21 votes (63.63%)
12 votes (36.36%)

33 members have voted

DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
April 4th, 2011 at 11:43:43 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

And we ars supposed to believe Kalamazoo is not a fictional town ?? How would a town get named Kalamazoo ??

Google map of Kalamazoo, Michigan
Wikipedia page for Kalamazoo, Michigan
Settled in 1829, incoprorated in 1883.
Wikipedia page for Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Founded 1830.

Wikipedia page for Glenn Miller's hit, (I've got a gal in) Kalamazoo

Should I go on?
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
April 4th, 2011 at 11:43:46 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

And we ars supposed to believe Kalamazoo is not a fictional town ?? How would a town get named Kalamazoo ??

Maybe it was founded by Jebbadiah Kalamazoo?

It hardly rates near the top of "silly names" on towns. I have been to or near:

Zzzyzx
Horseheads
Lemont Furnace
Bird in Hand

And many, many more.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
April 4th, 2011 at 11:47:03 AM permalink
LOL, that's what I get for a 10 second google.

Still; it's not that hard. I'm just not really motivated to do it, or to prove it, or to win the discussion. EvenBob might not have been the right person to start with; his was the name I was looking at when I decided to open a new window and type, as I was finishing my morning cereal and getting ready to go to work.

Shoot, I chose DJTeddyBear next, and he has made no effort at all to be hidden (as he shouldn't, given his line of work)!
NO KILL I
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
April 4th, 2011 at 11:50:54 AM permalink
P.S.

Don't feel bad. From the Wikipedia page:
Quote:

Today, t-shirts are sold in Kalamazoo with the phrase "Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo".

Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 4th, 2011 at 11:51:46 AM permalink
Truth of Consequences, Arizona, home of Cactus Jack
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 4th, 2011 at 11:58:13 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Home of the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL...[/

Kalamazoo is a Native American word that means boiling water. The river makes the sound of "kalamazoo" and the town was named for that reason. It was originally named Bronsan after the founder but changed it's name due to a scandal.

Boiling water and Ice hockey and I am supposed to believe Kalamazoo is not the figment of someone's imagination ?

DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
April 4th, 2011 at 11:59:54 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Shoot, I chose DJTeddyBear next, and he has made no effort at all to be hidden (as he shouldn't, given his line of work)!

Hell, if you've been paying attention at all, you can figure out my geographic location easily without resorting to google.

And if you've been paying attention even slightly more than minimally, you can gain a LOT if info about me without resorting to Google, such as: first and last name, approx age, day job type of job and industry, marital status, number of kids, and even my cell phone number. Please don't call just because this post prompted you to.

A little more effort will produce several email addresses that you can find about me.

---

For what it's worth, on forums that include some bio under the user name, I usually include my real name, as well as location, and use my photo as an avatar.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 4th, 2011 at 12:22:57 PM permalink
There are so many cities, towns, small towns, whistle-stops (whatever they are), vilalges and plain spots on the map, all over the world, that I'm willing to bet any reasonable sequence of consonants and vowels pronounceable in the West will correspond to the name of a real place.

Bonus: is there a Tar Heel, North Carolina?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
April 4th, 2011 at 12:25:16 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Hell, if you've been paying attention at all, you can figure out my geographic location easily without resorting to google.

And if you've been paying attention even slightly more than minimally, you can gain a LOT if info about me without resorting to Google, such as: first and last name, approx age, day job type of job and industry, marital status, number of kids, and even my cell phone number. Please don't call just because this post prompted you to.

A little more effort will produce several email addresses that you can find about me.

---

For what it's worth, on forums that include some bio under the user name, I usually include my real name, as well as location, and use my photo as an avatar.

I know, I figured you'd respond with a smile. I chose you at random as well, just the name that happened to be on the screen as I was typing. I got most of your information from your profile, of course, plus knowing what you've posted in the past.
NO KILL I
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
April 4th, 2011 at 12:28:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I know, I figured you'd respond with a smile. I chose you at random as well, just the name that happened to be on the screen as I was typing. I got most of your information from your profile, of course, plus knowing what you've posted in the past.

Duh! I completely forgot that some of that stuff is in the profile here!

---

Tar Heel? Google Map

• Jump to: