Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 27th, 2011 at 8:41:34 AM permalink
Assuming a WovCon ][ next year, this would take place then, most likely. if not, it will be when I'm in Vegas.

Here's the deal: I challenge anyone to match me on eating either 1) a very hot, as in spicy, dish at a Mexican, Hindu or Chinese restaurant (these being the ones I know that can provide such food), or 2) ingesting three whole, raw very hot peppers, like chile de árbol, habanero, güero or somethign along those lines (if they can be found in Vegas).

I am used to eating hot peppers in salsa or as used directly in preparing food, of course, but I don't have a particularly high tolerance for such things. If necessary, I'm willing to be tested on my ability to withstand hot food beforehand. If no fresh peppers can be found in vegas, I'm willing to bring along a can or jar of pickled güero peppers, or something hotter if I can find it (raw vegetables are not allowed through customs).
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 27th, 2011 at 9:03:02 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I don't have a particularly high tolerance for such things.

hmmm, not sure why you would do this then.

I have some experience with this, and suggest using scoville units as a guide to the challenge. In the northern virginia area, fresh habenero peppers are readily available, probably also in Vegas then, and believe me, plenty potent for any challenge for anybody. I would say no one should agree to eating something that is any kind enhanced-by-extract product. Naturally hot only.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
May 27th, 2011 at 9:28:36 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

hmmm, not sure why you would do this then.

The idea is to have a challenge, not a hustle :) If I had a high tolerance, it would be no contest at all, just a hustle and a fraud.

Quote:

I have some experience with this, and suggest using scoville units as a guide to the challenge.

If you want to referee, that would be fine with me.

BTW I've never eaten an entire raw pepper, but from time to time I've taken a bite of one.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 27th, 2011 at 10:17:56 AM permalink
This might be fun. Bhut Jolokia, or "Ghost Chile" is grown in New Mexico, so getting them in Vegas should not be too difficult. They are the world's hottest naturally grown chile, with some registering over 1 million Scoville units.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
May 27th, 2011 at 10:29:28 AM permalink
Make sure you bring lots of milk to the event! I heard ice cream bars are also good following a spicy food challenge.
Nareed
Nareed
May 27th, 2011 at 10:51:44 AM permalink
Quote: gambler

Make sure you bring lots of milk to the event! I heard ice cream bars are also good following a spicy food challenge.

Good point. we're far from setting down rules, but one shoudl be no milk, dairy products, ice cream etc during the contest. Water's ok, and completely useless against hot peppers.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 27th, 2011 at 12:33:54 PM permalink
In my bachelor days I could really eat some hot food and still really like my chili and ribs to be pretty spicey hot. Since getting married the chow has lightened up and I'm not used to what I could do before. It is the colon, you see, that can be the weak link [g]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
May 27th, 2011 at 1:08:05 PM permalink

In my bachelor days I could really eat some hot food and still really like my chili and ribs to be pretty spicey hot. Since getting married the chow has lightened up and I'm not used to what I could do before. It is the colon, you see, that can be the weak link [g]

I've found there are standards on how much heat people can stand. For example, I once ordered a "hot and spicy" pizza in cambridge, england back in the 80s. I detected not even a hint of anything remotely hot, nor any pepper flavor. Yet when my Belgian roomate tried a piece, his face turned red and he started to sweat.

That said, the average Mexican can stand a lot more than the average American. I say avergae because you get all kinds of people everywhere. I've known a handful of Mexicans who can't stand any chile at all, and a few Americans, plus one Dane, who can take a great deal.

BTW Mexicans find horseradish and wasabe hard to take, too. Not me, as horseradish is a common condiment in traditional Ashkenazi cooking. I can eat a sauce made of horseradish, beets and vinegar by the spoonful.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 27th, 2011 at 2:10:59 PM permalink

Hence the phrase, "So hot, it'll burn you twice"

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 28th, 2011 at 2:53:07 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

"So hot, it'll burn you twice"

Very good!

I think I'd need to swallow some of those wipes along with the chow, if I was to eat it as hot as I used to. Cramps when it hits the lower track can bowl me over and it is the worst of all the effects if you ask me.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
May 28th, 2011 at 9:08:35 AM permalink
I think I found the appropriate scale for the challenge
[This space is intentionally left blank]
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 28th, 2011 at 10:15:46 AM permalink
the trinidad scorpion: I challenge Nareed to a contest with this. Nareed has to go first and eat a whole pepper before it's my turn.

[heh heh since only a cinder is left I will win by default without having to eat one. Warning to Nareed: if you survive somehow and I am to eat one, you will win by default as I concede ... without even a bite]
Nareed
Nareed
May 28th, 2011 at 10:47:27 AM permalink
Find one and you're on :P
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 28th, 2011 at 11:01:53 AM permalink
we probably could eat one [after my period of training anyway]. Times when I was hopelessly knocked out of it involved extracts such as Dave's Insanity. He and others have even hotter ones. The thing is this is basically making a sauce out of something that is used to make pepper spray for self defense. These days I say it is dirty pool to include such in a contest, foolishness that could really hurt somebody.

Am I talking myself into a pepper eating contest with a Mexican? After a sanity check I'll get back to you on that.
Nareed
Nareed
May 28th, 2011 at 12:31:20 PM permalink

Am I talking myself into a pepper eating contest with a Mexican? After a sanity check I'll get back to you on that.

You definitely seem to be.

If it makes you feel any better, the last time I ate grilled quesadillas I found the salsa so hot, I had to eat the last one plain. On the other hand, I like a particular home made morita salsa so much, I eat it by itself with a spoon. So I don't know...
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 29th, 2011 at 11:42:49 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I challenge anyone to match me on eating either 1) a very hot, as in spicy, dish at a Mexican, Hindu or Chinese restaurant (these being the ones I know that can provide such food), or 2) ingesting three whole, raw very hot peppers, like chile de árbol, habanero, güero or somethign along those lines (if they can be found in Vegas).

After thinking about this, seems to me the challenge should be whether you can eat X amount of something, and not a "match" per se [there is no chance of me challenging you anyway, I should make clear] Bets could be made along the same lines as last, whereas no one knows me well enough [not too many you well enough] to be wagering on such a thing.
Nareed
Nareed
May 29th, 2011 at 12:07:06 PM permalink

After thinking about this, seems to me the challenge should be whether you can eat X amount of something, and not a "match" per se [there is no chance of me challenging you anyway, I should make clear] Bets could be made along the same lines as last, whereas no one knows me well enough [not too many you well enough] to be wagering on such a thing.

Well, not really. The point is intensity, not quantity. But almost anyone can eat one bite of a hot pepper. The real test is taking at least a second bite. Likewise with a really spicy dish. Taking one bite is possible. Eating the whole entree is a different matter.

If anyone wants a challenge consisting of eating 20 enchiladas, or 40 jalapeños, I'll watch with interest.
  • Jump to: