gofaster87
  • Threads: 3
May 8th, 2011 at 4:59:10 PM permalink
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
May 8th, 2011 at 9:25:24 PM permalink
Quote: gofaster87

I mentioned that I should be able to make it.

corrected :D
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 16th, 2011 at 7:17:49 AM permalink
Croupier,

Since I won't be able to attend this year, have you thought of what you'll do about the IP buffet, er, I'm not sure whether to call it a test, tasting or a challenge?

I suppose you could go with just your wife, but it would be great, IMO, to take some other forum member with you. Prefferably someone who has never had the IP buffet either.

Speaking of buffets, one thing I wanted to try this year is to get 7 full meals over 24 hours with the Caesars' 24 hour deal. I mulled it over with Teddy last year but really dind't do it. Now, seven meals in 24 hours isn't easy, even if you duplicate Homer Simpson's discovery of a meal between breakfast and brunch ;) Harder still would be to have 7 full meals in one business day.

The easy thing to do, which I also thought about, is to hit all 7 buffets in one business day, without eating a full meal at each. I say easy because you could, for example, have breakfast at Rio at 9, then a snack at Caesars around 11, then lunch at Flamingo, then coffee and dessert at Harrah's, then an afternoon snack at IP say around 4, then dinner at PH, then coffee at Bally's. That wouldn't be too hard, though it would eat up a lot of your day. Still not a bad activity for a jaded Vegas visitor with time to kill ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Croupier
Croupier
May 16th, 2011 at 7:43:36 AM permalink
I havnt even thought about the IP Buffet challenge, I just assumed it wouldnt go ahead. If anyone else wants to step in I would be more thanhappy to accomodate it.

The 7 buffet challenge could be interesting. 3 courses at 7 buffets in one day could be good.
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2011 at 7:47:47 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

I havnt even thought about the IP Buffet challenge, I just assumed it wouldnt go ahead. If anyone else wants to step in I would be more thanhappy to accomodate it.

Lots of luck with it. Remember to take a bottle of Pepto or a small jar of Tums, though.

Quote:

The 7 buffet challenge could be interesting. 3 courses at 7 buffets in one day could be good.

Yeah, the problem there is that even if you stick to "light" dishes, you're looking at a huge calorie count for the day. Worse yet if you want to add the Rio's seafood buffet, which I understand is now an option (God knows why). If you go for it, I'd recommend strictly walking between buffets; no cabs, buses or cars.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 16th, 2011 at 9:47:26 AM permalink

Don't go out of your way for the IP buffet. Time in Vegas is precious, buffet time, doubly so.

It'd be a laugh as a challenge, but otherwise save your energy and do something worthwhile. Like changing $20 into pennies and chucking them one by one into the Bellagio fountains.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Croupier
Croupier
May 16th, 2011 at 9:56:42 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Don't go out of your way for the IP buffet. Time in Vegas is precious, buffet time, doubly so.

It'd be a laugh as a challenge, but otherwise save your energy and do something worthwhile. Like changing $20 into pennies and chucking them one by one into the Bellagio fountains.

The whole reason for it [IP Buffet Challenge] was to see if it lives up to its terrible reputation. Myself and Nareed were going to come up with a scoring system to see if it really was bad, average or above.

It was to settle a bet.

I think its detailed in another thread. Maybe Nareed can remember where.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 16th, 2011 at 10:00:45 AM permalink
Yep, I recall it. I'd wait till you can eat it with Nareed to complete the challenge as that might be entertaining for you both. Or at least someone would win the bet.

Back when the IP was independently owned, the buffet wasn't too bad at all. Harrah's seem to be plumbing as low as standards as possible.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2011 at 10:20:05 AM permalink

It was to settle a bet.

I think its detailed in another thread. Maybe Nareed can remember where.

I recall a bet, but not what ti was for. And with so many WoVCon threads, I can't recal where it was.

No matter. If you want to defer it for next year, that would be fine with me. I understand wanting to put it off, I've eaten there ;)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 16th, 2011 at 10:26:37 AM permalink
Here's the thread with the wager, you know...just so you guys can't claim there wasn't one;-)

I hope to witness - but not experience - the resolution next year.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Croupier
Croupier
May 16th, 2011 at 10:38:53 AM permalink
It might have to wait two years. Next year am hoping to go to Miami for Wrestlemania, and can't afford a Vegas trip on top of that.

But I do want to settle it sometime, and if the Wrestlemania trip fails to materialise, or could be turned into a 2 leg trip then next year it is.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 16th, 2011 at 10:49:18 AM permalink

It might have to wait two years. Next year am hoping to go to Miami for Wrestlemania, and can't afford a Vegas trip on top of that.

But I do want to settle it sometime, and if the Wrestlemania trip fails to materialise, or could be turned into a 2 leg trip then next year it is.

Awwww, c'mon! Croupier versus the IP Buffet is a much bigger deal than Cena versus The Rock...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 16th, 2011 at 10:51:42 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Awwww, c'mon! Croupier versus the IP Buffet is a much bigger deal than Cena versus The Rock...

Can you smellll what the IP's cooking?!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2011 at 10:56:07 AM permalink

You know if we wait too long we might miss our chance? One of Nareed's Laws states everything in Vegas is ephemeral. They might close the buffet, they might close the IP, they might implode the IP even. So why not do it with your wife this year and whatever unsuspecting subjects agree to it, then post the results here? It would be a shame not to quantify the IP's Emperor's Buffet in our lifetime (or words to that effect).

Of course, this board is based in Vegas and that means it's also ephemeral, so... :P
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 16th, 2011 at 11:15:07 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Can you smellll what the IP's cooking?!

Nice! That was right there waiting to be said, and I didn't even see it. Well done, sir.

I suppose if the event can't wait, I could observe/judge in Nareed's stead. But it sounds conspicuously like Nareed is just looking for excuses to never have to go back to the IP buffet, even if it is 2 years from now...;-)
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
May 16th, 2011 at 11:41:53 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The easy thing to do, which I also thought about, is to hit all 7 buffets in one business day, without eating a full meal at each. I say easy because you could, for example, have breakfast at Rio at 9, then a snack at Caesars around 11, then lunch at Flamingo, then coffee and dessert at Harrah's, then an afternoon snack at IP say around 4, then dinner at PH, then coffee at Bally's.

Let me save you some time and heartburn. If you're gonna buy the All-Day Buffet Ticket, no reason to hit IP at all, and only do Harrahs and Flamingo if you have time. Even Caesars buffet was disappointing when I did it (waaaay overcooked meats, no spoons anywhere or lemon wedges for tea, etc.). Just stick to Rio, Planet Hollywood and Paris. And do Rio at lunch, better selection than at breakfast. I eat there a lot, since it's half-price for locals.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2011 at 12:00:18 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

But it sounds conspicuously like Nareed is just looking for excuses to never have to go back to the IP buffet, even if it is 2 years from now...;-)

Wouldn't you? :P

Of course you would. You offered to observe or judge, not to take part. Why is that? :)
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2011 at 12:03:57 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Let me save you some time and heartburn. If you're gonna buy the All-Day Buffet Ticket, no reason to hit IP at all

I know. Last year in fact I skipped IP because of the low quality, and Caesars because of the distances involved. I tried all the others at least once. Rio and Paris way more than once. It was a really good deal.

But the challenge is to hit all seven between 9 am and closing, which I think is 10 pm. Since it's a challenge, then you'd ahve to do all 7, incuding the dreaded IP. I think I've said it's not bad, because it would need to improve substantially in order to be called bad :P
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
May 16th, 2011 at 4:18:50 PM permalink
Maybe you should try a challenge similar to this one where they were required to "eat at least two pounds of food at three of the worst buffets in town, all in one day." Of course this was a while back so the Boardwalk is no longer available, but they started at Circus Circus and ended at the IP so you could do something like the Riviera in the middle.
Croupier
Croupier
May 16th, 2011 at 8:37:55 PM permalink
The challenge was mainly to rate the IP Buffet, to see how bad it really was, not to attempt to kill myself with bad food.

And the only reason I planned on going to Wrestlemania was to see the Undertaker go 20-0 then retire. Im more shocked the wife agreed to it.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 2nd, 2011 at 5:57:46 PM permalink
Well, it appears that I have to remove my name from "definitely attending" to "possibly attending" as my wife tells me we are not moving until June 27th. That doesn't mean that the 'ole Rig can't make it into Vegas on the 15th, but will take a little more planning on my part.

Will update with any relevant information as it comes available.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Croupier
Croupier
June 2nd, 2011 at 10:46:05 PM permalink
Ive updated the list. Sorry to hear you might not be there, hope eit works out you can turn up.
  • Jump to: