Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 4th, 2011 at 7:49:09 AM permalink
Along the lines, naturally, of the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man"

So I'm just back from a two-day business trip to Guanajuato. Unlike previous trips, I had someone along: the newest co-worker in our department. Call him M. He was there mostly to learn what we do and how we go about it. Therefore I talked extensively about delivering samples, propposals, procedures and so on.

But we talked of other things as well. Turns out he lived in California for several years, and he's been to Vegas a few times. When the talk turned to Vegas, I said "I know a guy there," and went on to give him the basics about the Wizard. Now, M had never heard of him, but he was very impressed. What impressed him the most, however, was when I said "He began as an actuary for Social Security."

Actuarial work is of paramount importance to insurance, I know, and I appreciate that. But I've no idea what so impressed M about the fact that I know a (former) actuary. I mean, the work the Wizard's done on gambling, most definetely including this site and the Odds site, is much more interesting.

Other than missing my exit on the way back, which cost me 35 minutes in an awful traffic jam by Guadalupe Lake trying to get on the final highway home, that was the most interesting part of the whole trip.

So there you go: meet the Wizard and impress your friends and aquaintances :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 4th, 2011 at 10:25:36 AM permalink
Thanks for the story. Unfortunately, maybe one American in 100 knows what an actuary is. It definitely does not turn on the ladies at cocktail parties. At least two people in Mexico are impressed.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 4th, 2011 at 10:55:12 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for the story. Unfortunately, maybe one American in 100 knows what an actuary is. It definitely does not turn on the ladies at cocktail parties. At least two people in Mexico are impressed.

FWIW, M did know what an actuary is, which does put him ahead of at least 90% of the world's population.

If you want to turn heads, of both sexes, say "I know how to win at blackjack." Or, better yet, "I know how to win at roulette." :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: