Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 5th, 2011 at 4:19:43 PM permalink
While Jerry keeps digging, I'll ignore the sorry spectacle and focus on other things.

This thread derives from the Wizard's curious ommission of Hawaiian coffee from his WoO Hawaii vacation blog post. I've had Hawaiian coffee a few times and it's absolutely the bets I've come across. Now, I'm not a conoisseur or a purist. I just drink lots of coffee.

How much not apurist I am is proved by one simple admission: I have instant every day at home. Setting up the coffee amker and then washing it is just too much trouble early in the morning, therefore instant (Nescafe, which is as average as instant gets; Folger's is exotic down here, really).

Washing, now, is very important. Coffee is a curious substance: it never stops brewing in the presence of water. It brews easier with hot water, but give it time and it brews just as well (some people claim better) with cold water. So any residue left behind in the coffee maker will keep brewing every time you make coffee.

But it only brews well the first time. Brew coffee too long and it becomes foul and ever more bitter. That's why you only brew the grounds once. That's also why when you let it stand too long on a hot plate it gets bitter: residual solids that amke it past the filter keep brewing.

So, the first lesson for making good coffee is : clean the equipment well.

I preffer a drip coffee maker, but all other methods (french press, percolator, cold brewing, etc) are just as good. As long as you keep everyhitng clean after each use.

Each day the first thing I do at the office is set up the coffee maker. it's a dual purpose Krups drip and espresso setup. It also steams milk for capuccino. I rarely make use of milk, but I make espresso a few times a month.

Well, more, much more, later.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 5:04:24 PM permalink
The second lesson is to get good quality coffee. Overall this will be any coffee sold for a reasonable price at the local supermarket. Premium coffees, gourmet coffees, etc, are also good, but usually not worth the extra money. but do try them if you want to. One tip, if you frequent a palce that sells made coffee (like Starbucks) and like their coffee, see if they sell grounds or whole beans. Many such places do.

This is too easy for me because Mexico produces some good quality, high altitude coffee. If you get Mexican beans or grounds, amke sure they come from either Veracruz, Chiapas or Oaxaca. These are tropical, mountainous regions, perfect for growing good coffee. Specific local brands I can endorse are Internacional, Garat, La Finca, Blason and Punta Del Cielo.

Sometimes I'll buy Kirkland brand Colombian coffee at Costco. It's good enough, but far from a really good Colombian blend. I've also tried Hawaiian a few times. I can recommend the Kona sold at ABC stores in Vegas, but be warned the grounds are dark and strong. I brew a smaller amount of grounds when using that, and invariably I add cream.

In Mexico another great place for getting good coffee are small, independent grinders. Usually they also sell made coffee, mostly regular though sometimes they'll ahve espresso, but their main business is selling whole and ground coffee beans. They won't necessarily ahve the same kinds twice running, but it's good coffee 99% of the time.

Above all buy beans or grounds you like. if you like it with added falvors, by all means get it that way. Coffee mixes well with many other flavors, after all. I sometimes add vanilla extract to mine (natural extract, mind, not artificial vanilla flavoring). Further proof I'm no purist.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 5th, 2011 at 5:35:01 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I have instant every day at home.

Your shameful secret is safe with us.

Beans? High quality beans are of little use to major roasters. Major brands want a consistent product and wouldn't know what to do with a small quantity of excellent beans, only a smaller firm will want to buy really top quality beans.

Clean equipment. Yes indeed. However, if I wanted to spend all the time cleaning the darn thing, I'd sterilize some glassware and make wine or beer and get a better reward for the same amount of effort. Why steam clean your coffee maker, use the steam to brew the coffee. (Particularly use steam to brew tea).

Its just that most people don't have time for all this mixing and measuring, they want a cup of coffee and they want it now. Hence the popularity of these no mess instant-brew Keurig coffee One-Serving cups.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 5th, 2011 at 7:08:27 PM permalink
I used to buy Kona direct from either Greenwell Farms or Hualalai Estate (a consortium of farms). I love Kona coffee, but there are so many other variations of flavor in the world, and I love different types at different times.

Now I order from Sweet Maria's. Although they specialize in unroasted beans, they do roasted pairings every two weeks. This upcoming pairing, May 18th, will be Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazu and Guatemala Huehuetenango -Finca La Providencia Dos. At $33 for the two pounds, including shipping, it is about half the price of Kona and always just as good. Different, but just as good. What's fun is drinking something like Dominican coffee for 3-4 days, then Ethiopian. The Ethiopian tastes odd (not bad, just unusual), then I get used to it and understand it, then a few days later the Dominican tastes odd.

Another great online house is J Martinez & Co. The variety is great, the prices are fair (boutique coffee prices are currently skyrocketing) and service is excellent.

Regarding the quality and handling: at all of the sources linked, the beans are roasted to order and packed in one-way vented bags to "gas out" during shipping. This makes a difference. Fresh beans are flavorful beans!
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 5th, 2011 at 7:17:30 PM permalink

I can recommend the Kona sold at ABC stores in Vegas, but be warned the grounds are dark and strong.

Not all dark roasts are mediocre beans, but mediocre beans are often dark or French roasted, to cover their flaws. I like a nice bitter cup as much as the next guy. But the really great stuff is almost always roasted to medium.

(I'm not an expert, I'm not a coffee mkl. But a lot of information comes from these people, who are experts, and you can read the information and taste the coffee, and learn the differences. It's fun, if you're into that stuff [and boring if you're not I suppose].)
A falling knife has no handle.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 7:57:44 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Not all dark roasts are mediocre beans, but mediocre beans are often dark or French roasted, to cover their flaws.

I know. But when coffee is roasted too dark it usually tastes burnt. The ABC brand doesn't. Ultimately I go with what I like.

I do have one iron-clad rule: never pour milk into coffee. Instead you pour coffee into milk. I've no idea why this works, but it does.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 5th, 2011 at 8:41:16 PM permalink
Quote: arcimedes

ABC's Kona coffee is a blend and is not the real thing.

That's true of pretty much all "kona" sold on the mainland. Doesn't mean it isn't yummy...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 8:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

That's true of pretty much all "kona" sold on the mainland. Doesn't mean it isn't yummy...

The package, which right now is next to me, claims to be "Pure" and "100% Kona Coffee." It's a small gold packet, 7 oz (198 grams). At the store I noticed a white package which did indicate it was a blend.

Now, I don't know mine is 100% Kona despite the label and sticker that says so, but it's very good.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 9:14:09 PM permalink
Recipe time.

Coffee, as noted before, mixes well with other flavors. It also works in a variety of textures and temperatures. Hot coffee is great, but so is frozen, frappe coffee. I like coffee ice cream, too, and coffee flavored deserts. I even developed my own coffee gelatin. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

2 measuring spoons of ground coffee (the standard spoon that comes in coffee packages or with coffee makers)
1 cup of hot water
1 cup of milk (I use skim milk or low-fat evaporated milk, but any kind works)
1 packet of unflavored gelatin (7 grams)
4 teaspoons of granulated sugar substitute, or real sugar if you prefer (four packets of Splenda work as well)
Vanilla extract to taste (I use one drop)

First brew the coffee with the cup of hot water. Any method works. I've a one-cup cone that takes in a filter, but french press is also good. Just make sure to filter out all coffee solids. While the coffee brews, start heating up the milk.

When the milk's hot (not boiling), begin to dissolve the gelatin. This takes time, and some brands of gelatin need to be hydrated first. Over time I've learned to add it in little bits and keep stirring. even so it won't all dissolve soon.

When enough gelatin's dissolved, add the brewed coffee and Splenda or sugar to the mix. Maintain at a low heat and keep stirring. You can add the vanilla now, if you like, or leave it off. Don't let the mix boil, stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved.

Let it cool, then pour into molds. It should be enough for four servings. Place the molds int he fridge and let the mix solidify.

You can also add a little, but only a little, coffee liquor like Khalua. Or you may add it once the dessert is served.

I've experimented adding Hershey's baker's cocoa to make it mocha gelatin, but haven't hit the right proportions yet.

Next I want to do a yogurt-based coffee dessert. I'm thinking about it.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 5th, 2011 at 9:27:52 PM permalink

Next I want to do a yogurt-based coffee dessert. I'm thinking about it.

I'll try your gelatin soon. Yogurt & coffee works lots of ways:
(just blend to taste, all coffee chilled)
Vanilla yogurt and strong black coffee
Plain yogurt and sweetened coffee
Chocolate yogurt and espresso

It gets pretty runny, so I suggest either adding an emulsifier or serving as a dip for some sort of dessert bread.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 9:47:01 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I'll try your gelatin soon.

Let me know how it goes. Thus far the only other person to like mine was the other coffee addict at the office. The rest want more conventional flavors <sigh>

Quote:

Yogurt & coffee works lots of ways:

I tried mixing instant coffee with plain, low-fat yogurt and that worked out pretty well. Right now I'm pondering some kind of coffee/yogurt gelatin, or a filling or topping for home made pastries.

I'm handicapped by available flavors, though. Low fat the only yogurt flavors are plain, strawberry and prune (beats me why). regular yogurt, which isn't high in fat, has more options but all of them are fruit-based <sigh>
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
May 5th, 2011 at 9:54:52 PM permalink

I tried mixing instant coffee with plain, low-fat yogurt and that worked out pretty well. Right now I'm pondering some kind of coffee/yogurt gelatin, or a filling or topping for home made pastries.

I'm handicapped by available flavors, though. Low fat the only yogurt flavors are plain, strawberry and prune (beats me why). regular yogurt, which isn't high in fat, has more options but all of them are fruit-based <sigh>

The only coffee-flavored yogurt I can find is name brand and full fat and sugar, and I try to get the artificially sweetened cheap stuff. It never occurred to me to try to make my own!

I like my coffee dark roast, ground fine, and no cream. But I'll spike it with Butterscotch Schnapps if I have some after dinner. I've also been known to use eggnog the way some use cream around Christmastime.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 9:59:35 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

The only coffee-flavored yogurt I can find is name brand and full fat and sugar, and I try to get the artificially sweetened cheap stuff. It never occurred to me to try to make my own!

There's a brand of liquid yogurt which has a coffee flavored one, but liquid yogurt doesn't appeal to me. Mixing instant coffee into plain yogurt was a bit of desperation one long night at the office. It turned out well.

Another thing I'm trying to do is coffee soda. I need a cheap source of carbonation.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 5th, 2011 at 10:08:17 PM permalink

There's a brand of liquid yogurt which has a coffee flavored one, but liquid yogurt doesn't appeal to me. Mixing instant coffee into plain yogurt was a bit of desperation one long night at the office. It turned out well.

Another thing I'm trying to do is coffee soda. I need a cheap source of carbonation.

Hmmmm....I love coffee and I love sparkling water and sparkling wine, but somehow the combination doesn't appeal to me. But you never know. Once we got bored at work and mixed Sambucca and 7-Up, and it tasted like Good N Plenty candy.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Nareed
Nareed
May 5th, 2011 at 10:29:14 PM permalink

Hmmmm....I love coffee and I love sparkling water and sparkling wine, but somehow the combination doesn't appeal to me. But you never know. Once we got bored at work and mixed Sambucca and 7-Up, and it tasted like Good N Plenty candy.

Some years back coke tried something called "Coke Black," if memory serves. It was coffee-flavored cola. I tried it in Florida. As I recall it flopped badly. I found the taste intriguing, but the cola seemed to get on the way.

I'm thinking of cold-brewing the coffee inc concentrated form. That needs a lot of work, too. Then mixing it with sweetener and carbonated water, or maybe carbonated milk. think of it as a breakfast soda :)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 5th, 2011 at 10:31:36 PM permalink

Some years back coke tried something called "Coke Black," if memory serves. It was coffee-flavored cola. I tried it in Florida. As I recall it flopped badly. I found the taste intriguing, but the cola seemed to get on the way.

I'm thinking of cold-brewing the coffee inc concentrated form. That needs a lot of work, too. Then mixing it with sweetener and carbonated water, or maybe carbonated milk. think of it as a breakfast soda :)

My son will crack open one of those nasty energy drinks in the morning, so I guess taste doesn't matter when you're half asleep! They taste like carbonated cough syrup to me.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 5th, 2011 at 10:39:34 PM permalink
It's funny, but I'll eat just about anything for breakfast. I'll have coffee until about 11:30, then eat leftovers or some odd thing for breakfast/lunch. So I love Vegas breakfast buffets. But my sister gets squicked out if I grab a plate of clams strips at breakfast--to her, breakfast should come from a narrow list of options.

The idea of breakfast soda isn't too crazy for me!
Nareed
Nareed
May 6th, 2011 at 7:01:12 AM permalink

My son will crack open one of those nasty energy drinks in the morning, so I guess taste doesn't matter when you're half asleep! They taste like carbonated cough syrup to me.

They are nasty. I've no idea how they sell so much.

A co-worker is a cola addict. He has to have a coke at breakfast every day. If he can't get one, he gets any other kind of soda. Now, I don't feel like soda in the morning, but if I did it would be coffee soda :)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 6th, 2011 at 7:09:36 AM permalink

They are nasty. I've no idea how they sell so much.

A co-worker is a cola addict. He has to have a coke at breakfast every day. If he can't get one, he gets any other kind of soda. Now, I don't feel like soda in the morning, but if I did it would be coffee soda :)

I really liked that coffee-flavored Coke. It only lasted for 8 months or so, but that was a good 8 months for me...
Nareed
Nareed
May 6th, 2011 at 7:31:58 AM permalink
I had the coffee coke only once. If they'd had it in a diet version I'd have bought a case. As it is, I've been watching my sugar intake for years <sigh>

Back to coffee, another interesting thing are the many regional ways of making coffee. Mexico wastes much of its own good beans on two versions I absolutely despise: cafe mezclado and cafe de olla.

The first consists of coffee grounds mixed with sugar. You put that in a coffee maker and brew. The result is a weak, sweet brew that's really nasty.

The second is more complicated. You put grounds in an earthenware pot (olla), add water, piloncillo (a kind of crystalized sugar made from agave plants as far as I know), whole cinnamon and maybe other spices. Brew that and serve. I do like cinnamon a lot, but I add it to coffee only ground up on top a hot capuccino. As for the sugary stuff, well, see above. And since the brew isn't filtered, the grounds keep brewing and turn the drink nasty in short order.

Neither version is what you'd call popular, but cafe de olla is traditional in some places and rather easy to find.

Turkish coffee is made strong and very sweet, served in small cups. it's not bad, but again too much sugar in it. I've heard of Vietnamese coffe, made witha regular brew and condensed milk. Condensed milk, now, I call diabetic comma in a can. It resembles syrup more than it resembles milk,a nd it's high in fat. it's good for making deserts, like three milk cake and flan, but it should be sold with a doctor's prescription only (and of course no sane doctor would prescribe it).

The people who took coffee to new levels were the Italians. They industrialized coffee making with the espresso and capuccino machines. I've yet to try an Italian or Italian-derived variety I don't like. It helps they brew the coffee plain, and add sugar only to taste.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 6th, 2011 at 7:42:39 AM permalink
Cafe mezclado sounds like the cafe Cubano I had in Miami many moons ago, but that's an espresso grind and brewed espresso-style, so it was filtered. It was very strong and awesome. I had a few demitasse at the stand in the street, then I ordered some to go. They put the to-go order in a Styrofoam cup and gave me some small plastic cups to use as demitasse or to share (it was like 4 servings,) but I just drank it out of the big cup, the went home to bed. And slept like a baby. Ah, youth. I can still drink coffee at night, but I wouldn't try it with 6 espressos these days.
Nareed
Nareed
May 6th, 2011 at 8:08:48 AM permalink

Cafe mezclado sounds like the cafe Cubano I had in Miami many moons ago, but that's an espresso grind and brewed espresso-style, so it was filtered. It was very strong and awesome.

Mezclado is about 75% coffe and 25% sugar. it's done on a conventional coffee amker, with whatever filter it comes with. So it ends up being weak and not very sweet, or the worst of both worlds.
Nareed
Nareed
May 6th, 2011 at 12:12:15 PM permalink

I like my coffee dark roast, ground fine, and no cream. But I'll spike it with Butterscotch Schnapps if I have some after dinner.

Currently I take mine with one packet of Splenda. before I started my diet I did use cream. I preffer a medium roast and pay no attention to the grind, except for making espresso which requires a very fine grind.

I drink coffe for both the caffeine and the flavor. I can drink decaf, but I'm more than half serious when I say decaf isn't real coffee. if I want something hot and decafeinated to drink, I'll make some apple-cinnamon tea or my own version of instant, low-fat hot cocoa (two tablespoons of powdered skim milk, one tablespoon of baker's cocoa, two packs of splenda and hot water), rather than decaf 9 times out of ten.

From time to time I'll make black tea. I like Earl Gray and one Twinnings vareity I found in Orlando called, if memory serves, Lapsang Suchong. The latter's a smokey-flavored variant, very good. But I'm not a tea addict. I buy it in tea bags, which all tea addicts tell me it's sacrilegious.

Back to coffee, outside the hosue or the office I mostly gravitate to places that make capuccino. we have Starbucks here, more and mroe every day too, but I don't like their coffee much. It tastes burnt to me. I preffer a palce that ahs set up shop in several Walmarts called "Cafe Diletto." it's cheaper and their plain espresso is better than Starbucks' IMO.
cellardoor
cellardoor
  • Threads: 1
May 6th, 2011 at 7:35:43 PM permalink
I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but when I do I like to drink quality coffee. I actually roast my own beans. As referenced earlier I order my beans from Sweet Maria's. Great vast selection and reasonable prices. I like to switch it up which types I get.

As for making it, I use a very simple french press. For the effort required it makes a great cup.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
May 6th, 2011 at 8:12:42 PM permalink
I'm no coffee snob (I save that for beer), but here's my 2 cents:

Most standard coffee's you find at the supermarket here in the USA are find with me. I usually buy Master Blend or Maxwell House. Last year, I read a story about a coffee tasting survey that rated 8 O'Clock Coffee as the best auto-drip coffee. So I bought a small package. GAK! It was extremely earthy & unpleasant. Later that year on vacation I bought a small pack of a generic 'Columbian' coffee from the local store. (White label & everything.) It was excellent!

I stick to Columbian coffee though. I accidentally picked up a Maxwell House 'South Pacific Blend' about six months ago, and was surprised how weak the flavor was. I briefly considered smuggling drugs just to get rid of it!
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
cellardoor
cellardoor
  • Threads: 1
May 6th, 2011 at 8:30:30 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

I'm no coffee snob (I save that for beer)

Yay for beer! Beer is my number one love in life, both my passion and my current career. This world needs more beer geeks.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 6th, 2011 at 8:41:08 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

Most standard coffee's you find at the supermarket here in the USA are find with me. I usually buy Master Blend or Maxwell House. Last year, I read a story about a coffee tasting survey that rated 8 O'Clock Coffee as the best auto-drip coffee. So I bought a small package. GAK! It was extremely earthy & unpleasant.

I remember reading that (Consumer Reports, maybe?) and having the same reaction when I tried it. My favorite supermarket coffee is the Berkeley & Jensen Guatemala French Roast they sell at BJs, a Sam's Club-style store in the east. It's pretty darn cheap, too. I buy whole bean because I like it strong so I grind it almost to powder. I'll occasionally buy some bulk coffee in the grocery store and grind it there to use on days when I feel too lazy to put in the effort of grinding beans in the morning.

And as for beer, I'll have an Anchor Steam if you got one.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 7th, 2011 at 12:32:37 AM permalink
Quote: cellardoor

This world needs more beer geeks.

Seattle and Portland, Oregon seem to have good craft beer places. Santa Cruz, CA has eight Brew Pubs with their own beers and own food pairings. The HopMonk Tavern's Abbey serves a hopless beer made with Pot (its a lawful brew). For a while it was possible to rent time at places that did the steam sterilization of the equipment for you, but it seems such places have generally closed.
Nareed
Nareed
May 9th, 2011 at 7:30:37 AM permalink
I'll repeat my advice to use whatever coffee you like. Finding out good brands is as important as finding the bad ones, so as not to get the latter any more.

As to preparation, I think the best are drip coffe makers, whether using a cone or a basket. Next I'd place french press. I really don't liek the rpess much because solids tend to get through. the last time I used one, I filtered the coffe before pouring it through a cone filter. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well just use a cone and skip the press. Next comes any pot on the stove, as long as it's filtered afterwards. last comes the percolator. I don't like them at all because they re-brew the coffee throughout the process, and the filters aren't especially effective. Plus cleaning them is a big pain in the neck.

One thing: DON'T EVER PUT COFFEE ON THE COFFEE MAKER'S WATER RESERVOIR!!!!!!

Some idiot did that with my drip amchine at work. It took me three cycles and cleanisng solution to get it clean.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 10th, 2011 at 9:38:49 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Seattle and Portland, Oregon seem to have good craft beer places. Santa Cruz, CA has eight Brew Pubs with their own beers and own food pairings. The HopMonk Tavern's Abbey serves a hopless beer made with Pot (its a lawful brew). For a while it was possible to rent time at places that did the steam sterilization of the equipment for you, but it seems such places have generally closed.

There are four breweries in a square mile here, plus 4 brew pubs also within walking distance. Victoria has quite the craft brew industry, though most of it is relatively "safe" beer. Vancouver has a shed load of good beer, breweries and tap rooms, and more folks willing to take their beer in wild directions. Though there's a lot average muck brewed there as well under the guise of "craft" beer.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 10th, 2011 at 9:43:29 AM permalink

Some idiot did that with my drip amchine at work. It took me three cycles and cleanisng solution to get it clean.

That and never use hotel makers. Nasty.

Try running vinegar through to clean it. Do it outside unless you want the scent of cooking vomit filling the house.

Mate is good for a coffee like buzz.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 10th, 2011 at 9:43:29 AM permalink

That and never use hotel makers. Nasty.

Try running vinegar through to clean it. Do it outside unless you want the scent of cooking vomit filling the house.

Mate is good for a coffee like buzz.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
  • Jump to: