1 vote (3.03%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (3.03%)

33 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 5th, 2011 at 9:14:53 PM permalink
I know that the term "greatest" is kind of broad. We might think of "John Malkovich" or "Liam Neeson" as talented movie actors. But they aren't the guys who have the "drawing power". Who do you think is the greatest star in movies?

There's no correct answer here, I am just curious what people think.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 5th, 2011 at 9:31:06 PM permalink
I voted Depp because I think he's awesome, but only because Samuel L Jackson wasn't listed. I don't care about "drawing power" or "film gross" or whatever, he's just the best dude I've ever seen on a TV.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 5th, 2011 at 9:40:52 PM permalink
Where's Al Pacino? He should be on that list above hacks like Tom Cruise. As should Di Caprio. I also think Mark Wahlberg will have a long long career, even if he hasn't quite got the high star power this list has.

... I take it back, Tom Cruise in a Few Good Men was very good.... he's not so good NOW I should say.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
July 5th, 2011 at 11:59:08 PM permalink
Even though he hasn't done a movie in many years currently I would say Arnold is the greatest. Who doesn't want another Terminator?
We will have to wait for the divorce before he signs but when he does it will be big.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 6th, 2011 at 12:53:14 AM permalink
Johnny Depp is da Man. Never seen him in a role I didn't like. I bet I've seen 9th Gate 10 times. Finding Neverland, From Hell, Sleepy Hollow, Chocolat, Ed Wood, Donnie Brasco, Alice in Wonderland. Jack Sparrow, of course. The man is a wonder, he makes it all look effortless. You can't pin him down, there are no Johnny Depp impressionists, he's always somebody different. Unlike Pacino and DeNiro, they mostly play themselves.. I don't see Clooney on the list, I don't like most of his movies. He's way too smug and arrogant, tho I did like O Brother Where Art Thou, I have it on disc.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 6th, 2011 at 1:32:41 AM permalink
Speaking of:

Quote:

Depp, known for his edgy roles and wacky on-screen personas, has been cast to play Tonto, the Native American sidekick to the Lone Ranger, in a forthcoming Hollywood version of the 1950s TV show.

Depp's Tonto, however, will be rather different from the original ally who stuck by his cowboy friend through thick and thin. Instead, his character looks set to be at the heart of the film and have the dominant role in its narrative.

Director Gore Verbinski is taking inspiration for the central relationship not from the dusty reels of the TV show, but from literary classic Don Quixote. In the new version, the Lone Ranger turns out to be a misguided fool and Tonto the voice of sanity, akin to Quixote's companion, Sancho Panza.

here
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 6th, 2011 at 1:50:06 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Speaking of:

Thats pure Johnny Depp. he always takes roles that are challenging, where he can stretch his talent. It was his idea to give Jack Sparrow a Gay manner, and Disney had a cow. Depp prevailed, and look how that turned out. We're witnessing an acting giant right in our lifetime, like our parents and grand parents witnessed Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne and Henry Fonda.

All the votes for DeNiro. I saw a movie last week called Jackie Brown that was great, it had DeNiro in a small part and he was great. I loved when he has impulse sex with Brigitte Fonda, standing up, and afterwards he says, 'Thanks, that really hit the spot.' Or when she's ragging on him and he just takes out a gun and shoots her dead. Great movie, Robert Forrester plays the coolest dude I've ever seen in a movie, nothing rattles him. And of course Samual Jackson is perfect as the black dude bad guy.
dlevinelaw
dlevinelaw
July 6th, 2011 at 4:55:45 AM permalink
Clint Eastwood?
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 6th, 2011 at 5:41:32 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Speaking of: link=http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/feb/20/johnny-depp-tonto-lone-ranger]here

Recasting the Lone Ranger and Tonto as Don Quixote and Sancho Panza has huge potential. This movie would mean that Johnny Depp has starred in 5 out of 6 films directed by Gore Verbinski.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 6th, 2011 at 5:47:04 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

There's no correct answer here, I am just curious what people think.

Sorry. I saw the heading and was utterly shocked to see males listed. I guess I've heard of some of them and maybe could recall some roles, but no vote from me on this. I wouldn't know who is more talented much less who is the better box office draw.

Often a star does well with a bad script. And these days I think most of them are bad scripts.

Here is what I know:

Tom Hanks Played Forrest Gump I think.
Tom Cruise Played in Top Gun, think he got decked by one punch from Val Kilmer over a Scientology versus Christian Science "debate".
Harrison Ford Played some adventurer, a DC cop whose cheating wife was killed in a plane crash, played in an utterly unrealistic life amongst the Amish versus Philadelphia cops movie.
Johnny Depp I think he directed a remake of The Promise by Friedrich Durrenmatt, I think he played in some prison movie too.
Will Smith Who??
Robert DeNiro Deer Hunter?, Godfather movies?
Bruce Willis Die Hard Trilogy? LA confidential?
Jack Nicholson As good as it gets, a few others, don't know which ones. Golfer??
Jim Carrey Plays poker. Don't know of any movies though.
Eddie Murphy Played "released" prisoner in 48Hours and played a cop in some Beverly Hills movie.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 6th, 2011 at 6:24:36 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Sorry. I saw the heading and was utterly shocked to see males listed. I guess I've heard of some of them and maybe could recall some roles, but no vote from me on this. I wouldn't know who is more talented much less who is the better box office draw.

I changed the title at the last minute, but I meant to restrict it to male actors.

I think Julie Roberts has over the last two decades been the most fiscally successful actress in movies. Her movies invariably make a profit, and she is more or less the creator of the genre of the R-rated fairy tale movie with "Pretty Women".

But with men it is different. Tom Hanks seems to be the last of the old time great Hollywood stars like Gary Cooper. He has no burning desire to play a psychotic. All of his characters are likeable men. As a romantic lead he is more of the understanding boyfriend type.

DeNiro can play an incredible range of characters. He can be a truly creepy psycho, a bumbling fool, a hero, a bum, or a comedian.

Jack Nicholson has created an almost unique personality. In some way his movie roles are always similar, but nobody else can play that character well.

Johnny Depp is almost unique. He has managed to move quirky and eccentric from the character role to the leading role.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
July 6th, 2011 at 7:41:38 AM permalink
I think greatest is a stretch for any of those guys listed; they're some good ones and there are some better one's. And not that the following are great either, but they're probably on par:

Nicholas Cage
John Travolta
Robin Williams
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 6th, 2011 at 9:58:55 AM permalink
Clearly, DeNiro is at the top of this list. Taxi Driver, The Godfather 2, The Mission, Meet the Parents... Serious to silly, unmatched range and quality. You could just watch the last half of "Raging Bull" and give it to him.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 6th, 2011 at 10:47:51 AM permalink
Why aren't Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford on the list? Both are great actors, AND master story-tellers in that both are directors and producers of some of the best movies in recent years. Both have been nominated for Oscars multiple times, and Eastwood has four wins for Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven alone.

Glad Pacino isn't there. That guy plays one role in every movie, no range at all. Ditto for Jim Carrey. Ditto for Robin Williams, though he did break away from his spastic persona for One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting which was good to see he had at least some range and wasn't completely stuck in the ADD Mork from Ork role forever. I like Nicolas Cage okay, but damn, he's picked some loser roles lately that were duds at the box office. And forget John Travolta. I wouldn't walk across the street to see him for free.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 6th, 2011 at 10:58:36 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Ditto for Robin Williams, though he did break away from his spastic persona for One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting which was good to see he had at least some range and wasn't completely stuck in the ADD Mork from Ork role forever.

And Dead Poets Society? The Fisher King? Good Morning, Vietnam? Awakenings?

I think he has had a fair number of non-comedy lead roles, though in Nam he adopted the manic personality for the on-the-air scenes as Cronauer.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 6th, 2011 at 12:04:55 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

And Dead Poets Society? The Fisher King? Good Morning, Vietnam? Awakenings?

I think he has had a fair number of non-comedy lead roles, though in Nam he adopted the manic personality for the on-the-air scenes as Cronauer.

Of those I saw Dead Poet's and Awakenings. In the former I'd say he plays a mild version of his usual role. but in Awakenings he does have a different role. Deniro actually has funnier moments than Williams in that movie.

So why wasn't Sean Connery listed?

Oh, for other actors with one-trick roles: Jack Nicholson and Jack Pallance.

And if you want to see an example fo range, check out Vincent D'Onofrio in Law and Order: Criminal Intent as Detective Goren, and contrast that to his role as the alien bug in Men In Black (the first one)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Alan
Alan
July 6th, 2011 at 12:32:21 PM permalink

Clint Eastwood

For sure this guy, between all westerns and the Dirty Harry movies, not to mention many others. He seems to always be kicking somebody's ass or killing them.

Linky to IMDb
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 6th, 2011 at 1:28:48 PM permalink

Why aren't Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford on the list? Both are great actors, AND master story-tellers in that both are directors and producers of some of the best movies in recent years.

For starters you can only put ten choices on the list. Both Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford have only acted in one movie in the last 6 years and Clint has announced that he only intends to direct from now on. Both men have made huge contributions behind the camera.

Robin Williams has an incredible body of work, but even he openly acknowledges that the films are wildly uneven in quality with a lot of outright turkeys.

Tom Hanks has starred in the movies that have made the most money (over $4 billion domestically) and also has the highest average per picture for someone with over 20 films.

Will Smith has 19 films and his average box office is higher than Tom Hanks. But he openly admits that he rarely looks at doing a film unless he thinks it will make money. He rarely has a broader agenda. The few exceptions have been Ali, The Legend of Bagger Vance, and Seven Pounds.

The highest average film gross overall goes to young actors who star in franchises like: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Orlando Bloom, Sam Worthington (Avatar), Robert Pattinson & Ashley Greene (vampire movies), and Mike Myers (Shrek and Austin Powers).
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 6th, 2011 at 1:59:11 PM permalink
Where are the chicks at?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
July 6th, 2011 at 2:10:31 PM permalink
If this is about box office appeal and star power, I'd think that Russell Crowe would belong near the top.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 6th, 2011 at 3:10:29 PM permalink

The few exceptions have been Ali, The Legend of Bagger Vance, and Seven Pounds.

All terrible, BTW.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 6th, 2011 at 3:16:37 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Tom Hanks Played Forrest Gump I think.
Tom Cruise Played in Top Gun, think he got decked by one punch from Val Kilmer over a Scientology versus Christian Science "debate".
Harrison Ford Played some adventurer, a DC cop whose cheating wife was killed in a plane crash, played in an utterly unrealistic life amongst the Amish versus Philadelphia cops movie.
Johnny Depp I think he directed a remake of The Promise by Friedrich Durrenmatt, I think he played in some prison movie too.
Will Smith Who??
Robert DeNiro Deer Hunter?, Godfather movies?
Bruce Willis Die Hard Trilogy? LA confidential?
Jack Nicholson As good as it gets, a few others, don't know which ones. Golfer??
Jim Carrey Plays poker. Don't know of any movies though.
Eddie Murphy Played "released" prisoner in 48Hours and played a cop in some Beverly Hills movie.

If this was 1995, you'd be right up to date. Which part did Bruce Willis play in LA Confidential? I just checked IMDB and currently Willis has 11 movies either in post production, filming, or in pre production. 3 of them are currently filming, can you imagine what his schedule is like? Or the money he makes?
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 6th, 2011 at 5:16:15 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

If this is about box office appeal and star power, I'd think that Russell Crowe would belong near the top.

There is an unofficial club of actors who have been paid $20 million dollars for a single film. It started with Jim Carrey being paid $20,000,000 for "The Cable Guy". It is recognized as a badge of distinction that says you are among the elite of movie stars. Although some people get percentages that make much more it is still a kind of cut-off. Daniel Radcliffe was paid that for each of the last two Harry Potter films. The other two co-stars received $15m apiece.
Russel Crowe, and dozens more have made the club.

The $20m club is based on your last pictures. Jim Carrey's 5 movies before "Cable Guy" had made over $600m domestically. It also means that the studio was taking big gambles. The "cable guy" only made $60m at the boxoffice. But Jim got the same paycheck for his next film anyway.

The Adventures of Pluto Nash was possibly one of the worst mishaps. Eddie Murphy was paid $20m out of the $100m production budget, and it took in $4.4m domestically and $3.7m internationally. It's possibly the only comedy you will ever see where you won't even smile.

For women I think there have been only 4 films with $20m paychecks:
Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich & The Mexican)
Cameron Diaz (Charlie's Angels II)
Angelina Jolie (Salt)

Sarah Jessica Parket got paid $15m for Sex and the City I, but I don't know what she was paid for the sequal.

I didn't put Russel Crowe on the list, because he has only been making mega hits for the last 11 years. Most of the actors on the list go back at least twice as long.

I did try and pick actors with a lot of time in. This list is the number of years since their first credited role in a movie released in a theater.
Jack Nicholson 52.9
Harrison Ford 43.7
Robert DeNiro 42.6
Tom Cruise 30.0
Eddie Murphy 28.6
Jim Carrey 28.2
Tom Hanks 27.3
Johnny Depp 26.6
Bruce Willis 24.4
Will Smith 18.8

Robert DeNiro and Tom Cruise are possibly unique in that they have never acted for television.

Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson did not have a TV series of their own, but they were a guest star many times as they got started.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
July 6th, 2011 at 6:39:36 PM permalink
For pure acting skills, I think you have to narrow it down to Hanks & DeNiro. From 1995-2005 Russell Crowe was putting up performance after performance that made you think maybe he'd be on the list one day. But he's sort of disappeared in recent years.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 7th, 2011 at 9:54:09 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Oh, for other actors with one-trick roles: Jack Nicholson and Jack Pallance.

This will be hard for Jack Pallance to overcome since he died in 2006. ;>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 7th, 2011 at 12:51:17 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

He was the perfect host for Ripley's Believe it or not, way overdramatic.

And for all that, he managed to win an Oscar....
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
July 7th, 2011 at 3:54:48 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

It must have been all those one-armed push ups.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 7th, 2011 at 4:38:38 PM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Even though he hasn't done a movie in many years currently I would say Arnold is the greatest. Who doesn't want another Terminator?
We will have to wait for the divorce before he signs but when he does it will be big.

It's going to be a lot tougher to remember all his lines now that he is older.
Quote: Great Dialogue

1) Nice night for a walk.
2) Nothing clean, right.
3) Your clothes, give them to me.
============================
4) The 12 gauge auto-loader.
5) The 45 long slide with laser sighting.
6) Phase plasma rifle in 40-watt range.
7) The Uzi 9mm.
8) All.
9) Wrong.
10) Sarah Connor?
11) I'm a friend of Sarah Connor. I was told that she's here.
12) Can I see her please? Where is she?
13) I'll be back.
14) F--k you, asshole.
15) Give me your address there.
16) Get out.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 7th, 2011 at 6:15:11 PM permalink
I went with DiNero. Cruise is great but his range of roles is limited. Bruce Willis is almost as good but DiNiro has been around longer. DiNero studies everything about a role he will play. Henry Hill stated Dinero called him during the birth of Hill's child to ask how Jimmy Burke would smoke a cigarette just to get the role right. Hill is a no good liar, but seeing Dinero I can believe it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 8th, 2011 at 2:15:05 AM permalink
Quote: Toes14

For pure acting skills, I think you have to narrow it down to Hanks & DeNiro. From 1995-2005 Russell Crowe was putting up performance after performance that made you think maybe he'd be on the list one day. But he's sort of disappeared in recent years.

Tom Hanks is possibly one of the most likable movie stars. His debut, Splash was a little like his TV character, but seemed more of a Ron Howard triumph to me. Then his movies (excepting Big), were a bunch of uneven mediocre comedies. Actors like Robin Williams were doing amazing movies like "Good Morning, Vietnam", "Dead Poets Society", "Awakenings", and "The Fisher King". Harrison Ford was doing the Indiana Jones sequels, and "Witness" and great comedies like "Working Girl" and tight thrillers like "Presumed Innocent".

Suddenly Tom Hanks went through a golden decade where he seemed unable to make a bad movie. Not only that but you could watch his movies multiple times. He made A League of Their Own, Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Toy Story, Saving Private Ryan, You've Got Mail, Toy Story 2, The Green Mile, Cast Away, Road to Perdition, and Catch Me If You Can. Only the experimental "That Thing You Do!" was a little odd.

Then, just as suddenly, his movies stopped being compelling, but merely pleasant. I know that "Da Vinci Code" was a huge hit, but I would never watch that movie a second time. It seemed like a pale imitation of the book.

The potential emotional level of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and his pairing with Sandra Bullock, may result in a return to his peak.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 11th, 2011 at 12:34:54 PM permalink
An all time First!
Tom Hank's 38 movies passed $4 billion, domestic gross today.

Tom Hanks is generally bigger in America than overseas. The big international movie stars are Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. However, given strong international showings of his Toy Story movies, and the two DaVinci Code films, "Forrest Gump" and "Saving Private Ryan" Tom Hank's movies have managed to take in an additional $4.2 billion in overseas markets.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 11th, 2011 at 1:12:37 PM permalink

Then, just as suddenly, his movies stopped being compelling, but merely pleasant. I know that "Da Vinci Code" was a huge hit, but I would never watch that movie a second time. It seemed like a pale imitation of the book.

The book is a piece of toss hammered out by a barely competent story teller rehashing vague myth in exposition that would make Frederick Forsyth blush. Hate to think what the movie was like... I refuse to give Dan Brown any more respect after the waste of my life that was the Da Vinci Code.

Tom Hanks' seems to have got safer and safer with his acting as time progresses. There's something a bit earnest about all his roles that has become tiresome. He needs to do something against type (not seen Road to perdition, so maybe that was it) to shake it up a bit.

Catch Me if You Can was another movie that for me showed that DiCaprio is going to go far (though he probably needs to move away from the brilliant odd-ball loner type).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 11th, 2011 at 2:11:18 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The book is a piece of toss hammered out by a barely competent story teller rehashing vague myth in exposition that would make Frederick Forsyth blush. Hate to think what the movie was like... I refuse to give Dan Brown any more respect after the waste of my life that was the Da Vinci Code.

Tom Hanks' seems to have got safer and safer with his acting as time progresses. There's something a bit earnest about all his roles that has become tiresome. He needs to do something against type (not seen Road to perdition, so maybe that was it) to shake it up a bit.

Catch Me if You Can was another movie that for me showed that DiCaprio is going to go far (though he probably needs to move away from the brilliant odd-ball loner type).

I think a lot of our 'adult' actors have not made very good movies in the last decade since animation and special effects have taken over.

The last really decent movie made by some of the top actors are:

1 Tom Hanks: Castaway 10.5 years
2 Eddie Murphy: Dreamgirls 4.5 year
3 Harrison Ford: Air Force One 14 years
4 Robin Williams: One Hour Photo 9 years
5 Johnny Depp: Neverland 6.5 years (debatable)
6 Morgan Freeman:The Dark Knight 3 years (debatable Invictus)
7 Tom Cruise: War of the Worlds 6 years
8 Samuel L. Jackson:The Red Violin 13 years {personally, I loved early Samuel Jackson, I am not crazy about successful Sam Jackson}
9 Cameron Diaz:What Happens in Vegas 3 years {not a great movie, but good Cameron Diaz}
10 Bruce Willis: The Sixth Sense 12 years {deteriorated into a parody of himself}
11 Robert DeNiro: Analyze This 12 years {I hate the Focker movies}
12 Julia Roberts: Erin Brockovich 11 years
13 Will Smith: very reliable
14 Jim Carrey: quasi reliable
15 John Travolta: Hairspray 4 years
16 Matt Damon: True Grit (less than 1 year)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 11th, 2011 at 4:17:18 PM permalink
Of this group, the older actors also compete for fewer and fewer good roles. Screen writers, producers, investors essentially have to focus on where the biggest money is coming from. Though some of these actors are in festival films that once in awhile have a mass appeal and provide a meaty part.

Matt Damon's generally got an advantage over older legends on what he can play and will attract audiences, though you wouldn't expect him to be scene stealing from DeNiro, Pacino, etc., even now.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
March 4th, 2012 at 11:40:10 PM permalink
Had to reply to this RIP poll

No Pacino? AYFKM?
IMHO this is a tossup Pacino or DeNiro and DeNiro got 11.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 5th, 2012 at 12:23:40 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Had to reply to this RIP poll
IMHO this is a tossup Pacino or DeNiro and DeNiro got 11.

DeNiro and Pacino are OK, Jack Nickolson gets my vote. He never
plays himself in a movie like Pacino and DeNiro do. I saw As Good As It
Gets again the other night and was reminded of how talented he is.
Wavy70
Wavy70
March 5th, 2012 at 12:25:30 AM permalink
A lil homophobia. You know a few women act.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 5th, 2012 at 5:48:33 AM permalink
Just watched "American Graffitti" again. Never gets old. Put in my vote for Bob Falfa, I mean Harrison Ford!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
DanMahowny
DanMahowny
  • Threads: 8
March 5th, 2012 at 6:01:32 AM permalink
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
"I don't have a gambling problem. I have a financial problem."
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
March 5th, 2012 at 6:21:16 AM permalink
I think the best gauge for the range, and how good an actor is, is if--and how well--they played a mentally or socially challenged roll. I can think of four big rolls off the top of my head:

Dustin Hoffman: Rainman
Tom Hanks: Forrest Gump
Leo DiCaprio: What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Sean Penn: I Am Sam

Penn was pretty good in that roll, but I don't think great. I also didn't think that movie was great, pretty boring actually, even though it brought up some interesting sociological questions.

Hanks was good, and I love that movie, but that wasn't a very believable person, not just for the accomplishments, but there were times when he seemed too "smart".

Hoffman's role was awesome. And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hoffman yet, because there's a lot of movies of his that I like. I really liked him in Hero, although I'm not sure if that was a blockbuster movie.

But DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape was my favorite. I think that's the all-time greatest portrayal of a mentally retarded person. I think DiCaprio was taken less seriously as an actor after Titanic, but I think he's really a pretty good actor.

P.S. One of my favorite movie lines ever is from Million Dollar Baby. When Maggie's mother finds out her daughter bought her a house, but all she does is complain about the extra property taxes she'll have to pay and say's: "Why'd you have to buy me a house" while flailing her hands. It was such a raw and realistic moment of a "normal poor Midwestern" (maybe she was actually Southern, I can't remember, it's been awhile since I've seen that movie)

P.P.S. I also liked D'Onofrio in Men in Black and Law and Order. He also had a great role in a small time movie called Happy Accidents with Morisa Tomei.

P.P.P.S. What do you guys think of comedy duos in movies. My vote is for Wilson and Vaughn in Wedding Crashers. I liked that movie immediately, and those two had great chemistry.
boymimbo
boymimbo
March 5th, 2012 at 6:38:20 AM permalink
Add Pacino for "Scent of a Woman".

My opines:

I'd go with EvenBob for Nicholson.
Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor, Leo is eye candy.
Penn is fantastic but his great roles are few and far between. I am Sam is one of my all time favorites.
DeNiro is up there too.
What about Clint?
What about Tom Cruise?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
March 5th, 2012 at 6:44:58 AM permalink
Oh and my roommate mentioned Billy Bob Thorton for Sling Blade for "mentally challenged" role (which I haven't seen). But I guess it would be difficult to say someone is an all-time great actor based on one roll, like Thorton or DiCaprio.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 30th, 2012 at 7:13:57 PM permalink
I've never seen Jack Nicholson in a bad movie till
I saw About Schmidt about an hour ago. He tried
his best to play the vapid, hopeless, clueless lead
character to the best of his ability, and even he
couldn't pull it off. He just looked weird. I kept
hoping he'd get hit by a truck and put us out of
our misery. I'm sure there are lots of men who
are 66 and have their heads shoved up their asses
like the Schmidt character. Thank god I don't know
any of them.

And we got to see fat 53 year old Kathy Bates in
a hot tub nude scene, something I need therapy
for so I can forget. What a truly appalling movie.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
March 30th, 2012 at 7:25:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I've never seen Jack Nicholson in a bad movie till I saw About Schmidt about an hour ago. He tried his best to play the vapid, hopeless, clueless lead character to the best of his ability, and even he couldn't pull it off. He just looked weird. I kept hoping he'd get hit by a truck and put us out of our misery. I'm sure there are lots of men who are 66 and have their heads shoved up their asses like the Schmidt character. Thank god I don't know any of them.

I have to disagree on this... I'm from Omaha (where the movie takes place) so I know I am biased. The movie is super boring and moves at a snails pace, but Nicholson nails the Midwestern man. In Omaha, at the time the movie was filmed, it was on the edge of becoming a decent city. Schmidt feels out of touch with his life, heck even the Woodman Tower (where his office is based), once the tallest structure in the state is now eclipsed by First National's tower.

Nicholson's performance was fantastic. Maybe not worthy of an Oscar (which he didn't win), but certainly worthy of being nominated and it really painted a good picture of Midwestern life.

Quote: EvenBob

And we got to see fat 53 year old Kathy Bates in a hot tub nude scene, something I need therapy for so I can forget. What a truly appalling movie.

Without a doubt, one of the most disturbing images in all of movie history. I will say, she did wear a fat suit for that scene, though it's still awful to see.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 30th, 2012 at 7:37:00 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

Nicholson's performance was fantastic.

I found Nicholson's character to be frightening. The
clueless, pathetic 'thing' that was Schmidt is so far
from who Nicholson really is, he had no idea how to
get him right. The Schmidt in the book was nothing
like he was in the movie. The edginess is gone, all