1 vote (20%)
1 vote (20%)
3 votes (60%)

5 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 10th, 2011 at 5:42:33 AM permalink
I believe that Peyton Manning will never play again in the NFL. One neck surgery is serious enough, but to need a repeat surgery after a failed one means things were either more serious or more complicated than they first thought. I believe there is a decent chance that he already has some minor nerve damage, as the media reports described continued weakness. This low level of 'weakness' might not be significant to normal life, but zipping a football 50 yards downfield is not normal. I do have a friend who had the same operation, and he was told not to play basketball for a full year. He has resumed playing and now seems OK. My guess is I'm the only one who will select #3.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 10th, 2011 at 5:53:42 AM permalink
By how much will the odds improve if he plays?
By how much will the odds fall if he does not play or even announces retirement?
Remember the NFL's pension and injury compensation system is a joke.
I know players are not supposed to gamble on games in which they play but does he have enough money to be able to afford any ethics?
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 10th, 2011 at 6:12:31 AM permalink
I voted he will play next year, but I vote he should never play again. He has tons and tons of money and a Superbowl win. I have no idea what would drive him to play again when the wrong hit could damage him permanently. He's probably already damaged permanently...
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 10th, 2011 at 7:52:18 AM permalink
The problem is partly the risk, but also a big part is the severely reduced mobility of the neck (and thus peripheral vision) that goes along with that surgery, the fusing of vertebrae. I vote that he's done. Even if he takes the field again, and he might, I say he'll never again be the qb he was, and he'll retire soon.
A falling knife has no handle.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 10th, 2011 at 9:13:06 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

He has resumed playing and now seems OK. My guess is I'm the only one who will select #3.

Too bad you dind't make it a bet....

What will happen with the Colts?

It was amazing they dind't have a decent backup lined up. They had to get Kerry Collins out of retirement, which reminds me of the Cowboys having also a former starting QB as backup. That's a good strategy, as far as it goes, since most older veterans are better than most rookies. Collins once was quite good with the Giants,a nd he did reasonably well in Tennesee. He has a great offense to work with, but it strikes me that in Indy Manning was more than the passer. He was the leader, too, as QBs often are.

My guess is they'll struggle, thank their lucky stars they're on a weak division wihtout any real rivals, and maybe make the playoffs.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
toastcmu
toastcmu
  • Threads: 17
September 10th, 2011 at 9:49:10 AM permalink
I voted for never play again - Cooper (Peyton's older brother) had a spinal condition which ended his football career, so I think there's gotta be some family history and genetics in play here. Now that he's had 3 surgeries, I can't envision how he'd ever get back to 100% - this gives the Colts the opportunity to show the critics that they can survive without one of their 3 players the team is based on, and as a Texans fan, I'd like to see them win the division this year, selifshly....

-B
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 10th, 2011 at 9:54:58 AM permalink
Maters, the Texans aren't weak this year, and if Manning is done, the Colts don't make playoffs. I'm not sure they make it this year even with Manning under centre.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: