DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
December 14th, 2010 at 4:44:28 PM permalink
Machine vs. Human Jeopardy, Coming in February

I'm laying 4-to-1 on the humans -- honor only.

--Dorothy
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
December 15th, 2010 at 5:05:47 AM permalink
I read this article describing the thought process Watson (the supercomputer's name) uses to determine the correct response. It's far from perfect, and is not always first to the buzzer. Sometimes short clues, or ones that rely on wordplay, are its downfall.

Two of THE best Jeopardy! players, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, are going up against the machine. I think Watson is going to be impressive, but it going to lose hard.

The two human players are going to donate half of their winnings to charity. Just for showing up, they are taking home at at least $100,000. This also means Brad Rutter could feasibly supplant Ken Jennings as the top-money winning game show contestant of all time, again. Their current standings:

Ken Jennings - $3,623,414.29
Brad Rutter - $3,270,102.00

Only non-charity winnings are counted towards the total, so in order for Brad to take the lead, he must take 1st place, while Ken must take 3rd. If Ken takes 2nd, Brad would still be about $3,300 behind.
-Dween!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 15th, 2010 at 7:40:31 AM permalink
Somewhat off topic, but that's interesting that Jennings passed Rutter. Rutter for a time was the highest winner because he won a couple million at the "Ultimate Tournament of Champions," where Jennings finished second. But it looks like Jennings overtook him by appearing on some other game shows. Among quiz aficionados, both Jennings and Rutter have their respective "camps" of advocates. I tend to favor Jennings, so I'm glad he's back on top.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 15th, 2010 at 7:44:33 AM permalink
Whatver happend to Deep Blue? Is it still the undisputed world chess champion?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 15th, 2010 at 7:46:29 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

I'm laying 4-to-1 on the humans -- honor only.

I think the humans will win, but 4 to 1 is too good of a price to refuse. I accept the bet!
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
December 15th, 2010 at 7:50:12 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Whatver happend to Deep Blue? Is it still the undisputed world chess champion?

There are computer programs that are much stronger than D.B., and yes, computers are now way better than the top GM's, an order of magnitude better. Off the shelf programs can give odds to GMs. There is now a GM strength mobile phone app.

Google: Rybka, Deep Fritz and Stockfish.

--Dorothy
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 15th, 2010 at 8:26:20 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

There are computer programs that are much stronger than D.B., and yes, computers are now way better than the top GM's, an order of magnitude better. Off the shelf programs can give odds to GMs. There is now a GM strength mobile phone app.

That's nice. it's good for families to grow and beat the crap out of chess masters ;)

But, really, if you think more about it you realize the whole thing says nothing about human intelligence. Neither does the upcoming Jeopardy stunt.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: