NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
September 3rd, 2011 at 2:35:37 PM permalink
This is a thread for everyone to discuss Portland, I was getting annoyed with the Las Vegas living forum becoming a Portland forum, so here is the Portland one!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 3rd, 2011 at 2:46:55 PM permalink
White City

Among the media, academia and within planning circles, there’s a generally standing answer to the question of what cities are the best, the most progressive and best role models for small and mid-sized cities. The standard list includes Portland, Seattle, Austin, Minneapolis, and Denver.

In particular, Portland is held up as a paradigm, with its
  • urban growth boundary,
  • extensive transit system,
  • excellent cycling culture, and
  • a pro-density policy.

These cities are frequently contrasted with those of the Rust Belt and South, which are found wanting, often even by locals, as “cool” urban places.

But look closely at these exemplars and a curious fact emerges. If you take away the dominant Tier One cities like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles you will find that the “progressive” cities aren’t red or blue, but another color entirely: white.

In fact, not one of these “progressive” cities even reaches the national average for African American percentage population in its core county. Perhaps not progressiveness but whiteness is the defining characteristic of the group.

The progressive paragon of Portland is the whitest on the list, with an African American population less than half the national average. It is America's ultimate White City. The contrast with other, supposedly less advanced cities is stark.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
September 3rd, 2011 at 3:19:44 PM permalink
Thanks Paco - you have, once again, added another source for me to consider. I already spend too much time on this #@#@%$ computer!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 3rd, 2011 at 3:28:45 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The progressive paragon of Portland is the whitest on the list, with an African American population less than half the national average. It is America's ultimate White City.

Its the redneck hippie culture there, how many redneck hippie minority people are there.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 3rd, 2011 at 6:11:09 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

White City

Among the media, academia and within planning circles, there’s a generally standing answer to the question of what cities are the best, the most progressive and best role models for small and mid-sized cities. The standard list includes Portland, Seattle, Austin, Minneapolis, and Denver.

But look closely at these exemplars and a curious fact emerges. If you take away the dominant Tier One cities like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles you will find that the “progressive” cities aren’t red or blue, but another color entirely: white.

In fact, not one of these “progressive” cities even reaches the national average for African American percentage population in its core county. Perhaps not progressiveness but whiteness is the defining characteristic of the group.

The progressive paragon of Portland is the whitest on the list, with an African American population less than half the national average. It is America's ultimate White City. The contrast with other, supposedly less advanced cities is stark.

Uhhh ... and that's a BAD thing?

Portland has a pretty active albeit not large black community: they frequently make the evening news, disproportionately so its seems, but usually not for positive accomplishments.

Lots of gang related shootings, but typically in their 'hood, so nobody really cares too much about it.

It is what it is.
"What, me worry?"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 3rd, 2011 at 8:51:13 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Uhhh ... and that's a BAD thing?

Actually I posted the commentary without any judgement call whatsoever. Personally, I thought the writer was being a little strident. I also am not sure where he gets his statistics. From the 2010 census I found Portland to have 11.3% percentage of it's people black (concentrated in the Eastern half), which is only slightly less than the national average of 12.3%. It is certainly far more than City of San Diego 5.9% or the County of San Diego 5.1%. I consider San Diego to be the ultimate white city in America.

Portland is not a dominant black city because it has no reason to be. It's not a southern city, nor was it a city in the path of the "great migration" that brought former slaves to Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland and other large cities at the time.

Plus if you list the other things that Portland is building: bicycle culture; good public transport; and high density housing; you are listing the exact opposite goals to keep your community white.

San Diego has poor public transport, widely divided low density housing districts, lack of any discernible urban growth boundary other than state parks and a lot less bicycling than most people think because of the hills and vast distances. These characteristics keep San Diego property very high, and discourage racial diversification.
  • Jump to: