:04 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

Don't forget that it would require a constitutional amendment to get rid of the USPS

Not really. Congress could just refuse to fund it in the budget.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
September 12th, 2011 at 5:58:26 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The vast majority are privately owned and leased by the gov. Its
a very bad way to do business. By now they would own all the
land and buildings and be paying no rent. Instead they pay
rent up the wazoo and it takes away from profits. Henry Ford
owned every company that supplied material for his cars. Lumber
mills, rubber plantations, steel mills. He made a profit every step
of the way, thats how real business men operate.

Quote:

And I am sure that the government would have been very efficient with the manintenance and upgrades to the buildings over the years and never spent a dime more than a private developer would have. The Post Office real estate department that would be created to manage all the buildings would be more efficient than any private corporation. ;)

Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
September 12th, 2011 at 6:23:20 PM permalink
Quote: heather

Quote: kenarman

Quote: heather

I'm kind of reminded of the talking heads who occasionally pop up in the newsmedia encouraging higher tobacco taxes by claiming that raising the price of cigarettes will make young people less likely to smoke. Never mind that the actual data on teenage smoking suggests that the percentage of young smokers increases as the price of cigarettes rises....

That statement doesn't pass my smell test and I would to see a link to the data. Canada has been increasing taxes like mad to discourage smoking and smoking rates including teenagers are at record lows.

Sure. In 1996-1997 (the last time that I lived in my current state), the local paper reported teenage smoking at 25% of high school students. Cigarettes at the time were just over a dollar a pack, or ten to twelve dollars a carton. Today, I'm back in the same city reading the same newspaper and the percentage of high school students that smoke is being reported at 33%. Cigarettes currently cost over five dollars a pack, or forty-five to sixty-five dollars a carton. That's more data right there than I've ever seen anyone offer in support of the "raising the price of cigarettes makes kids less likely to smoke" argument, which I consistently see advanced without even the slightest innuendo at data supporting.

Canadians might be better at propping up their arguments, for all I know, however. I don't read Canadian newsmedia.

Thanks for replying Heather. Those number are totally opposite of what is happening across Canada. British Columbia where I live is down to under 15%teenage smokers and none of the provinces are over 20%. A pack of cigarettes is around $8. All smoking is down a significant amount country wide.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
September 13th, 2011 at 11:50:13 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Not really. Congress could just refuse to fund it in the budget.

Oops I sit corrected. Art. 1 merely authorizes USPS, not requires it.

"The Congress shall have power...To establish Post Offices and post Roads"
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 13th, 2011 at 4:06:01 PM permalink
The post office cannot operate as a private businees operates because congress, in my opinion, micro manages it for political purposes. It does not have control over postage rates, for example.

Keep in mind, we are not talking a small business. The USPS is the second highest employer in the US. 1st is wal-mart.

Congress in 2006 passed a bill that required the USPS to establish and fund a program for health benefits for retirees. Congress required that the plan be funded so that it was viable for 75 years, and the funding was to be done in ten years. This requires the USPS to come up with $5.5 Billion per year over and above their operating costs. I understand that if this charge did not exist, the USPS is profitable. This is the first year that it could not make the payment out of funds available.

It is important to note that at the time of the bill in 2006, two of the biggest lobbyists for the bill were UPS and Fex Ex. I suspect it was known at the time that the USPS could not make the payments for the full ten years. Now the current talk of privatization is exactly what these two companies wanted and expected. Money talks in Washington.

• Jump to: