AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 235
September 26th, 2022 at 4:02:05 PM permalink
Any plot holes in movies bother you?

I never thought of this one until now. In "Star Wars IV" they say the exhaust port is "2 meters wide." But:

1. When it happened, the meter had not yet been invented.
2. The meter can only be used on earth as a meter is 1/1,000,000 the distance from north pole to equator if I remember my science correct* So how could they get an accurate measurement for one?

I never thought about this until just now.**

*Yes, I know the distance of a meter has since been redefined. But Star Wars IV happened before that. In fact it was probably filmed before that.

**Yes, I know not to tell this to women at parties.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 31
September 26th, 2022 at 4:18:01 PM permalink
I believe youíre off by one order of magnitude

Rough calculation: Earth has circumference of about 25,000 miles, so distance from equator to pole about 6,000 miles, which is about 10,000 kilometers, times 1,000 is 10 million meters

If you want to really impress a woman at a party, calculate the mass of earth in your head (but describe the steps)
Itís all about making that GTA
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 276
September 26th, 2022 at 4:19:01 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Any plot holes in movies bother you?

I never thought of this one until now. In "Star Wars IV" they say the exhaust port is "2 meters wide." But:

1. When it happened, the meter had not yet been invented.
2. The meter can only be used on earth as a meter is 1/1,000,000 the distance from north pole to equator if I remember my science correct* So how could they get an accurate measurement for one?

I never thought about this until just now.**

*Yes, I know the distance of a meter has since been redefined. But Star Wars IV happened before that. In fact it was probably filmed before that.

**Yes, I know not to tell this to women at parties.
link to original post

That didn't bother me because English wasn't a language yet so every word they say is just a translation.

I do have a plothole from that film that annoys me so much I wrote dialogue for it in a comedy I wrote. If you are interested I can provide a link to the scene on YouTube.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 33
September 26th, 2022 at 4:25:34 PM permalink
In the theme of this website, the Wizard of Odds, the plot primer was based around Dorothy running away from her home because the Sherrif has an order to euthanize Toto from when the dog bit the richest lady in the county.

She returns after her adventure and the outcome of the order is never addressed again. I don't know why, but this has always bothered me.

The meter usage in Star Wars I honestly have never thought of, but its a fantasy world with fictional measures (many that are never explained), so I guess it can be explained that meter means something more fixed in their universe. I don't know if I would really call this a "plot hole", since its used consistently in the movie. I mean I am sure some physicist can find ample wrong with their version of "light speed" as well, but its not a plot hole, just an inaccuracy (maybe, though in fantasy worlds anything can be what you make them even terms we have an established meaning of). For example, in Lord of the Rings (the books) "leagues" is often used as a measure for parties and armies from each other, and I remember in school learning there was something wrong with their measure compared to in the books (I don't recall the details), but I never gave it much thought. That is the beauty of fantasy worlds, measures can mean whatever the author intends (in my view).
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 4
September 26th, 2022 at 4:25:37 PM permalink
Could be, in that Universe, they have independently invented a measuring system that is analogous to our metric system? Could be, in that Universe, that what they call a "meter" is something completely unrelated to our meter?

Would we have preferred a completely made up system of measurement, like they used on the original Battlestar Galactica?

Gene
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
September 26th, 2022 at 4:31:39 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

In the theme of this website, the Wizard of Odds, the plot primer was based around Dorothy running away from her home because the Sherrif has an order to euthanize Toto from when the dog bit the richest lady in the county.

She returns after her adventure and the outcome of the order is never addressed again. I don't know why, but this has always bothered me.

(Quote truncated for relevance)

link to original post

Could be because the twister dropped a house down on Miss Gulch in real life, too. And since she was dead, there was no reason to execute the order, and the Sheriff just let it go.

Gene
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 235
September 26th, 2022 at 4:35:31 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I believe youíre off by one order of magnitude

Rough calculation: Earth has circumference of about 25,000 miles, so distance from equator to pole about 6,000 miles, which is about 10,000 kilometers, times 1,000 is 10 million meters

If you want to really impress a woman at a party, calculate the mass of earth in your head (but describe the steps)
link to original post

It might be that, I am trying to remember back to 1984 when I learned it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
September 26th, 2022 at 4:38:22 PM permalink
I legit want to know why movies set in ancient or medieval times use the word "Godspeed" when the word wasn't even invented until 1250 or 1300 AD...

Gene
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 33
Thanks for this post from:
Mukke
September 26th, 2022 at 4:43:01 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

I legit want to know why movies set in ancient or medieval times use the word "Godspeed" when the word wasn't even invented until 1250 or 1300 AD...

Gene
link to original post

By that logic you may as well ask why movies set in ancient times use dialogue in English at all (before it was invented).

Or why movies set in the Medieval-Renaissance Era use modern English instead of English from the time.

The simple answer is modern audiences would rather dialogue and phrases that are understood.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 342
September 26th, 2022 at 4:50:42 PM permalink
As I posted at DT, the plot of "Top Gun:Maverick" has a couple holes in it big enough to fly an F-18 through.

1. Why use fighters to attack a target that would be ideal for a missile strike?

2. Why use Hornets when Raptors or even Lightnings would do better, with their stealth capability (yeah, they said they were "unavailable:" sure...).
"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: