Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
July 23rd, 2021 at 3:49:20 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

ugg.. they switched from the coffee club (buy 5, get 1 free) to this point system last month.
and the free coffee was ANYTHING in their McCafe section.
so i usually chose the most expensive thing (McD's version of a Frapachino).

why couldnt they leave the coffee club in place? :(

Because it offered tangible value to the consumer and was clearly something that some of the customers enjoyed and actually took advantage of as opposed to something that is offered, looks attractive enough on the surface to be a draw, but that the consumer usually does not take advantage of.

If you look at the offerings on the app between when it started and now you even see it. The deals are not that good anymore. Despite that, they still make it so that there's a cool down period, or whatever you would want to call it, between using one deal and another.

Perhaps the worst thing about the McDonald's app is that using a, 'Deal,' can actually cause your order to cost MORE money. It's true. The terms state, as most do, that the offers cannot be used in conjunction with any other coupon or promotion. That's fine, of course, but what they don't (or didn't) explicitly tell you at the time is that they considered, "Value Menu," and Combo pricing a promotion. I guess, "Value Menu," makes sense enough, not that I think anyone would immediately guess that it constitutes a promotion, but combo meals? Combo meals are considered a promotion?

So, much less than scan the thing and their computer system does the computer equivalent of, "Oh, this does not help this person; the price stays the same," their computer system does, "Oh, this negates a combo meal and turns it into separate items, which increases the price before the offer to $XX.xx, now we take off the discount for the offer of $X.xx and the price is this new higher number."

Now, would McDonald's find a way for that to just default to the lower of the two numbers? No, because why would they? That would be basic corporate decency and honesty in marketing---that the consumer presents a coupon that the corporation used to draw them into the establishment and the price-at worst-stays the same.

Burger King is absurdly cheap and their app is pretty much the same thing as just the coupons in the mail circular. It just saves you the need to have those actual coupons. I mean, Burger King's whole schtick is that it is overall fairly disgusting, but cheap. I'm not even sure that they deny their food sucks in the advertising anymore.

WENDY's has the best fast food burgers (around me) AND the best app. Let's look at today:

Quote: Mission's Wendy's App

Free Pub Fries w/Mobile Purchase
$2 Off Any Premium Combo
50% Off Any Kids Meal
Free Medium Fry with Purchase of Premium Sandwich
$4 Off Mobile Order of $20 or More
Free Small Frosty-ccino or Coffee w/Purchase

Okay, so why is Wendy's a good app? Wendy's is a good app because every single one of those offers does what it says. It does exactly what it says. The two closest things to, "Catches," are that the $4 off mobile order is pretax (standard) and the free small beverage does not apply as part of a combo (how would it?) and would be a separate beverage.

The closest thing to a catch would be that a person might have to ask what is or is not a premium sandwich or combo.

Contrast that to McDonald's where, suppose you had a coupon for an item totally unrelated to a combo that you'd also ordered that you decided to use, congratulations, you just negated your combo pricing and, as often as not, caused your overall food order to increase in price. The only, "Safe," workaround was to do your app/coupon order at McDonald's completely separately from everything else that you wanted, so do two orders, which creates waste and more work for the employees.

But, more than anything, it tells me what corporate Wendy's thinks of its loyal (or intended to be loyal) customers compared to corporate McDonald's. Wendy's likes them and wants to make deals easy to understand, use and not deceptive---McDonald's hates their customers and wants their deals to be deceptive and cost the consumer more money.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 6:14:04 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Personally, I'm persona non grata at Rally's in Las Vegas. I'm sorry, but who the hell puts mustard on a chili cheese dog?

I am fine if someone wants to add mustard to their dog. but let the customer do it. I don't use any condiments.
Order from chaos
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 262
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 10:53:34 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Because it offered tangible value to the consumer and was clearly something that some of the customers enjoyed and actually took advantage of as opposed to something that is offered, looks attractive enough on the surface to be a draw, but that the consumer usually does not take advantage of.

If you look at the offerings on the app between when it started and now you even see it. The deals are not that good anymore. Despite that, they still make it so that there's a cool down period, or whatever you would want to call it, between using one deal and another.

Perhaps the worst thing about the McDonald's app is that using a, 'Deal,' can actually cause your order to cost MORE money. It's true. The terms state, as most do, that the offers cannot be used in conjunction with any other coupon or promotion. That's fine, of course, but what they don't (or didn't) explicitly tell you at the time is that they considered, "Value Menu," and Combo pricing a promotion. I guess, "Value Menu," makes sense enough, not that I think anyone would immediately guess that it constitutes a promotion, but combo meals? Combo meals are considered a promotion?

So, much less than scan the thing and their computer system does the computer equivalent of, "Oh, this does not help this person; the price stays the same," their computer system does, "Oh, this negates a combo meal and turns it into separate items, which increases the price before the offer to $XX.xx, now we take off the discount for the offer of $X.xx and the price is this new higher number."

Now, would McDonald's find a way for that to just default to the lower of the two numbers? No, because why would they? That would be basic corporate decency and honesty in marketing---that the consumer presents a coupon that the corporation used to draw them into the establishment and the price-at worst-stays the same.

Burger King is absurdly cheap and their app is pretty much the same thing as just the coupons in the mail circular. It just saves you the need to have those actual coupons. I mean, Burger King's whole schtick is that it is overall fairly disgusting, but cheap. I'm not even sure that they deny their food sucks in the advertising anymore.

WENDY's has the best fast food burgers (around me) AND the best app. Let's look at today:

Okay, so why is Wendy's a good app? Wendy's is a good app because every single one of those offers does what it says. It does exactly what it says. The two closest things to, "Catches," are that the $4 off mobile order is pretax (standard) and the free small beverage does not apply as part of a combo (how would it?) and would be a separate beverage.

The closest thing to a catch would be that a person might have to ask what is or is not a premium sandwich or combo.

Contrast that to McDonald's where, suppose you had a coupon for an item totally unrelated to a combo that you'd also ordered that you decided to use, congratulations, you just negated your combo pricing and, as often as not, caused your overall food order to increase in price. The only, "Safe," workaround was to do your app/coupon order at McDonald's completely separately from everything else that you wanted, so do two orders, which creates waste and more work for the employees.

But, more than anything, it tells me what corporate Wendy's thinks of its loyal (or intended to be loyal) customers compared to corporate McDonald's. Wendy's likes them and wants to make deals easy to understand, use and not deceptive---McDonald's hates their customers and wants their deals to be deceptive and cost the consumer more money.

Here in NY the tax was 8 1/4% back in the 90's.

Dollar menu items at Burger King would always add up to $1.08

McDonald's would always add up to $1.09.

That's because they had the discretion to charge that 1/4% or not (can't actually collect a 1/4 penny.

I'm certain McDonald's collected an extra penny which probably added up to millions in extra cash (I am certain they didn't report the 1/4 penny.)

So Burger King always got my respect. And I prefer their burgers as well
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mission146
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:21:26 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Here in NY the tax was 8 1/4% back in the 90's.

Dollar menu items at Burger King would always add up to $1.08

McDonald's would always add up to $1.09.

That's because they had the discretion to charge that 1/4% or not (can't actually collect a 1/4 penny.

I'm certain McDonald's collected an extra penny which probably added up to millions in extra cash (I am certain they didn't report the 1/4 penny.)

So Burger King always got my respect. And I prefer their burgers as well

That may well be the case, but even then, I wouldn't blow a gasket over that.

The matter at hand is something that is much more fundamental than even the rounding on tax---it is the simple concept that someone should not be in a situation where they use a coupon, and therefore, get charged more actual money for the same items than they would have been otherwise. That's simply not what a coupon is supposed to be.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:22:38 PM permalink
Like, would you go into a store with a coupon that says, "Present this at the time of checkout, and we will ADD $3 to any purchase of $50, or more"?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 262
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:23:24 PM permalink

The matter at hand is something that is much more fundamental than even the rounding on tax---it is the simple concept that someone should not be in a situation where they use a coupon, and therefore, get charged more actual money for the same items than they would have been otherwise. That's simply not what a coupon is supposed to be.

I'm in agreement.

Was pointing out McDonald's has always been in a screw the customer/drain him of every cent mentality.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mission146
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:24:04 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I'm in agreement.

Was pointing out McDonald's has always been in a screw the customer/drain him of every cent mentality.

It certainly seems that way.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:24:21 PM permalink

Capitalism is all about charging as much as you can for something. If an idiot wants to buy 5 for $5, let him. It is not my job to explain that $0.80 each is only $4.
Order from chaos
Mission146
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:34:12 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Capitalism is all about charging as much as you can for something. If an idiot wants to buy 5 for $5, let him. It is not my job to explain that $0.80 each is only $4.

Hmmm...we'd better carry this over to DT if we want to continue this line.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 50
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 6:14:32 PM permalink
Did we emphasize enough how unhealthy these hamburgers and fries are?

I'm on a diet that is near-zero carbs, no high-fructose corn syrup, no fried food and certainly no fast food -because I messed up my body from decades of eating fast food. Now, its chicken, seafood and blades of grass all the way down.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.

• Jump to: