19 votes (54.28%)

35 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1317
March 8th, 2011 at 1:53:23 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Also in heated arguments he'd attack the poster rather than the argument. Now, that's common in such threads, but usually one attacks the poster and the argument.

That is called an ad-hominem argument, which he often identified others making.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 8th, 2011 at 2:00:29 PM permalink
Here is the report by webmaster JB:

Quote: JB

From what I can tell, they appear to be different people:

mkl654321 signed up from 76.115.***.*** (somewhere in Oregon) and last
logged in from 98.232.***.*** (also Oregon).

teeth1 signed up from 114.72.***.*** (somewhere in [another country]) and last
logged in from 120.17.***.*** (also [another country]).

That's not proof that it couldn't be the same person, but chances are
good that they are probably different people.

So it appears those who voted 'no' were probably right, although 'don't care' would not have been a wrong answer.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
March 8th, 2011 at 2:05:38 PM permalink
Okay -
Some of us may be guilty of grudges, for having crossed swords with him here and there.
But starting fights here is a no-no. Worse then defending, responding, or getting involved?
We were spooked by similar appearance, maybe against an innocent.
Big Daddy has to make a call.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
March 8th, 2011 at 2:10:57 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

So it appears those who voted 'no' were probably right, although 'don't care' would not have been a wrong answer.

I stand corrected. But still, any admirer of MKL has one strike. Anyone (ostensibly) setting a trap on their 11th post has two strikes. Anyone calling people nasty names ... well, we'll let Wizard decide as time goes on.

PaigowDan is right .. very similar, very spooky. It does not bode well.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
March 8th, 2011 at 2:17:26 PM permalink
If you google search mkl654321, one place it comes up is the travel forum for Lonely Planet. It might very well be that mkl is on vacation, or is collaborating with someone in Australia.

Or not, but whatever. If someone wants to come in here and poke at people for their own amusement, it really doesn't matter if it is mkl or someone else. It's annoying, and unfriendly. But sometimes people are that way.
NO KILL I
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
March 8th, 2011 at 2:25:11 PM permalink
Yeah,
Teeth1 and mkl were so similar it was uncanny: quotes, positions, getting under the skin.....

Even without outright personal attacks,
taking a flaming or ludicrous position that just wrecks and spoils a thread is antogonistic, while still technically legal here. An abuse.

It comes off as using lighter fluid and a match saying, "I'm just lighting my way." SOME people are that way.
Hope it's gone.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 8th, 2011 at 3:00:12 PM permalink

When someone indicated their dislike for him, he had to assume it was ad-hominem since no one in the world is actually capable of disliking mkl.

BTW I voted "don't care." But I dn't think teeth is wannabe-Jerry simply because it's so unnecessary. Mkl left the board. He wasn't banned and there were no preconditions for his return, past serving a week's suspension. Why go to all the trouble of setting up a sock puppet then? If he wanted to return to the baord all he had to do was log back in on Feb. 28th.

While we're on the subject, is calling a poster "an mkl" or "a Jerry Logan," or any variation or combination thereof, considered a personal insult?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teeth1
teeth1
  • Threads: 2
March 8th, 2011 at 3:13:46 PM permalink

While we're on the subject, is calling a poster "an mkl" or "a Jerry Logan," or any variation or combination thereof, considered a personal insult?

You're right Nareed it could be. Perhaps I should seek redress from the Wizard. :}).
A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn't.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
March 8th, 2011 at 4:02:32 PM permalink

In case you care, most people don't like their IPs and locations disclosed publicly without consent, and consider it violation of their privacy, so you might want to remove that from your post.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 8th, 2011 at 5:05:50 PM permalink

It would depend on the context.

Quote: weaselman

In case you care, most people don't like their IPs and locations disclosed publicly without consent, and consider it violation of their privacy, so you might want to remove that from your post.

Fair point. Mkl stated he lived in Oregon, so I think that is fair. However, I did just edit out the country of origin of teeth. I also removed the trailing digits from the IPs.

In the future I'm not going to so easily do these investigations.

• Jump to: