odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 25th, 2011 at 8:59:32 AM permalink
So I wanted to post this. Pretty darn interesting.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
May 25th, 2011 at 10:30:41 AM permalink
I just finished reading the book. Very interesting.

Thursday of last week, I was talking to a sister of a friend. She had just broken up with her boyfriend, and I asked why. She proceeded to tell me things about him that she didn't like about him. I listened politely, but didn't think much of it.

As I was reading the book, I started to realize that this ex of hers is a borderline psychopath. Not in the sense of him going out and killing people. But definitely his lack of empathy, short sightedness, and some of the other categories.

So, I found the book informative. And, I kind of like his writing style. I may check out his other two books.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
May 26th, 2011 at 12:03:45 PM permalink
There was a famous experiment done in the 60's I think where a (sane) psychiatrist got himself commited, then tried to get out. I studied it at college. Ill be damned if I can remember anything else about it now.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 26th, 2011 at 2:35:42 PM permalink
Sounds like the plot to "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" :) Except of course not a psychiatrist, but a petty convict.

I've heard Jon Ronson interview about "Tony" before... I think it was on a "This American Life" podcast. Very interesting story.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 28th, 2011 at 4:07:31 PM permalink
Wonder if we could set up an appointment for Jerry Singer...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: