Thread Rating:

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 3rd, 2023 at 4:46:07 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I am currently reading "1863", an alternative history of the Civil War. It started well enough, but somehow the author has half of The Army of North Virginia fighting in Pennsylvania, then boarding a train and arriving in Mississippi two days later with their wagons and pack animals. They then march from Vicksburg to Nashville in under a week. A Civil War army moved at a pace of 15-20 miles a day, and a few units could do thirty miles in a day, but 450 miles would normally take a month. For some bizarre reason, the author keeps talking about how young and pretty General Grant's aides and attaches are, and it seems to imply the entire Union army is less manly than their rebel counterparts.
He uses the fact that many Union soldiers wore glasses as a sign of their inferiority, whereas the truth was many Southern soldiers were dirt poor and couldn't afford them.
link to original post

Who is the author ?
It’s all about making that GTA
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
gordonm888
February 5th, 2023 at 2:48:08 AM permalink

am looking forward to reading this new book re the assassination of President Garfield which was carried out by Charles J. Guiteau

the author links him to the Oneida Community in the late 1800s which was a free love, religious communal society

https://www.amazon.com/Assassin-Utopia-Nineteenth-Century-Presidents-Murder-ebook/dp/B0B3YCVPRW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LD60DLEFRUDQ&keywords=an+assassin+in+utopia&qid=1675593652&s=digital-text&sprefix=an+assassin+in+u%2Cdigital-text%2C64&sr=1-1

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 5, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 9th, 2023 at 7:01:47 AM permalink
Xenocide - Orson Scott Card. I believe this is #3 in the Ender's Game series. This is not a children's book.

On Deck: Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson. I'm due for a re-read.
May the cards fall in your favor.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 9th, 2023 at 10:22:49 AM permalink
An avid reader all my life, I was reading less and less, maybe a couple of books a year, plus some magazines partly read. I knew my declining vision was one of the reasons, but mostly I was in denial about it. I can read books and magazines, but my eyes get tired really quick.

Recently, I finally got a Kindle, once I was assured you can enlarge the print as much as you need. This has made all the difference, I'm back to about 2 books a month now, plus a magazine I like that kept shrinking the print and using shiny paper.

Currently reading Fatal Lies, by Frank Tallis. If you have seen "Vienna Blood" on PBS, that is based on this author's work. I'm going to read all those books.

Tallis not topping though my favorite authors at the moment, who are Dennis Lehane, Robert K Massie, Pete Dexter, and Erik Larson
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
February 9th, 2023 at 12:13:40 PM permalink
Guy Gavriel Kay is one of my favorite authors. I am re-reading this one.

The story starts with a young woman who assassinates a lord of a city-state (a monster who rapes and kills young women and men) who is then helped to escape by a young scholar who happens upon the scene. The story gradually expands to 6-7 characters in a plot that is impossible to summarize. Beautifully written.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 11th, 2023 at 1:09:31 PM permalink

Billy Walters autobiography - not coming out until August - he was definitely the GOAT sports bettor - won many millions - and quite a character

I really doubt there will be tremendously valuable secrets passed on as the subtitle suggests - but who knows - even if not it will prolly be an enjoyable read

https://www.amazon.com/Gambler-Secrets-Life-at-Risk-ebook/dp/B0BTDVLPQF

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 11th, 2023 at 3:33:54 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Billy Walters autobiography - not coming out until August - he was definitely the GOAT sports bettor - won many millions - and quite a character

I really doubt there will be tremendously valuable secrets passed on as the subtitle suggests - but who knows - even if not it will prolly be an enjoyable read

link to original post

Please let me know what you think of it. That sounds like a book I will probably want to read. I love autobiographies.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 12th, 2023 at 2:59:11 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Please let me know what you think of it. That sounds like a book I will probably want to read. I love autobiographies.
link to original post

while we're waiting for the book you might enjoy this interview with 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗔𝗡

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 12th, 2023 at 11:19:15 AM permalink
I am reading my first Agatha Christie novel, "Death on the Nile," written almost 100 years ago.

It is interesting to note the differences in the way she writes compared to how modern mystery writers approach their craft: tough to quantify but certainly different.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 12th, 2023 at 6:15:42 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You can write yours but it would consist mostly of you went to the gas station, ate a hot dog, came home, laid on the couch for 14 hours watching sports, went to bed. Repeat tomorrow. Not a bestseller..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ace2
Ace2
Thanked by
odiousgambit
February 12th, 2023 at 6:48:18 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

[
You can write yours but it would consist mostly of you went to the gas station, ate a hot dog, came home, laid on the couch for 14 hours watching sports, went to bed. Repeat tomorrow. Not a bestseller..
link to original post

About as interesting as: I set my clocks three hours ahead of local time, posted a picture of my lunch, posted a clip about how life was in the 1950s, then fed the cats
DRich
DRich
February 13th, 2023 at 3:54:38 AM permalink

[
link to original post

Sadly, you are correct. I do not have the same exciting life that you and Billy Waters have.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 13th, 2023 at 5:05:31 AM permalink

my favorite author is William Faulkner - his style is very different - he's very deep - very long sentences expressing many different ideas - he can be difficult to read - but imho it's worth it to take the extra time to try and follow him

"Go Down Moses" and "Light in August" are my favorite books of all time

I will often reread those books

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 13, 2023
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 13th, 2023 at 6:24:02 AM permalink
Don’t quote Dickens in my apartment. - Orgazmo
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2023 at 12:05:51 PM permalink

[
link to original post

Sadly, you are correct. I do not have the same exciting life that you and Billy Waters have.
link to original post

Easily corrected. For starters try sitting up watching sports instead of lying down. This could lead to other inspirations now that your blood is not all pooling in your head and you can think clearly.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 13th, 2023 at 12:41:56 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

[
link to original post

About as interesting as: I set my clocks three hours ahead of local time, posted a picture of my lunch, posted a clip about how life was in the 1950s, then fed the cats
link to original post

My two hours a day experiment works excellently and makes for some great anecdotes. It never seemed fair New Yorkers got their Happy hour two hours before I did.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
February 13th, 2023 at 12:46:52 PM permalink
Medicare Made Easy: A What to Do Guide for Americans Approaching Age 65.

They certainly don't make it easy to choose the right programs.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2023 at 1:32:25 PM permalink

link to original post

Just turn your calendar back 6 months and you have all that extra time to make up your mind. Isn't that what you think you're doing, adding actual extra time to your life by screwing with your clocks? The rest of us are on just harmless daylight savings time but you've discovered a time machine. Brilliant.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 13th, 2023 at 2:45:20 PM permalink
I'm still waiting to buy EB's book on how to beat Roulette. Maybe Frank Scoblete can help him write it.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 13th, 2023 at 3:21:06 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I'm still waiting on how to beat Roulette.

no need to wait - the secrets were revealed long ago - those in the know - well let's just say this - they know things

let the good times roll

billryan
billryan
February 13th, 2023 at 3:25:45 PM permalink

link to original post

Just turn your calendar back 6 months and you have all that extra time to make up your mind. Isn't that what you think you're doing, adding actual extra time to your life by screwing with your clocks? The rest of us are on just harmless daylight savings time but you've discovered a time machine. Brilliant.
link to original post

No, but I can understand how you wouldn't comprehend it. I'm adjusting my daily clock so I have more productive time and less unproductive hours. It's a shame that this bothers you so much. I hope it doesn't affect your quality time with your many cats.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2023 at 6:09:53 PM permalink

I'm still waiting to buy EB's book on how to beat Roulette. ]

I might write a book about cats but that's about it. Want to buy a book about cats?
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2023 at 6:12:09 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

No, but I can understand how you wouldn't comprehend it. I'm adjusting my daily clock so I have more productive time and less unproductive hours. It's a shame that this bothers you so much. I hope it doesn't affect your quality time with your many cats.
link to original post

Just get rid of your clock and do whatever you want. Live on pretend time, that's the ticket.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2023 at 6:15:06 PM permalink

I'm still waiting on how to beat Roulette.

no need to wait - the secrets were revealed long ago - ]

There are no secrets, just put in the required 10,000 hours of work and you're good to go. Supposedly that's how long it takes to learn any profession is 10,000 hours of work and study. Most gamblers are good for about 2 hours before their attention span wanders so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 14th, 2023 at 1:23:01 AM permalink

in the short story "Fifty Grand" - Hemingway left us something great

it's the story of a crooked boxing match - the Champion, Jack Brennan, fixes the fight - plans to lose the fight - to make a betting coup

he justifies his actions by saying, "It ain't crooked. How can I beat him? Why not make money on it?"

my all time fave short story

the entire story is at the link:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1927/07/fifty-grand/648941/

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 14, 2023
DRich
DRich
February 14th, 2023 at 4:28:59 AM permalink

I'm still waiting to buy EB's book on how to beat Roulette. ]

I might write a book about cats but that's about it. Want to buy a book about cats?
link to original post

I might buy it. One of my wife's favorite books was written by a cat. I believe it was a story of a cat's life, from the cat's perspective. It may have been an autobiography.
Pawel87
Pawel87
  • Threads: 0
February 14th, 2023 at 4:28:59 AM permalink
The Dwarves lately. Fine sc-fi book if you ask me, but it's a little bit dark later on.
If you're a Tolkien fan when it comes to the dwarves or elfs, you should try.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 14th, 2023 at 11:55:47 AM permalink

in the short story "Fifty Grand" - Hemingway left us something great

it's the story of a crooked boxing match - the Champion, Jack Brennan, fixes the fight - plans to lose the fight - to make a betting coup

he justifies his actions by saying, "It ain't crooked. How can I beat him? Why not make money on it?"

my all time fave short story

the entire story is at the link:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1927/07/fifty-grand/648941/

link to original post

Hemingway himself was a great boxer. When he lived in Key West in the 1930s he had a standing $50 prize for anybody that could beat him boxing and nobody ever did. Lots of them fried but Hemingway was extremely competitive and he always went in for the kill in every boxing match. He was a big guy and he had a wicked left hook and nobody lasted very long with him. $50 in 1935 was over $1,000 in today's money so it wasn't peanuts they were fighting for
Ace2
Ace2
February 17th, 2023 at 1:22:40 PM permalink

Hemingway himself was a great boxer. When he lived in Key West in the 1930s he had a standing $50 prize for anybody that could beat him boxing and nobody ever did. Lots of them fried but Hemingway was extremely competitive and he always went in for the kill in every boxing match. He was a big guy and he had a wicked left hook and nobody lasted very long with him. $50 in 1935 was over $1,000 in today's money so it wasn't peanuts they were fighting for
link to original post

To put that in perspective, $1000 would buy 315 dozen eggs at Walmart today compared to 248 dozen a year ago. Price dropped from $4.02 to $3.17 over last 12 months. Unfortunately, my journal of Walmart egg prices doesn’t go back to 1935
Last edited by: Ace2 on Feb 17, 2023
DRich
DRich
February 17th, 2023 at 3:27:45 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Unfortunately, my journal of Walmart egg prices doesn’t go back to 1935

You would be hard pressed to find those before 1962.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 18th, 2023 at 9:33:20 AM permalink
$1000 today is about $45 in 1935, and a dozen eggs in 1935 cost about $0.24, so you could buy 187 dozen eggs.
DRich
DRich
February 21st, 2023 at 4:44:44 PM permalink
I am just starting a new book called Sandworm. It is about a group of state sponsored Russian hackers.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 22nd, 2023 at 10:26:18 AM permalink
Just starting Foundation (Asimov).

Quite enjoyable, but not what I thought it would be.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2023 at 11:25:48 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Just starting Foundation (Asimov).

Quite enjoyable, but not what I thought it would be.
link to original post

I have not read Asimov since the 1960s. At one time Isaac Asimov was the most published author in the world with 200 books currently in print, 98% of them were science books, he had a huge IQ and could write a science book in about 10 hours but it took him 30 hours to write a science fiction book. Can you imagine writing an entire book in 30 hours, it takes most people months and months and months and that's if you're an experienced author. He had the entire book written in his head before he sat down to type. He kept four selectric typewriters in his home office because two were always broken waiting for repair one worked and the other was a spare and they constantly rotated. Like so many geniuses he had a whole bunch of phobias and was very neurotic. If his wife was 5 minutes late coming home from work he would have panic attacks and imagine all kinds of dire things that probably happened to her like falling in manholes and pianos falling on her head. The price of being a genius..
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
February 22nd, 2023 at 12:39:12 PM permalink
I met Isaac Asimov when he stormed into the administrative office of our Student Union building (at Rensselaer in Troy NY where I was student body president) complaining that no one had met him at the Albany airport. He was incensed that he had had to take a cab. He probably had a righteous complaint, but oh what a first impression he made on everyone, what a temper he had!

He gave a great talk that evening, one that wandered over many topics. I remember him saying that to make a living as a writer, you needed to be intelligent, creative, literate and well-read, a hard worker and devilishly handsome. He then said "I am not at all sure that I am all of those things but at least, beyond any doubt, I am devilishly handsome."

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
February 22nd, 2023 at 12:39:13 PM permalink
I met Isaac Asimov when he stormed into the administrative office of our Student Union building (at Rensselaer in Troy NY where I was student body president) complaining that no one had met him at the Albany airport. He was incensed that he had had to take a cab. He probably had a righteous complaint, but oh what a first impression he made on everyone, what a temper he had!

He gave a great talk that evening, one that wandered over many topics. I remember him saying that to make a living as a writer, you needed to be intelligent, creative, literate and well-read, a hard worker and devilishly handsome. He then said "I am not at all sure that I am all of those things but at least, beyond any doubt, I am devilishly handsome."

EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2023 at 1:11:19 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

Hemingway said basically the same thing about being an author except the good looking part. He said being well read was a huge part of writing and Hemingway read constantly everyday every spare minute that he had when he wasn't fishing or drunk in a bar. He had over 7,000 books in his personal library in Cuba when he died and they are still there.7000 books, some small public libraries don't have 7,000 books. Isaac Asimov was brilliant but he was basically an egotistical asshole as are most genuses. They have very little patience.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 22nd, 2023 at 2:13:38 PM permalink
As I understand, the "good looking" part doesn't much improve the quality of the writing, but can significantly improve the sales figures.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog 
  • Threads: 8
February 22nd, 2023 at 3:43:07 PM permalink

link to original post

Asimov might have been complaining about not being met at the train or bus station instead of at the airport since he was famously afraid of flying.

Here's something from http://asimovonline.com/asimov_FAQ.html:

Is it true that Asimov had a fear of flying?

Yes, the same author who described spaceflights to other worlds and who argued valiantly for the cause of rationality suffered from an irrational fear of heights and flying. This had the consequence of limiting the range over which he travelled throughout much of his life.
Asimov discovered that he was acrophobic at the New York World's Fair in 1940, when he took his date and first love Irene on a roller coaster, expecting that it would cause her to cling to him in fear and give him a chance to kiss her. Instead it was he who was terrified while his date remained perfectly calm. Two years later, his wife-to-be Gertrude convinced him to ride on a roller coaster at Coney Island, and he was once again terrified.

Asimov did in fact fly on an airplane twice in his life...
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 22nd, 2023 at 4:21:54 PM permalink

"Ward No. 6" is a great and amazing short story by Anton Chekhov

A Doctor visits the mental ward adjacent to the hospital where he works - the patients there are considered lunatics

the Doctor finds one of the patients there to be very intelligent and interesting and has long conversations with him

the people of the town are shocked that he is spending so much time in the mental ward with this patient

the townspeople create a Council and judge the Doctor to be insane

The Doctor is committed to the same mental ward where he was visiting this patient

the complete story can be read at the link if anyone is interested

https://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/ac/w6-01.html

EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2023 at 4:35:30 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

link to original post

Asimov might have been complaining about not being met at the train or bus station instead of at the airport since he was famously afraid of flying.

Here's something from http://asimovonline.com/asimov_FAQ.html:

Is it true that Asimov had a fear of flying?
]

Asimov had more fears and phobias than a cat has fleas. Genius IQ people a lot of the time have overactive imaginations and he was quite miserable a lot of the time.
DRich
DRich
February 22nd, 2023 at 5:13:23 PM permalink
Not a book but this patent I have been reading is incredible and fascinating. I am guessing that this is getting very close to practical civilian uses and wouldn't be shocked if it is already being tested in the military.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20180047462A1/en?oq=2018%2f0047462
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2023 at 5:27:10 PM permalink

Not a book but this patent I have been reading is incredible and fascinating. I am guessing that this is getting very close to practical civilian uses and wouldn't be shocked if it is already being tested in the military.

link to original post

Isn't your main concern that they can use it for making better gas station hot dogs? Ones that can turn on the rotating machine for 2 months and still be edible?
DRich
DRich
February 22nd, 2023 at 5:31:53 PM permalink

link to original post

Isn't your main concern that they can use it for making better gas station hot dogs? Ones that can turn on the rotating machine for 2 months and still be edible?
link to original post

Clearly you did not read and comprehend the patent. Those hot dogs will spin for thousands of years on the spits.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 27th, 2023 at 1:57:20 PM permalink
Not really a book, but there is a genre that seems to be known as "Humans are Space Orcs". A search for "HFY" may lead you.
Not for everyone, but I'm getting a chuckle.

Current checkout list:
The Ships of Earth (Homecoming series)
Idoru
billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 2:20:07 PM permalink
Jackdaws by Ken Follet.

I've been studying and reading about the American Civil War so much that I need a change of pace. I read a few Follet books many years ago and recall enjoying them but I don't really remember them.
DRich
DRich
February 27th, 2023 at 2:26:56 PM permalink

Jackdaws by Ken Follet.

I've been studying and reading about the American Civil War so much that I need a change of pace. I read a few Follet books many years ago and recall enjoying them but I don't really remember them.
link to original post

Let me know how that is. It looks like something that I might read.

When I saw the name I thought might be about Jackdaw birds of which I have no interest.

billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 3:58:00 PM permalink
I thought it was Jack Daws, and googled to see if he was a historic character. I never heard of a jackdaw.

It's about an attempt to blow up France's phone network on D-Day.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Dieter
March 3rd, 2023 at 4:22:52 AM permalink

openlibrary.org has a goal of making every single book ever published available on its site
they claim to have 20 million books currently
I don't really know if that's true

anyway, I've read several books on their site which were not available online from my County library's online service

several publishers have sued them - apparently without success

it's all free - they only require that the user provide an email address

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:35:15 AM permalink
Very amused to realize that I'm learning about libraries while sitting in a town named Alexandria. ;)

Nothing of particular note on the reading list right now.
  • Jump to: