Thread Rating:

AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
February 20th, 2022 at 2:01:44 PM permalink
I saw the comments in one of MDawg's threads about car battery problems.

I didnt want to contribute to the hijacking. So....

I've had problems with a two year old battery and AAA suggested I replace it. I've had to have the car jumped if I didnt drive it for longer than 14 hours.

But last Sunday i went with my ex for her latest cancer treatment in Salt Lake City and we used her car. My car sat idle for five days.

Surprisingly the car started up with no problem when I returned to Vegas.

Was it the more mild temps of the last week? Or has the problem become resolved because I used the car at least twice a day since I had the problem start in October?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 20th, 2022 at 2:10:22 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I've had problems with a two year old battery and AAA suggested I replace it. I've had to have the car jumped if I didnt drive it for longer than 14 hours.

But last Sunday i went with my ex for her latest cancer treatment in Salt Lake City and we used her car. My car sat idle for five days.

Was it the more mild temps of the last week? Or has the problem become resolved because I used the car at least twice a day since I had the problem start in October?
link to original post

So the longer than 14 hours... 14+ hours parked, or you just drive around all but 10 hours a day?
May the cards fall in your favor.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
February 20th, 2022 at 2:12:46 PM permalink
I had problems with my battery during the first lockdown (as I only drove to supermarket twice a week) and eventually the battery went flat. It transpired (after a few times similarly breaking down) it was a duff battery - only two years old car - and was replaced under warranty. One way is to ensure, especially with diesel cars, to do a reasonable run where the engine gets hot - this also burns off stuff in the exhaust system as well as helping the battery.

btw after the third time I did buy a jump starter similar to this one, and did use it once! - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/noco-gb20-500a-jump-starter-721880.html
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
February 20th, 2022 at 2:23:26 PM permalink
Milder temps can help a car battery stay charged longer. When it's 0 degrees out, the car battery can lose 2/3rds of its strength. Whether that strength returns because it's not frosty out anymore, idk. I used to think it was only the voltage that started the car, but even with a voltage meter sticking out of my cig lighter saying 11.1 volts, it may not have the cold cranking amps to start the car. So I picked up a cold cranking amps meter tester from Amazon for $50+ and I can test the CCA at my leisure, but I'd have to remove the back seat because that's where the battery is, such a pain. I could pay the garage $25 to recharge my battery, but they're booked up. The battery is under warranty still, so I only want to go there if I'm sure I've exhausted other remedies. They've already told me a few times I don't drive enough, so they are just gonna stick with that if I have a problem with the battery. Well, what is driving enough? I don't know. I bought a battery pack jump starter, that I have to connect to the battery under the back seat. I've already lost the USB 3.0 charging cable that came with it, so I have to go to WalMart and find a replacement. I've had to jump the car 4 times in the past 6 weeks, once with AAA. We've had a foot of snow followed by 0 degree nights for many nights, then a week later it thaws out and I can attempt to dig out and jump my car and drive it for a couple hours.
When it's warmer my car can last 5 to 7 days between drives. When it's this wintry, I can't get past the snow to find out how many days it will last. Today is a warm day and I haven't driven since 3 days ago and I'm almost out of Gatorade and the local store was out of Gatorade, so I'm likely to go on a multicity search for Gatorade soon.

I picked up the GOOLOO GP2000 Jump Starter 2000A Peak Car Starter for Up to 9L Gas or 7L Diesel Engine SuperSafe 12V Jump Box Auto Lithium Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with USB Quick Charge, Type-C Port - https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-GP2000-Starter-SuperSafe-Portable/dp/B09HYVM6ZT
2000 amps because 500 may not be enough in the cold, lol.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 20th, 2022 at 2:30:35 PM permalink
Dieter... I made sure to drive the car about once in 14 hours. It might have been a five minute drive to a drive-thru for a burger... or to the supermarket.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 20th, 2022 at 2:52:11 PM permalink

link to original post

i am the guy that will just spend the $100 to replace it because if I get stranded once it will inconvenience me more than $100.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 20th, 2022 at 2:54:17 PM permalink
Make certain that there is no corrosion at the battery terminals and that the battery cables are tip top.

Take the car / battery to a place (many auto parts stores) that can do a load test (for free) on the battery and have them check it out.

Either the battery is going bad or there was / is some parasitic power loss, e.g. something is still drawing power when the car is not running.

Could be dome light, trunk light, other things: a competent auto electric tech with a VOM can spot the problem if asked to investigate.
Last edited by: MrV on Feb 20, 2022
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 20th, 2022 at 3:14:54 PM permalink

link to original post

14 hours should not make a difference. 10-15 minutes should charge it up. It sounds like your voltage regulator.

One thing about cars sitting. My mother had surgery and her car sat for weeks, battery died. I cannot get anyone to say but I think these new cars that sense you are close drain batteries bit by bit and need to be started ever week or so. I cannot get confirmation but the shade tree mechanic in me says it is probably so.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 20th, 2022 at 3:34:02 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Milder temps can help a car battery stay charged longer. When it's 0 degrees out, the car battery can lose 2/3rds of its strength. Whether that strength returns because it's not frosty out anymore, idk. I used to think it was only the voltage that started the car, but even with a voltage meter sticking out of my cig lighter saying 11.1 volts, it may not have the cold cranking amps to start the car. ]

Are you sure about that? Very cold temps do require more amperage to crank the engine since the oil is thicker, but it's actually heat that weakens batteries, not cold.

11.1 volts is way past gone. I'm thinking even 12 volts is considered a dead battery... a fully charged one is around 12.7 as I recall
It’s all about making that GTA
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 20th, 2022 at 3:45:14 PM permalink
I’ve lived in both Minnesota and Las Vegas. Both extremes will shorten battery life. Has to be a place that gets sub zero temps I think for cold. People plug their car block heater in with an extension cord when it goes below zero to prevent a dead battery. Also keep car over half full with gas so gas line doesn’t freeze. It’s shorter with less you can do about it extreme heat though. I was shocked when I had my battery go dead soon in LV, had grown up accustomed to worrying about it in cold temps.

Some batteries, particularly on smaller cars, have cells with water in them too that should be checked every few months. If those run dry doesn’t really charge when driving, will go.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
February 20th, 2022 at 3:47:27 PM permalink
If I drive for 2 hours I can recharge it to 12.0 volts. I'm sure there was a time it was at 12.6 volts, probably when the battery was new. But I've been running it along between 11.0 to 12.0 volts because of my lack of driving. Will 10 hours of driving in a couple of days get me back to 12.6 volts? That's something I've got to find out. I can't drive that far so it would be a succession of days with 2 hour drives. The alternator seems OK at between 14.3 volts to the sometimes odd 15.0 volts at the cig lighter. My meter says the CCA is bad at 37% health, so either charge up the battery or replace it.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 20th, 2022 at 4:02:36 PM permalink
I have to admit that I'm trying not to buy a new battery.

My car is a 2003 Mercedes with 356,000 miles. It looks great with no body damage, and an interior that's clean and no one has ever smoked in it.

It's been wonderful not having a car payment for something like 17 years.

BUT my car's book value is only $500 because of the age and mileage and a new battery is more than $200.
AAA doesnt provide batteries anymore for Mercedes and BMW and I'm just too lazy to go to a car shop to replace it.

I get my oil changes at Jiffy Lube and they dont do batteries.

But who wants to spend $200 for a battery on a $500 car?

(Ironically I'll throw $600 on a craps table for "a stack and a stack.")
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
AlanMendelson
February 20th, 2022 at 4:07:52 PM permalink

Dieter... I made sure to drive the car about once in 14 hours. It might have been a five minute drive to a drive-thru for a burger... or to the supermarket.
link to original post

That certainly sounds like something is irregular.
I routinely park for 1 to 3 weeks at a time and only experience difficulties if it's well below zero (fahrenheit).

Batteries rely on chemical reactions; chemical reactions happen more slowly the colder the reagents (usually lead and sulfuric acid for car batteries) are. Cold=less available power. Warm the battery back up, it should be mostly back to normal.

I know some cars disconnect power to the lighter outlet when the car is off. Some cars do NOT. If yours does not, certain models of cell phone chargers drain just enough power to keep the battery a bit low.

Of course, if none of that works, have your mechanic check the usual suspects - battery, battery terminals, and alternator. An alternator can superficially appear fine, but have an internal component burned out, leading to only 2/3rds or 1/3rd of its nominal output being available to recharge the battery. (The dashboard warning lights make it obvious when the alternator is completely burned out, giving 0/3rds output.)

Best of luck, Alan.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
February 20th, 2022 at 4:14:26 PM permalink
I hear apartment rents are going up in some locales by 30% to 50% to over 100% in recent months. The inflation danger is real. I saw one YouTuber go to a car sales lot and the car dealer was doubling the prices of his $50,000 vehicles with a $50,000 surcharge. For what? Cargo ships? I don't know.

I got a misdirected piece of mail and my neighbor is paying $320/month for a lease on a new car.

I have no idea if my clunker junker old car is worth $3K or $15K now because of inflation. I like the car, but the repairs have been too much, but much less than getting a new car, unless I crash the car because there's no brakes.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
February 20th, 2022 at 4:37:30 PM permalink
Batteries can go fast in Vegas. Having lived in the northeast…it seems extreme hot has a more detrimental affect than colder northeast temps. Just anecdotal, but my batteries lasted longer not in Vegas.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 20th, 2022 at 4:39:04 PM permalink
I'm wondering if the cell phone charger is an issue?

When we traveled to Salt Lake City I took the cell phone charger with me and used it in my ex's car.

Hmmm.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 20th, 2022 at 4:43:27 PM permalink

When we traveled to Salt Lake City I took the cell phone charger with me and used it in my ex's car.

Hmmm.
link to original post

Yeah there’s a lot more going on with the car market now than inflation. It’s mostly a supply problem not inflation: or expect even if to a lesser extent it’s going to reverberate in the used car market for quite a while after the new car market settles back in since there’s going to be at least a three year span with atypically low number of cars produced.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Thanked by
mcallister3200ChumpChange
February 20th, 2022 at 4:45:11 PM permalink

I hear apartment rents are going up in some locales by 30% to 50% to over 100% in recent months. The inflation danger is real. I saw one YouTuber go to a car sales lot and the car dealer was doubling the prices of his $50,000 vehicles with a $50,000 surcharge. For what? Cargo ships? I don't know.

I got a misdirected piece of mail and my neighbor is paying $320/month for a lease on a new car.

I have no idea if my clunker junker old car is worth $3K or $15K now because of inflation. I like the car, but the repairs have been too much, but much less than getting a new car, unless I crash the car because there's no brakes.
link to original post

I’ve been offered WAY more than what I believe the value of my used car is…by the dealer, no less.

Problem is, no place to go. Used car prices have utterly soared. What hasn’t?

I used to be able to go to Gaudin Ford here in Vegas and have my pick of new Mustangs. 30-35 on the lot. Last time I was there…2 used. It should be easing eventually, but buying a new or used car right now is not easy..unless you just want to take whatever they have.

Apartment rentals have also soared. My former 2 bedroom in Summerlin was $1,300. Last I saw…$2,800 now. A lot of these places have also introduced new requirements. They want 5 to 1. Income to rent. That’s in excess of $150,000.

Condos that were $260,000 in Summerlin 3 years ago are now selling $400,000 to $450,000.

Covid did a number on Vegas. It brought in wealthy Californians escaping high taxes who could work from home during Covid. They decided to relocate to Vegas. In the process, they have driven up rents and home prices to points that are not sustainable for the Vegas tourism workforce.

Coming problem.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 20th, 2022 at 4:47:40 PM permalink

Hmmm.
link to original post

It's a pretty easy test, and the price is right since I think you'll cut yourself a break on the billing to pull the plug out of the socket.

Only you can decide if you prefer to pay for a few repairs or a car payment.
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 20th, 2022 at 4:49:57 PM permalink

Hmmm.
link to original post

I doubt it…but you never know.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 20th, 2022 at 4:58:09 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

link to original post

I’ve been offered WAY more than what I believe the value of my used car is…by the dealer, no less.

Problem is, no place to go. Used car prices have utterly soared. What hasn’t?

I used to be able to go to Gaudin Ford here in Vegas and have my pick of new Mustangs. 30-35 on the lot. Last time I was there…2 used. It should be easing eventually, but buying a new or used car right now is not easy..unless you just want to take whatever they have.

Apartment rentals have also soared. My former 2 bedroom in Summerlin was $1,300. Last I saw…$2,800 now. A lot of these places have also introduced new requirements. They want 5 to 1. Income to rent. That’s in excess of $150,000.

Condos that were $260,000 in Summerlin 3 years ago are now selling $400,000 to $450,000.

Covid did a number on Vegas. It brought in wealthy Californians escaping high taxes who could work from home during Covid. They decided to relocate to Vegas. In the process, they have driven up rents and home prices to points that are not sustainable for the Vegas tourism workforce.

Coming problem.
link to original post

Yup. Now coming to you the Vegas where the employees serving you live in their vehicle or rents a bedroom if they don’t have one of the posh jobs.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
February 20th, 2022 at 5:00:58 PM permalink
I hear Teslas are tops with the climate control and just overall being able to rough it with sleeping in the car. But with the blazing sun out west I guess car fires should be expected.

Some of the e-mail I get: VEHICLE ON FIRE I-90 - NYS THRUWAY WESTBOUND AT MILEPOST 310.6 BETWEEN EXIT 40 AND EXIT 41 Vehicle on fire, right lane blocked I-90 - NYS Thruway westbound at milepost 310.6 between exit 40 and exit 41 08:20:08PM 2/20/22

There's Tesla charging stations at the casino right off Exit 41. So this vehicle didn't quite make it there.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Feb 20, 2022
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
February 20th, 2022 at 5:02:32 PM permalink

Milder temps can help a car battery stay charged longer. When it's 0 degrees out, the car battery can lose 2/3rds of its strength. Whether that strength returns because it's not frosty out anymore, idk. I used to think it was only the voltage that started the car, but even with a voltage meter sticking out of my cig lighter saying 11.1 volts, it may not have the cold cranking amps to start the car. So I picked up a cold cranking amps meter tester from Amazon for $50+ and I can test the CCA at my leisure, but I'd have to remove the back seat because that's where the battery is, such a pain. I could pay the garage $25 to recharge my battery, but they're booked up. The battery is under warranty still, so I only want to go there if I'm sure I've exhausted other remedies. They've already told me a few times I don't drive enough, so they are just gonna stick with that if I have a problem with the battery. Well, what is driving enough? I don't know. I bought a battery pack jump starter, that I have to connect to the battery under the back seat. I've already lost the USB 3.0 charging cable that came with it, so I have to go to WalMart and find a replacement. I've had to jump the car 4 times in the past 6 weeks, once with AAA. We've had a foot of snow followed by 0 degree nights for many nights, then a week later it thaws out and I can attempt to dig out and jump my car and drive it for a couple hours.
When it's warmer my car can last 5 to 7 days between drives. When it's this wintry, I can't get past the snow to find out how many days it will last. Today is a warm day and I haven't driven since 3 days ago and I'm almost out of Gatorade and the local store was out of Gatorade, so I'm likely to go on a multicity search for Gatorade soon.

I picked up the GOOLOO GP2000 Jump Starter 2000A Peak Car Starter for Up to 9L Gas or 7L Diesel Engine SuperSafe 12V Jump Box Auto Lithium Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with USB Quick Charge, Type-C Port - https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-GP2000-Starter-SuperSafe-Portable/dp/B09HYVM6ZT
2000 amps because 500 may not be enough in the cold, lol.
link to original post

11.1V is a battery that's either flat or has a defective cell. Fully charged should be 13V or more.

Have you checked that you don't have a light left on, such as maybe a glovebox light, trunk light, sunshade make-up light? You need to connect an ammeter in series with the battery with nothing turned on. Drain current should be negligible (Just the remote receiver and alarm) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCT-YZbU5o
Driving your car or just running at a fast tickover for 30 mins should fully charge the battery. Or of course just use a battery charger. You don't actually need to the battery if you can charge through cigar lighter or at the fuse box. No need to drive 100 miles.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Ace2
Ace2
February 20th, 2022 at 5:13:41 PM permalink

Hmmm.
link to original post

Doubt it. That's a very small draw on a car battery that would take a VERY long time to have any effect.

In my last two cars, the outlet on dash only works when engine is running but the outlet inside the console is always on. I have a small flashlight plugged into the console outlet so it's continuously charging, even when the car is off. Never caused a battery problem

The battery is continuously powering a few small things like clock and radio presets.
MrV
MrV
February 20th, 2022 at 5:26:27 PM permalink
Alan, if you're too cheap or too poor to pay $200.00 for a new battery then look around for a used one: they're out there.

Alas, you'd be a damned fool to buy a used battery without first testing it, and since the test would have to be done on site you'd need to (shudder) pay ten or so bucks for a portable battery tester.

No matter what you do it's gonna cost you ...
"What, me worry?"
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
February 20th, 2022 at 5:31:27 PM permalink
My cig lighter turns off when I turn off the car, and that includes the ashtray light. So I don't think a solar trickle charger that plugs into my cig lighter is gonna be effective. I'd have to turn the key to accessory and let it charge for hours and hours, and stuff gets stolen in my parking lot in 5 minutes, so not that.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 20th, 2022 at 5:36:56 PM permalink

My cig lighter turns off when I turn off the car, and that includes the ashtray light. So I don't think a solar trickle charger that plugs into my cig lighter is gonna be effective. I'd have to turn the key to accessory and let it charge for hours and hours, and stuff gets stolen in my parking lot in 5 minutes, so not that.
link to original post

CC, you probably need to get your car fixed.

I'm all for saving money, but I think this is a case where you can't afford to save the cost of a battery.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
February 20th, 2022 at 6:07:07 PM permalink
Yeah, but this is how last winter went too. So my last option is to drive to infinity and beyond, or at least to 12.6 volts and then check the CCA and see if it got anywhere near its rated 700 CCA.
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 20th, 2022 at 6:17:05 PM permalink

My car is a 2003 Mercedes with 356,000 miles. It looks great with no body damage, and an interior that's clean and no one has ever smoked in it.

BUT my car's book value is only $500 because of the age and mileage and a new battery is more than $200.
AAA doesnt provide batteries anymore for Mercedes and BMW and I'm just too lazy to go to a car shop to replace it.

link to original post

You’re looking at it wrong, imo.

The fact that you’ll lose $600 playing craps and question the $200 to keep your transportation going tells me your priorities are not functioning properly.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 20th, 2022 at 7:25:12 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Hmmm.
link to original post

It's a pretty easy test, and the price is right since I think you'll cut yourself a break on the billing to pull the plug out of the socket.

Only you can decide if you prefer to pay for a few repairs or a car payment.
link to original post

After your post suggesting the phone charger I immediately went to my car and pulled the charger out of the lighter socket.

Then I realized my alarm system is always drawing power. There's an alarm on my radio too.

I've been lucky. I got my 2003 in December of 2002. I've only had regular maintenance plus a couple of water pumps and a fuel pump which is expected in 19+ years of driving.

I dread the idea of buying another car.

My Mercedes cost about $30k when I got it. What would a new one cost? $90k perhaps?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 20th, 2022 at 7:35:20 PM permalink

link to original post

The fact that you’ll lose $600 playing craps and question the $200 to keep your transportation going tells me your priorities are not functioning properly.
link to original post

Look at it this way: my battery bought two years ago had a 5 year warranty. But the warranty is pro rated.

My battery shouldn't be failing after two years.

As I said I'm too lazy to get a replacement battery. And I just have a problem putting a new battery in a $500 car.

By the way... two repair shop owners have approached me... one at a car wash another at a gas station. They both offered me $2000 just so they could use my car for parts. My original chrome wheels are still on the car.

My son said he could scrap my car for $4-5,000.

Anyway... I still have a few free jumps on my AAA membership for this year. So there's no need for a new battery yet.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
February 20th, 2022 at 8:53:24 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Look at it this way: my battery bought two years ago had a 5 year warranty. But the warranty is pro rated.

As I said I'm too lazy to get a replacement battery. And I just have a problem putting a new battery in a $500 car.

By the way... two repair shop owners have approached me... one at a car wash another at a gas station. They both offered me $2000 just so they could use my car for parts. My original chrome wheels are still on the car.

Anyway... I still have a few free jumps on my AAA membership for this year. So there's no need for a new battery yet.
link to original post

You mean part out not scrap that car would have to weigh a lot to scrap for 4-5k

If that car is in sound mechanical shape get a battery and drive it until the wheels fall off.
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 20th, 2022 at 9:38:08 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

You’ve gotten your moneys worth out of the vehicle. As another poster mentioned…run it until it dies. I wouldn’t even equate the battery cost with the cars value.

16-17 years of no car payments means your are an enigma in todays world where car lease payments for people are akin to cell phone payments…IOW, a standard part of economic life.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 20th, 2022 at 10:04:36 PM permalink
I’m about 40 and have never had a car payment in my life. I’ve also never bought a brand new car I guess. I can’t imagine taking a loan out on a used car.
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 20th, 2022 at 10:19:36 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I’m about 40 and have never had a car payment in my life.
link to original post

About 1/3 of the population carry a loan on vehicles.

Also…about 1 in 4 cars sold are leased.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 21st, 2022 at 12:02:27 AM permalink

After your post suggesting the phone charger I immediately went to my car and pulled the charger out of the lighter socket.

Then I realized my alarm system is always drawing power. There's an alarm on my radio too.

I've been lucky. I got my 2003 in December of 2002. I've only had regular maintenance plus a couple of water pumps and a fuel pump which is expected in 19+ years of driving.

I dread the idea of buying another car.

My Mercedes cost about $30k when I got it. What would a new one cost? $90k perhaps?
link to original post

No alternator replacement? I'd expect an alternator to go at least once a decade.

The alarms and cell charger shouldn't be draining the battery twice a day if the alternator is fully charging the battery.

I think your total repair bill may be less than one payment on a new car.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 21st, 2022 at 12:48:36 AM permalink
When AAA came out in October to jump the car they checked things like the alternator. The only thing they found was a weak battery. And they made that inspection both times I had my car jumped.

There are a couple of reasons I think my car has done so well.

First, I dont abuse it. I drive like an old man.

Second, no accidents. Accidents kill cars.

Third, oil changes. As Jay Leno said... if you get regular oil changes there's no reason your car cant run forever.

But water pumps have given out. You might not know this but Mercedes have two water pumps. One is buried inside the engine and is never supposed to fail. Unfortunately both of my water pumps have failed and that pump inside the engine was a pricey repair.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
February 21st, 2022 at 4:12:10 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Since when are car batteries $200???
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 21st, 2022 at 5:21:09 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

link to original post

I'm guessing it's AGM, not flooded. Probably a big battery in a weird location, too.
AGM batteries have been expensive since forever.
billryan
billryan
February 21st, 2022 at 7:02:50 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The battery for my BMW was more than that. I thought it was nuts, and even spent a few hours on the internet looking for alternatives.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 21st, 2022 at 8:54:17 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I paid $175 for the basic. Ted Wiens. That was maybe a year or so ago before inflation really kicked in. Not surprised at all by $200. In fact I’m seeing prices on everyday things causing me to do a double take.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 21st, 2022 at 10:50:00 AM permalink

I paid $175 for the basic. Ted Wiens. That was maybe a year or so ago before inflation really kicked in. Not surprised at all by $200. In fact I’m seeing prices on everyday things causing me to do a double take.
link to original post

Having moved just a couple of months ago I keep catching myself saying how expensive everything in Florida is. Sadly, I think it is that way everywhere but I just keep blaming it on my move.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 21st, 2022 at 10:52:28 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Having moved just a couple of months ago I keep catching myself saying how expensive everything in Florida is. Sadly, I think it is that way everywhere but I just keep blaming it on my move.
link to original post

Everything has spiked. My guess is no region has been spared.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
February 21st, 2022 at 1:33:51 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Sorry to hear that, I think people are unnecessarily paying extra for name brands and warranties. As long as a battery has the right cranking power and 12 volts, that's what I'm going with, I guess it has to fit and the battery cables have to reach as well.
My mentality must have something to do with going back to when I was a teenager not having the money to buy a proper new battery for that particular car, I just found whatever old battery that would hold a charge and tossed it in there, that always seemed to work just fine.

I don't know how many batteries I've been through here in Las Vegas, maybe 4 - 6, even though I could afford the proper battery, I would just find a reasonably priced battery for around 50-75 bucks and put it in. I can understand spending the extra money if you have some brand new car or something unique that requires it. In Allan's case, I would get a cheap battery and pop it in there instead of messing with AAA and all that other BS.
I've had cars stall out in the middle of busy intersections due to electrical problems and that is absolutely not fun(okay one car, but multiple times).

Coincidentally, I just went through all of this in the last 3 weeks on our second vehicle, perhaps I'll write about that later.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Ace2
Ace2
Thanked by
mcallister3200
February 21st, 2022 at 2:17:34 PM permalink
I estimate that the combined time we've spent on this thread is worth 30 new car batteries
billryan
billryan
February 21st, 2022 at 2:20:03 PM permalink
My Mazda has a battery the size of a women's makeup bag while the BMW has a huge battery, bigger than an average car battery.
Everyone I spoke to told me to get the battery recommended by BMW even though it was a lot more money.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 21st, 2022 at 2:37:12 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I estimate that the combined time we've spent on this thread is worth 30 new car batteries
link to original post

30 $70 dollar car batteries or $200?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
mcallister3200
February 21st, 2022 at 2:41:25 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Quote: Ace2

link to original post

30 $70 dollar car batteries or $200?
link to original post

Yes.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
February 21st, 2022 at 4:24:56 PM permalink
Axelwolf cheap batteries dont work in a Mercedes. LOL
MrV
MrV
February 21st, 2022 at 4:38:38 PM permalink

Axelwolf cheap batteries dont work in a Mercedes. LOL

Ridiculous.

I found a battery for a 2003 Mercedes for less than a hundred bucks.

see:

PRESTOLITE VALUE PLUS (EX)
BATTERY. PRESTOLITE
Battery SUPERSEDED CCA: 850; CRANKING AMPS: 1000; RESERVE MIN = 140 BATT MUST BE VENTED OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE; OE CCA: 825
$90.59
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: