Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 276
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffrey
October 5th, 2022 at 9:22:54 PM permalink
It really bugs me out of towners don't know how to ride a NYC escalator.

Then they go home and complain NYC residents are rude and obnoxious. Meanwhile it's really 8 million people cooperating and a bunch of out of townies clogging up the whole operation and getting yelled at for acting ignorant and stupid.

8 million people cooperating together! And everyone believes we are the rude ones.

So lesson one. Escalators. If you guys ever make it to NY, there is an unwritten rule, agreement, call it what you will that every New Yorker follows while riding the escalator.

If you want to be lazy or just enjoy the ride stationary, then stand on the right. If you want to get somewhere in a hurry, then WALK on the left.

Notice the left is where you better be chugging. Call it the fast lane if you will.

If you don't believe 8 million people cooperating silently on an unwritten rule here are some pics to help you ride a NYC escalator.

The pic below (right image) shows some out of towners looking stupid standing on the wrong side. (The girl in the pink coat is even looking the wrong way as well. Guess how she gets treated in NYC.)

For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 31
Thanks for this post from:
Mukke
October 5th, 2022 at 9:31:57 PM permalink
Yeah, “keep right” must be a thing in NY only. Never heard of such a strange concept
It’s all about making that GTA
darkoz
darkoz 
October 5th, 2022 at 10:23:45 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Yeah, “keep right” must be a thing in NY only. Never heard of such a strange concept
link to original post

Having done some traveling it's a definitely a NY thing.

The point is to allow a clear lane for those people who want to walk and run up or down the escalator.

You should be able to do that without having to keep saying"excuse me" if the lane is kept clear.

Anyway, now you guys know.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 31
October 5th, 2022 at 10:27:01 PM permalink
I assume your travels were to island nations where they drive and walk on the left ? Or South Africa perhaps
Last edited by: Ace2 on Oct 5, 2022
It’s all about making that GTA
darkoz
darkoz 
October 5th, 2022 at 10:46:19 PM permalink

I assume your travels were to island nations where they drive and walk on the left ? Or South Africa perhaps
link to original post

Well no. I'm not making global statements.

Just observations that most people from outside NY wind up clogging foot traffic and have no clue they are doing it
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
October 5th, 2022 at 11:52:52 PM permalink
Way too dangerous for me to agree with you. Unlike many public staircases, many public escalators are not that wide as your pictures also show. Too easy to bump into someone accidentally while trying to pass, which could lead to a bigger problem.

If someone passed me on an escalator, I would think they were extremely rude. I have never been to NYC and never thought this was a thing anywhere.

Sometimes I'll walk on an escalator to progress more quickly if there are empty steps, but I would never, ever pass anyone.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 58
October 6th, 2022 at 1:25:14 AM permalink

link to original post

It's stand on the Left on the London Underground.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
darkoz
darkoz 
October 6th, 2022 at 2:00:35 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Way too dangerous for me to agree with you. Unlike many public staircases, many public escalators are not that wide as your pictures also show. Too easy to bump into someone accidentally while trying to pass, which could lead to a bigger problem.

If someone passed me on an escalator, I would think they were extremely rude. I have never been to NYC and never thought this was a thing anywhere.

Sometimes I'll walk on an escalator to progress more quickly if there are empty steps, but I would never, ever pass anyone.
link to original post

Which is perfectly fine.

Just please stand on the right so those people who are actually late for work, running to pick up their kid or just plain antsy can pass you.

As for people passing you on an escalator, that's the norm here. Wonderful to have choices. Stand still and ride or walk past faster. Giving fellow riders the choice by standing all on the same side

Then along come the outsiders who block traffic and then tell everyone back home we were rude.

As for bumping into someone, that's something that occurs every single day in NYC. The expectation is to say "excuse me". Having someone escalate an accidental bump in NYC is as rare as a 9.1 earthquake in San Francisco. It happens but rarely.

8 million people live in an area the size of Burbank. Someone is going to bump into you accidentally.

If you are afraid of being bumped or afraid of people being close to you then stay away from NYC.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 13
October 6th, 2022 at 4:04:57 AM permalink

link to original post

This was also how Hong Kong was - stand right, walk left.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator_etiquette
May the cards fall in your favor.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
October 6th, 2022 at 4:54:39 AM permalink

link to original post

In LA and Las Vegas including the moving sidewalks its correct to stand on the right and keep the left side open for passing.

And if I recall there are even markings on the moving sidewalks at the Vegas airport to keep the left side open.

• Jump to: