1 vote (12.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)
4 votes (50%)

8 members have voted

reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 17th, 2011 at 11:29:49 AM permalink
First came drying, then came came salt, then came canning, and then came artificial food additives.

Now there's bisin! This new super-preservative is intended to prevent spoilage in meat, eggs, milk, and fish. (Alas, vegetables and fruit will continue to rot.) The upside: you'll save money by never discarding leftover meat. The creepy part: it lasts for years.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
August 17th, 2011 at 11:43:18 AM permalink
Just 71 per cent of shoppers say they think about waste while buying food and try not to take home too much, the poll by LG Electronics found.

Just 71%? That seems like a lot more than I would estimate.

Honey do you want some (whatever)? Ummm, I don't know, how long does it last before it rots(or goes bad)?

I don't have these kind of discussions in the grocery store.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 17th, 2011 at 2:19:17 PM permalink
frozen meat, dairy, cold meats, etc can last forever if you freeze them.

Curious fact: sugar and honey never spoil. Both contain too much sugar to sustain bacteria.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 17th, 2011 at 3:21:05 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

frozen meat, dairy, cold meats, etc can last forever if you freeze them.

Curious fact: sugar and honey never spoil. Both contain too much sugar to sustain bacteria.

I remember reading an article about some people who decided to try the remains of some food in an archeological find that was sealed in jars. I don't remember from where it came from, or how long ago. It sounded like it might have been half as tasty as an old rice cake - was the impression I got.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: